Anxiety around leaving the house and drinking? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m 16 years old, and before you say I shouldn’t be drinking, I don’t. Only ever have a few cans at parties every few months to calm my nerves. I have a party in two days and it’s half way through exams. I get so nervous and anxious about meeting friends or going out shopping (I don’t get anxious about going to school or hospital) and when I went out last week I constantly had phases of panic. I really want to go out to the party but alchohol makes me 10X more anxious than I normally am when it starts to wear off and keeps me awake all night. What should I do? It’s only started since exams have started, but will it go once exams are over?? I have a 3 month summer and want to work and go out but I won’t be able to if I have this constant fear.
Sydmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m 16 years old, and before you say I shouldn’t be drinking, I don’t. Only ever have a few cans at parties every few months to calm my nerves. I have a party in two days and it’s half way through exams. I get so nervous and anxious about meeting friends or going out shopping (I don’t get anxious about going to school or hospital) and when I went out last week I constantly had phases of panic. I really want to go out to the party but alchohol makes me 10X more anxious than I normally am when it starts to wear off and keeps me awake all night. What should I do? It’s only started since exams have started, but will it go once exams are over?? I have a 3 month summer and want to work and go out but I won’t be able to if I have this constant fear.
This isn't as uncommon as you might think. What do you do to support drinking? Do you eat, drink other fluids, do any drugs?

No judgements here. But medically and physically all of the above can have an impact on how the body processes alcohol. Some people need to hydrate themselves before drinking and they bring a bottle of plain water to whatever social function they are going to or they pass out after just 1 pint. Some people need a big meal before drinking or they get heart palpitations. It is surprising how much the physical body can affect your mind - they are very much linked and if you can take care of one, you sometimes find that the other will follow suit. That could be part of the issue when you drink - your body might be lacking nutrients when the alcohol wears off and that is kickstarting a panic attack.

There are methods of handling social anxiety but I have not had exposure enought to them to try and suggest anything. I feel that might be the other part of the issue - which unfortunately can't be as directly attributed to physical condition.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by SpiffyTheSeal)
This isn't as uncommon as you might think. What do you do to support drinking? Do you eat, drink other fluids, do any drugs?

No judgements here. But medically and physically all of the above can have an impact on how the body processes alcohol. Some people need to hydrate themselves before drinking and they bring a bottle of plain water to whatever social function they are going to or they pass out after just 1 pint. Some people need a big meal before drinking or they get heart palpitations. It is surprising how much the physical body can affect your mind - they are very much linked and if you can take care of one, you sometimes find that the other will follow suit. That could be part of the issue when you drink - your body might be lacking nutrients when the alcohol wears off and that is kickstarting a panic attack.

There are methods of handling social anxiety but I have not had exposure enought to them to try and suggest anything. I feel that might be the other part of the issue - which unfortunately can't be as directly attributed to physical condition.
I eat loads of food before and during, and drink loads of water after before sleeping. No, I don’t do drugs and never plan on either. So are you suggesting drinking loads of water and eating loads before? Aswrll as during and after?? I will give that a try, thankyou!!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I think that you need to learn to just live in the moment, I also suffer with anxiety when leaving my house and just chilling out and learning to go with the flow has really helped me A lot in those situations; and as for the alcohol don’t drink if you don’t want to, and if your friends are pressing you to, then they aren’t very good friends; or perhaps they just aren’t aware of how it is making you feel
Sydmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I eat loads of food before and during, and drink loads of water after before sleeping. No, I don’t do drugs and never plan on either. So are you suggesting drinking loads of water and eating loads before? Aswrll as during and after?? I will give that a try, thankyou!!
As a general rule, when drinking your body looses fluids and sugars (I am not bioligist or chemist, but years of drinking experience has taught me something!). If you can offset that need for fluid and sugars by having foods with sugars in or having sugary drink (full fat/red Coke etc) then your body is working much more efficiently. Having water with squash is good - it has a good level of hydratic fluid and sugar from the squash. Eating loads is probably overkill (you might see it again later if you do), but certainly have a good meal before you go out. Something substantial.

My sort of approach is keep your body topped up on what it needs when drinking and you avoid hangovers, feeling crap and being violently ill!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (99)
24.26%
No (309)
75.74%

Watched Threads