The Student Room Group

How is a 39 week let enough as an EU student?

Hi,

I live in Denmark and will be moving to Glasgow to study there for the next 4 years. I am currently looking at accommodation, but it seems i can only get 39 week lets. Does that mean that when the 39 weeks are up i will have to move all my things back to denmark, and then again back to glasgow every year? That honestly sounds super inconvenient and quite stupid to be frank.

It seems like all student accommodation companies only let you move in around the beginning of the academic year, so i can't just start a new period at the end of the 39 weeks. However, after looking around in the forum i see people talking about the 39 weeks as if it is a whole year stay. How does that work? What about the last 13 weeks? Are they just free?

Please help me understand :smile:
A 39 week contract does unfortunately mean you'll have to move out at the end of every academic year. However, there should be 51 week options available at some of the university's accommodation, otherwise you could consider private student accommodation which is often catered to international students and is therefore available for 51 weeks.
Reply 2
Hi there,

Lots of private student halls let you stay for 51 weeks. You should probably have a look at them instead if you want to stay longer
Hey there,

I work at Bridge House, a private accommodation provider. We offer 44 and 50 week lets with also the possibility of extending your contract for a week or two at the end of your tenancy. If you decide to re-book for the next academic year with us we can also have you extend straight through the summer if you decide to re-book with us.

Have a look at our website here: http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/bridge-house/!

I know these are popular tenancy lengths with a lot of providers so I'd just double check with them.

Thanks,

Lilith
Reply 4
Thank you for the replies. Yeah i can see that there's a lot of places that offer 51 week lets. I'm just confused about all of this because in Denmark, students just start renting a student apartment, and when they are done studying they stop renting it. I don't see why it has to be so complicated.

Also, can anyone tell me why 99% of the private student hall websites can't clearly show what pictures are of which rooms. Usually there's anywhere from 2-6 different types of rooms, and anywhere between 10-60 mixed pictures, but no description of what room a picture is showing. How do they expect me to pour a lot of money into something i have no idea what looks like. It seems like such a simple fix that would make it infinitely easier for people like me to make a decision. I know it sounds like a rant, and i guess it is, but i am genuinly interested in an answer.
Reply 5
Original post by BridgeHouseGlasgow
Hey there,

I work at Bridge House, a private accommodation provider. We offer 44 and 50 week lets with also the possibility of extending your contract for a week or two at the end of your tenancy. If you decide to re-book for the next academic year with us we can also have you extend straight through the summer if you decide to re-book with us.

Have a look at our website here: http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/bridge-house/!

I know these are popular tenancy lengths with a lot of providers so I'd just double check with them.

Thanks,

Lilith

You are a great example. I have actually looked at your apartments. Can you tell me what pictures are of the en suite room?
Original post by Jako7281
You are a great example. I have actually looked at your apartments. Can you tell me what pictures are of the en suite room?

Hiya, oh that's great news.

Our best pictures are here: http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/bridge-house/gallery. Scroll down to "Shared Flat bedroom" and "Shared Flat Living Area" to see what our shared flats look like. If you've got any more questions or would like me to help recommend you a specific flat just email me at [email protected]. :smile:

Thanks,

Lilith

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending