Physics without maths? Watch

Mishamigos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm looking at choosing A-Level options at the moment. I don't enjoy maths at all but I am very good at it, I am expected an 8/9 at GCSE and got a very high 7 in my mocks. I'm looking at taking Physics A-Level as I am really interested in it but I'm not interested at all in taking Maths A-Level - is it possible to take physics a level without maths?
3pointonefour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It's possible if you put in the work. But you're going to have to face that you will have to do quite a bit of maths. Why don't you look up the spec, and just self-teach the required parts of maths without taking it as an A-level?
SlashaRussia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Mishamigos)
I'm looking at choosing A-Level options at the moment. I don't enjoy maths at all but I am very good at it, I am expected an 8/9 at GCSE and got a very high 7 in my mocks. I'm looking at taking Physics A-Level as I am really interested in it but I'm not interested at all in taking Maths A-Level - is it possible to take physics a level without maths?
Its possible. Is it reccomended - no.

Im simply saying this because the majority of people taking physics, will take maths or even further maths. So just be prepared for the fact that it might take you much longer to understand some of the proofs/equations/questions than your classmates, and that might reflect in the grade boundaries.

At the same time though, it is possible. In physics a level a lot of maths is just memorising how to answer a certain style of question a lot, although sometimes (especially with the new spec) you'll have to explain something from an equation and work with equations above GCSE level (exponentials and logs and transforming equations onto graphs using logs)

But all of that said, you definitely can do it. But it will take a lot of work.

As a side note, what do you want to study later on if you want to go to uni? Be warned that if its anything physics related (e.g. engineering/physics so on) you will have to have maths too
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
stop being a brat, most people would kill for innate maths ability. These are the skills most needed in the future, stop avoiding maths....its totally irresponsible to do so.
ioWolfdinii
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It depends on the college/sixth-form, at majority of them it's compulsory to take maths as well as physics so check it out with the college u wanna go to
3pointonefour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
stop being a brat, most people would kill for innate maths ability. These are the skills most needed in the future, stop avoiding maths....its totally irresponsible to do so.
That's not nice. Just because you're good at it doesn't mean you have to take it. It's not the OPs fault they're good at it whereas others aren't.
TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You can get away with it at A-Level because the maths required for A-Level physics is only just beyond GCSE and maybe a little bit of AS maths (from what I remember). It's mostly just manipulating equations, possibly exponentials and logs, equations of straight lines etc.

Much, if not all of physics is underpinned by maths so if you're taking it in hopes of studying it or anything else related (engineering, even chemistry) in the future, not taking maths will be shooting yourself in the foot. The reason why its possible to take A-Level physics without A-Level maths is because the physics specifications are designed such that this is possible. In the real world (i.e. at University or beyond A-level), it is not possible to do higher level physics without knowing maths
Mishamigos
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlashaRussia)
Its possible. Is it reccomended - no.

Im simply saying this because the majority of people taking physics, will take maths or even further maths. So just be prepared for the fact that it might take you much longer to understand some of the proofs/equations/questions than your classmates, and that might reflect in the grade boundaries.

At the same time though, it is possible. In physics a level a lot of maths is just memorising how to answer a certain style of question a lot, although sometimes (especially with the new spec) you'll have to explain something from an equation and work with equations above GCSE level (exponentials and logs and transforming equations onto graphs using logs)

But all of that said, you definitely can do it. But it will take a lot of work.

As a side note, what do you want to study later on if you want to go to uni? Be warned that if its anything physics related (e.g. engineering/physics so on) you will have to have maths too
Okay thank you. I'm not looking to continue with physics to be honest, but I enjoy science a lot and I'd like it to show analytical thinking etc. to employers/universities.

(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
I'm not doing a very hard course that I'm just not interested in for 2 years - I just won't be able to put the work in if it's something I don't enjoy. My natural ability almost definitely won't last once it gets to A-Level and the difficulty is taken up about 10 notches and I'm not interested in working to improve it.
SlashaRussia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Okay thank you. I'm not looking to continue with physics to be honest, but I enjoy science a lot and I'd like it to show analytical thinking etc. to employers/universities.

