The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I burned my tongue the other day drinking some tea and one of the papillae (taste buds) has become inflammed and is annoying and painful. It's also unsightly. I read online that you can clip them off with a pair of nail clippers. Has anyone tried this and would you recommend it?

make sure the clippers are sterile... hold them over a flame for 20 seconds. otherwise your toe germs will end up in your bloodstream.
NOOOO! NOPE! NADA!Deffo don't pull a stunt like that. There's a very very good chance you'll just make it worse. As for what might happen, you'll bleed out and maybe some water-like substance would spill out.
i wouldn't recommend it? nail clippers are pretty blunt, it will hurt and probably do more damage than good. if its really painful, go and see a doctor!
I burned my tongue the other day drinking some tea and one of the papillae (taste buds) has become inflammed and is annoying and painful. It's also unsightly. I read online that you can clip them off with a pair of nail clippers. Has anyone tried this and would you recommend it?

yeah no honey dont do tht if u want scratch with ur fingertip and apply ice on the area this can cause bleeding affecting more papillae
Reply 5
Original post by Rosie///
i wouldn't recommend it? nail clippers are pretty blunt, it will hurt and probably do more damage than good. if its really painful, go and see a doctor!

Well mine are actually toe nail clippers and are very sharp :biggrin:
Reply 6
I did it lads. Got the bugger out but there are two smaller ones that I can't safely clip out :frown:
Reply 8
I did it last night and now the tip of my tongue has swelled up, even underneath the tongue in the affected area! :frown:
honestly, what has the human race come to? just see a doctor
Original post by Rosie///
honestly, what has the human race come to? just see a doctor

The NHS is under strain. I burned my tongue, that's all.
Blood loss... leave it alone. It will repair... body is good at that stuff. Do you dig a hole in your skin whenever you get a blister or a zit?
I ripped mine off with needle tweazers... when it came off it had a little root and everything! Looked like a little brain with a brainstem on my tweezers...bleed like crazy for a few mins...feels much better now!
I’ve done this and there’s no “blood loss” problem of any significance to worry about. And yeah, you should attempt to sterilize things you use on your toes before using them for “self-surgery” - But I mean... Duh. As far as effectiveness, I’ve had times where it helped because it went from a super-painful and irritated papillae to basically a small cut or abrasion on my tongue. A tiny cut heals much faster than the time it takes for an inflamed papillae to go away. However, if it’s not adequately swollen and sticking out, it’s possible to basically just cut the taste bud in half instead of cutting it OFF. If this happens, it will continue to hurt but even worse bc you still have the inflamed taste bud but now it’s ALSO physically injured. Bottom line? You can try it and don’t worry about some of the above comments that mention ridiculous things like “bleeding out” or getting toe bacteria “in your bloodstream.” Just clean the clippers well (preferably, clean it throughly with rubbing alcohol, and allow the alcohol to completely dry), nip the inflamed papillae off if you can, and enjoy faster healing. Worst case REALISTIC scenario is not getting the whole thing like I mentioned above, and making the pain a little worse until it heals.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
I had a swollen taste bud just now and literally just snipped it off. It only hurts if you do it slowly. Make sure you hold the clippers over a flame though.
Reply 15
Just put some ice on it. The ice cube will melt of course. But after a few minutes it will stop hurting or annoying you. You could pull it or cut it, but then you have a bloody mess. It'll stop bleeding - and hurting. But the ice is just so much easier and safer.
(edited 5 years ago)
Not everyone can afford that, so what has it come to ?? A bunch of selfish ass people
Original post by Altruistic
Not everyone can afford that, so what has it come to ?? A bunch of selfish ass people

afford what? lol
afford what? lol

going to the doctor here In America it cost
I did it, not a lot of blood at all. It didn’t really bleed. Boil clippers and wash. After I cut it off it didn’t hurt at all after, doesn’t even feel like anything happened

Latest