Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have left a 4000 word essays until the last minute (almost) and now have 8 days to start and finish it. To make it worse, I currently do not know the smallest thing about what I am going to write about so I still need to go through the lectures and I did not attend the seminar so basically I am self teaching this whole essay.

The journals I need to read are huge. This is mostly due to my dissertation have been changed at the last minute due to "clerical" errors so I pretty much had to re-do that and this module had to take a back seat.

I have so far achieved high 2:1 and 1sts across my degree and really want to achieve 65% atleast but feel so demotivated as I may have ruined all the hard work by leaving this essay so late.

Anyone have any tips on how I can do well? I still have 2 exams but I am prepared for those, so will just be revising 2 hours ish a day on each module and the remaining for the essay.

ReputationRep:
    8 days to do a 4,000 word assignment is do-able. Not sure how well you would do, but, it all depends on the research you do from now till the deadline. Most people will have left it till now and a lot of people tend to only spend 1-2 weeks doing an assignment, so you are not actually that dis-advantaged.

I am sure someone will be able to give you advice on how to best complete it, but the time frame is completely do-able.

ReputationRep:
    It's doable if you get started on it now and knuckle down to it. I've just done a 3,000 word essay in 5 days.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely possible. I've recently done a 3000 essay in 2 days and a 9000 in less than a week. It all depends on how well you work under pressure and also managing your time. Don't waste your time on unnecessary things and organize a specific time for your essay as well as to revise. Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAWS97)
    I have left a 4000 word essays until the last minute (almost) and now have 8 days to start and finish it. To make it worse, I currently do not know the smallest thing about what I am going to write about so I still need to go through the lectures and I did not attend the seminar so basically I am self teaching this whole essay.

The journals I need to read are huge. This is mostly due to my dissertation have been changed at the last minute due to "clerical" errors so I pretty much had to re-do that and this module had to take a back seat.

I have so far achieved high 2:1 and 1sts across my degree and really want to achieve 65% atleast but feel so demotivated as I may have ruined all the hard work by leaving this essay so late.

Anyone have any tips on how I can do well? I still have 2 exams but I am prepared for those, so will just be revising 2 hours ish a day on each module and the remaining for the essay.
    nothings impossible if you have a plan ^_^:
    1. Read parts of the journal while notting down key components;To quicken speed; find a summary of the journal to get at least a basic idea and then expand by reading it; youll feel more confident reading it and it will sound more familiar - youll be less confused

2. Find some previous topics done and try using a similar idea - DONT COPY IT COMPLETELY AS IT CAN BE CALLED AS PLAGIARISM

3. Start of with a bullet point plan with ALL essential facts and figures

4. Convert these points to paragraphs and sentences

5. Proof read as you write - each paragraph keep proofreading - its much quicker than re-reading the whole thing

This is how i did all my essays and coursework and managed to sustain a high grade with minimal amounts of time; I wish you the very best!!
    GOOD LUCK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohanjain2602)
    5. Proof read as you write - each paragraph keep proofreading - its much quicker than re-reading the whole thing

This is how i did all my essays and coursework and managed to sustain a high grade with minimal amounts of time; I wish you the very best!!
    GOOD LUCK
    That point is actually a very good, in fact, it is something I have never actually done and will do from now on. I usually leave proof reading till after and what it usually means is, I read the first page and get bored, come back and re-start from the first page. Usually my first page gets read 10 times and is fool proof whereas the latter parts of my essays are never read more than once and are plagued with mistakes!

OP: Definitely take that advice on board!

Just out of curiosity, did you do law and, how much time did you give yourself to write a similar size essay to the OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Equitable)
    That point is actually a very good, in fact, it is something I have never actually done and will do from now on. I usually leave proof reading till after and what it usually means is, I read the first page and get bored, come back and re-start from the first page. Usually my first page gets read 10 times and is fool proof whereas the latter parts of my essays are never read more than once and are plagued with mistakes!

OP: Definitely take that advice on board!

Just out of curiosity, did you do law and, how much time did you give yourself to write a similar size essay to the OP?
    You can Microsoft Sam it, so you can be passive and still notice odd expressions.

ReputationRep:

Hell yeah, i got at 2000 word essay done in 14 hours, and i went 500 words over the word count
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    And ya bish got an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    You can Microsoft Sam it, so you can be passive and still notice odd expressions.
    I tried that with my contract essay. I chuckled at how it pronounced some of the judges names and case names

ReputationRep:

Have you started yet?

ReputationRep:
    4000 words is not a very big volume for 8 days, it is possible to finish earlier. Just pick an appropriate topic which is close to you and try to expand on it being original (professors love when students touch social problems by the way). Avoid copy and paste, and try to check your text with a plagiarism checker (even if you're fair, it's just a safety measure). Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    20 words every hour that's not that bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gothai7)
    Have you started yet?
    Yes!!! Almost finished the introduction! Trying to get it done by Friday - I doubt it is going to score well in marks as I am learning whilst I am writing. 3200 words to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalsaRosa)
    Definitely possible. I've recently done a 3000 essay in 2 days and a 9000 in less than a week. It all depends on how well you work under pressure and also managing your time. Don't waste your time on unnecessary things and organize a specific time for your essay as well as to revise. Good luck x
    that is commendable!!

Its been two days and I am on like almost a 1000 but to be honest it is complete garbage, so my mark is not really going to hit 2:1

ReputationRep:
    Yes!!! Almost finished the introduction! Trying to get it done by Friday - I doubt it is going to score well in marks as I am learning whilst I am writing. 3200 words to go
    Well done. Don't procrastinate like i am right now lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gothai7)
    Well done. Don't procrastinate like i am right now lol
    I am the queen of procrastination! Just spent 30 minutes looking at the screen whilst thinking of post exam plans

ReputationRep:
    8 days? That's an eternity! I remember in the far bygone days when I used to knock out a 3000-word essay in a night, hand it in by the 10 AM deadline, then go straight back to bed. Oh, those were the days, my friend!

Enough of reminiscence. 4000 words in 8 days should be a piece of p*ss. Take two days to read and make notes about the subject, a couple of hours to plan the essay, and a day and a half for the actual writing. This still leaves you 4 days. Use two to polish the essay in terms of logical flow, coherent arguments etc, one to proof-read and check referencing, and the final day to put finishing touches to the work.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    PS. I would not recommend proof reading each paragraph as you write. As this stage, you ought to be concentrating on the flow and the argument. When your brain is focusing on these factors, it's easy to miss simple grammatical errors. Far better to finish the draft, and proof read with 100% concentration, then to try and do everything at once.

ReputationRep:

I once wrote 2000 words in a day, so with 8 days you can probably write 10,000 words.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.