I'm not doing a very hard course that I'm just not interested in for 2 years - I just won't be able to put the work in if it's something I don't enjoy. My natural ability almost definitely won't last once it gets to A-Level and the difficulty is taken up about 10 notches and I'm not interested in working to improve it.
Well if you just like physics but dont wanna carry it forwards then you can definitely do it without maths a level. Make sure to ask your teacher for a lot of guidance for some topics though, like Capacitors and some fields stuff and mechanics for sure.

In fact, I would suggest you go and find an m1 book for old spec and just look over it cause you will have to use a lot of that in the new spec physics. It's a lot simpler in the physics a level than the maths, just that the maths textbooks explain it better
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What were you thinking of doing after A levels?

Physics and Engineering degrees are going to require A level maths, Physics A level is largely an orphan qualification unless you've got maths to go with it.
Mishamigos
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlashaRussia)
Well if you just like physics but dont wanna carry it forwards then you can definitely do it without maths a level. Make sure to ask your teacher for a lot of guidance for some topics though, like Capacitors and some fields stuff and mechanics for sure.

In fact, I would suggest you go and find an m1 book for old spec and just look over it cause you will have to use a lot of that in the new spec physics. It's a lot simpler in the physics a level than the maths, just that the maths textbooks explain it better
Thanks very much! I may speak with my teacher and ask her if I could have a look at the textbooks for extension work.
sagenorthcut94
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think its possible. I knew one dude in my class who did this, he got a C or D in AS and then proceeded to drop out of it altogether.

Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
...PS

people usually enjoy subjects they're good at - make sure you're not ditching one of your strong subjects just because your current teacher is boring.
yoyomynameis...
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
it's difficult to do well in physics without a level maths. This is because you need an appreciation of logs, radians, mechanics, which involves vectors, further mechanics, sine waves, cos waves etc etc. Not only will it mean you'll have to put in more effort, but if you hate maths, it's likely you will not find physics as enjoyable at a higher level.
olivia.linley1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Physics A-Level is just applied maths (its completely different to GCSE physics as that was more writing). Chances are if you don't enjoy maths then you won't enjoy physics at A-Level
amileman1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yes you definitely can take physics without a maths a level. You'd need to talk 'Maths for Physics' extra course just to cover graphs, euler's number and re-arranging, however the Maths really isn't that hard. The key point most people are missing is listed below.

It sounds almost silly to talk about university when you're about to start college, however you will not be able to take Physics, Computer Science, Engineering etc.. as they 100% need a Maths A-Level. It would be pointless to study physics without maths. You'd be better of studying biology as it's easier and purely recall where-as physics requires half a brain. (Sorry to all the biologists out there)

Maths is one of the most attractive alevels for academia, it counts as a science as well as it's own course. I had the exact same feeling when I joined my college. I had no intention of studying Maths, however I absolutely fell in love with even though it was hard work.

I'm about to study Nuclear Astrophysics at Surrey, so it was definitely worth the pain.
MCArth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You've got other people here telling you you don't NEED to have maths to do physics A-LEVEL. Keyword A-LEVEL. If you want to continue onto university to do physics, as you said you did further down on the post, then nearly all universities will require you to have a-level maths, and all top universities will require maths with high preference for further maths. From my experience people with further maths a-level are generally highly regarded and it will help you in life.

However if you look down inside you and can't find a single bit of you that wants to do maths - then studying physics at university and beyond is largely a very bad decision as the amount of maths you do increases alot as difficulty increases. Physics A-Level has alot more maths than Physics GCSE and Physics at university is nearly wholly made up of Maths.
Dysf(x)al
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
To be quite honest, you will probably be fine. Most of A-level maths is calculus and advanced algebra which you do not need to be able to do. Most of the maths in physics is just rearranging equations and standard form. Really it's only the mechanics part of A-level maths that appears in Physics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed