Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I’m going into my 3rd year this September and moving into a new house with 3 other girls. Only thing is I haven’t a clue how to set up bills and I’m aware that it needs to get done soon. For the house I’m in this year, another girl set up all the bills and we just sent our money to her, so I don’t know how to do it.

I kind of understand how to do gas & electric, and broadband. But I’ve got no idea how to set up water bills. Can anyone explain this to me in a completely idiot proof way? I was thinking of trying a website like acasa or splittable as they do all the hard work for you, but im worried it won’t be as cheap (acasa quoted me £47 per month per person for gas, electric, water, broadband and tv license which seems like way too much). Really appreciate any help!

ReputationRep:
    I can help with the energy side as I'm a current employee for a well known pretty expensive energy company!

Doesnt need to to be done till you move in - or even a week or so later!
    As soon as you gain the property and move in WRITE DOWN YOUR GAS AND ELECTRIC METER READS!!! (very VERY Important), your landlord should have told you who the current supplier is - you have to start with them.

Give that company a CALL (dont do this bit online!) and tell them youve just moved into a property - give them your move in date and both sets of reads.
    They'll likely try and tie you in to a 12 month deal, say no - go on STANDARD (at least for now!) but get them to quote a tariff for you, and please for the love of all thats holy, get them to give you the unit rates - daily standing charge AND ask them to tell you - in kWh what they are basing quotes on.

Then go just look at gocompare or the meerkat thing and see whos cheaper USING THE SAME KWH FIGURES!!!

Then if you wanna swap over, just do it! Feel free to DM me if (energy specifically) you want more advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheZugg)
    I can help with the energy side as I'm a current employee for a well known pretty expensive energy company!

Doesnt need to to be done till you move in - or even a week or so later!
    As soon as you gain the property and move in WRITE DOWN YOUR GAS AND ELECTRIC METER READS!!! (very VERY Important), your landlord should have told you who the current supplier is - you have to start with them.

Give that company a CALL (dont do this bit online!) and tell them youve just moved into a property - give them your move in date and both sets of reads.
    They'll likely try and tie you in to a 12 month deal, say no - go on STANDARD (at least for now!) but get them to quote a tariff for you, and please for the love of all thats holy, get them to give you the unit rates - daily standing charge AND ask them to tell you - in kWh what they are basing quotes on.

Then go just look at gocompare or the meerkat thing and see whos cheaper USING THE SAME KWH FIGURES!!!

Then if you wanna swap over, just do it! Feel free to DM me if (energy specifically) you want more advice
    Ooh ok thank you, I didn’t know that, I thought I could just sign up to one of the bill split websites and tell them when we move them and they’d sort it all out for us. I’ll call my landlord soon, hopefully I can figure out broadband & water too...

ReputationRep:
    Oh the bill split websites are a PAIN! Usually you get better going direct but then you have to either have one legally responsible party - so if the bill doesn't get paid, THEY are 100% liable OR You get EVERYONE listed on the account - and the guy/girl on the phone will HATE you for that one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheZugg)
    Oh the bill split websites are a PAIN! Usually you get better going direct but then you have to either have one legally responsible party - so if the bill doesn't get paid, THEY are 100% liable OR You get EVERYONE listed on the account - and the guy/girl on the phone will HATE you for that one
    Are the bill split websites just more expensive or just difficult to navigate? And if I did choose to use one, would I still have to inform the other providers to the house that I was switching? Sorry for all the questions, both the estate agent & landlord have been no help to me!

ReputationRep:
    No need to apologise at all - if I can help I definitely will! Lemme just say to start though - I've been off work for the last 9 months on Long Term Sickness so things MIGHT have changed!

I honestly don’t know if the bill split sites cost more – however I cannot see them NOT making a profit – it IS a business after all.

To the energy company ‘we’ only care that the bill gets paid.

So if you have say – 9 people in a 7 bed house, a couple and some others, then if you allocate only ONE person to pay the gas/leccy, then if the other people do not pay anything towards the monthly DD to you, then that’s YOUR problem, not the companies – as you are the only liable party. I know my own employed, they’re British (and sell more than electric!) don’t do a splitting service for students. The account is set up in a person’s name, and then THAT person is the liable party.

You can add on as many co-account holders as you want, but if no one pays the bill, all it means is that the company can claim the full amount owed from ANY of the people – so if you have 10 account holders, then they won’t just chase you for 10% of the debt! You are all jointly liable.

I’ve spoken to MANY student houses in my time, and I’ll give you the same advice – get something in writing, that you all sign, get it notarised – only about £20 iirc, and that becomes a legally binding agreement that everyone is going to pay their own share!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just go for something like glide to be honest, unless you're really starving for money then it's so much simpler and really doesn't cost that much more. We used it for two years and after our rebates came through it worked out to like £15-20 per year more each than we would've paid if we did the bills ourselves (companies like glide have more buying power than you as an individual so can get lower tariff costs, hence they make more in profit than this). To save the hassle and risks of splitting bills yourselves, it's definitely worth it.

The reasons why the estimates are high is because of the rebates, you'll pay more than you're expected to use then get a good chunk of it back later, probably ~£6-8 per month. They've also gotten better at their estimations and now often have different monthly charges so e.g. you're paying less in September when you'll be using less energy and more in January when you'll be using the heating more.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.