Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    People who are in year eleven HOW IS THE NEW SPEC ???

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, they're not as bad as everyone makes out.
    Yeah, there's a lost more content for some subjects (like triple science) and doing the course is a pain, but the exams aren't that bad. It seems like a tough time for people who might not be good at certain subjects (like I really suck at RS for some reason), but I think you have to remember that level 9 is higher than an A* was, so they still teach you harder stuff that you won't necessarily have to understand to get 4s, 5s or 6s.

English Literature is probably one of the most stressful subjects because of the volume they make you learn (3 novels/plays and 15 poems), but in the exams you only get 1 theme per book as always. They make English Language sound bad too because of the number of exam questions you need to learn how to answer, but you can probably just do that the day before and be fine if you can already write at a good level. (They also got rid of Foundation English, so the exam might seem like murder for people aiming for 4 and 5 because the longer essay qs are focused on higher skills, and it always feels like you're not doing well when you miss out parts of questions).

RS is just as boring as ever - even more so because of the emphasis on exam technique. Pretty much the whole course is learning how to answer 4 questions, and the content is just filler.

Sciences are difficult, but the information isn't too overwhelming (and definitely not in combined). The exams focus more on applying knowledge to contexts that aren't on the spec (like eggs in biology, bananas in physics and whatever was on the chemistry test, i forgot), but if you really understand the content its not a problem to pick up on the clues in the questions on what to write about.

They introduced a bunch of new stuff into Maths that's like '???' on higher like iterations, but they're not hard if you actually put in effort to understand it, and most of the stuff that we had to remember didn't even come up on the non-calc paper (like remembering trig values, which you work out on a calculator).

Apart from English, Maths and Science most of the subjects (that I take at least) aren't even that different style-wise.

ReputationRep:
    Science exams are MUCH harder with much more content and a bigger focus on hard maths on all 3 science. Also I’ve been told that Languages have got much more difficult but other than that, the new exams aren’t as bad as the media’s making out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANDREW 200436)
    Science exams are MUCH harder with much more content and a bigger focus on hard maths on all 3 science. Also I’ve been told that Languages have got much more difficult but other than that, the new exams aren’t as bad as the media’s making out
    Have u done ur exams

ReputationRep:
    It’s awful tbh like there’s too much pressure on us now and honestly for someone with depression and anxiety it’s making things 10x worse for me
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skkkk)
    Have u done ur exams
    I’m doing them currently. Done paper 1 science which I found very difficult as did many others. French was also challenging with my entire class (higher tier) coming out of listening reckoning they’ve failed.

ReputationRep:
    The whole country’s had 3 science exams actually so? Are u lying mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mollyjx)
    The whole country’s had 3 science exams actually so? Are u lying mate?
    Are you talking to me?? If so yeah paper 1 = 3 science exams. Paper 2 are after half term. No I’m not lying I think I would know if I was doing my exams or not.

ReputationRep:
    I’m doing them currently. Done paper 1 science which I found very difficult as did many others. French was also challenging with my entire class (higher tier) coming out of listening reckoning they’ve failed.
    I’m wanting to do well in science and start preparing my notes now . Some people found the English exam essay

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking to me?? If so yeah paper 1 = 3 science exams. Paper 2 are after half term. No I’m not lying I think I would know if I was doing my exams or not.
    Calm down love Jesus Christ, and actually I weren’t clear about that because most schools across the country have paper 1 biology, paper 1 chemistry and paper 1 physics individually then each paper 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skkkk)
    I’m wanting to do well in science and start preparing my notes now . Some people found the English exam essay
    Yeah I’d say that’s a good idea with science because of the content it’s a good idea to learn it early to reduce cramming as this just causes more stress during exam season. And yeah English wasn’t too bad it just depends on what poems or questions come up for the novels/plays

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I’d say that’s a good idea with science because of the content it’s a good idea to learn it early to reduce cramming as this just causes more stress during exam season. And yeah English wasn’t too bad it just depends on what poems or questions come up for the novels/plays
    For poems how do u reckon I revise like I have printed out the poem but how many structure Lang and quotes should I learn and any good notes for English texts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skkkk)
    For poems how do u reckon I revise like I have printed out the poem but how many structure Lang and quotes should I learn and any good notes for English texts?
    Your answers on the Year 11 thread🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mollyjx)
    Calm down love Jesus Christ, and actually I weren’t clear about that because most schools across the country have paper 1 biology, paper 1 chemistry and paper 1 physics individually then each paper 2
    Yeah sorry if I didn’t make that clear before.I just meant paper 1 collectively as in (1 bio 1 chem 1 phy) so I have sat 3 individual exams. Are you in year 11 and if so how are you finding science exams in particular?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sorry if I didn’t make that clear before.I just meant paper 1 collectively as in (1 bio 1 chem 1 phy) so I have sat 3 individual exams. Are you in year 11 and if so how are you finding science exams in particular?
    What grades u aiming for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skkkk)
    What grades u aiming for
    7-8 in all subjects except French which I would genuinely be ecstatic with a pass😂 (4)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.