Skkkk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey if ur in year 11 comment down the subjects u have done an exam in and what u think ur going to get/ how hard they where.
Any tips for English I’m in year ten and wanting to achieve an 8?
purplepeacock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
Hey if ur in year 11 comment down the subjects u have done an exam in and what u think ur going to get/ how hard they where.
Listen in class, go to school everyday, listen to your teachers, revise your heart out in this holiday and every and you'll be fine. Also read a lot, it'll improve your vocab a ton. MOst important this is just to be focused though, if you really want it, you'll work for it and you aint gonna let anyone get in the way of you and your results.
Good luck.
ANDREW 200436
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
Learn quotes for the texts early and try and get a basic understanding of the poetry early on so you don’t have to cram the context of poems the night before
Skkkk
Rep:
?
(Original post by purplepeacock)
Listen in class, go to school everyday, listen to your teachers, revise your heart out in this holiday and every and you'll be fine. Also read a lot, it'll improve your vocab a ton. MOst important this is just to be focused though, if you really want it, you'll work for it and you aint gonna let anyone get in the way of you and your results.
Good luck.
Thank you so much I’m starting now but I’m having a breakout for English any tips
Skkkk
Rep:
?
(Original post by ANDREW 200436)
Learn quotes for the texts early and try and get a basic understanding of the poetry early on so you don’t have to cram the context of poems the night before
I’m staring to revise poetry how many structure and lang and form and quotes should I learn for each poems and how many paragraphs should I aim for.
And how much should I annotate?
How is ur English
ANDREW 200436
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
I’m staring to revise poetry how many structure and lang and form and quotes should I learn for each poems and how many paragraphs should I aim for.
And how much should I annotate?
How is ur English
What’s your English exam board because some exam boards put more importance on language and form than others. Look I’d say try and learn like 5-6 for each which doesn’t sound a lot but as long as you know the basic structure, rhyme scheme and context ( authors background) for each you should be able to write about the poem easily for any question given.

Finished English lit on Friday, which was good but timing was a big problem for me so I would suggest working on timing by doing practice papers at home to make sure you finish because I ran out of time so didn’t finish the unseen poetry comparison
Mollyjx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No one gets an 8😂😭
Skkkk
Rep:
?
What’s your English exam board because some exam boards put more importance on language and form than others. Look I’d say try and learn like 5-6 for each which doesn’t sound a lot but as long as you know the basic structure, rhyme scheme and context ( authors background) for each you should be able to write about the poem easily for any question given.

Finished English lit on Friday, which was good but timing was a big problem for me so I would suggest working on timing by doing practice papers at home to make sure you finish because I ran out of time so didn’t finish the unseen poetry comparison
I swear the English exam needs to be open book it’s not fair due to timing and how can I do unseen poetry ? Our teacher is just making us annotations for poetry no comparative essay do I’m working hard
What is paper 2 all about
What texts r u studying and what grade u aiming for in all ur subjects
Skkkk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mollyjx)
No one gets an 8😂😭
What😭
Mollyjx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
What😭
Ur setting urself too high like you’d have to be a ****ing genius to get an 8 in anything, as would anyone. Dunno why u care about GCSEs yet anyway, ur not even doing them for a whole year
Skkkk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mollyjx)
Ur setting urself too high like you’d have to be a ****ing genius to get an 8 in anything, as would anyone. Dunno why u care about GCSEs yet anyway, ur not even doing them for a whole year
Right now I’m working at 8s I’m ny subjects so no reason why I can’t get them in the real thing I’m hoping inshaalah I can get it I’m not bragging but generally English is my weaker subject
ANDREW 200436
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
I swear the English exam needs to be open book it’s not fair due to timing and how can I do unseen poetry ? Our teacher is just making us annotations for poetry no comparative essay do I’m working hard
What is paper 2 all about
What texts r u studying and what grade u aiming for in all ur subjects
Depends on the exam board. I do WJEC and in paper 1 it’s shakespeare (I did othello) and poetry anthology (the one you learn) then paper 2 was post 1914 prose ( I did a taste of honey) and 19th century novel ( I did a Christmas carol) as well as unseen poetry. I think this varies for different exam boards tho.
Completely agree about the open book but at the end of the day the government ain’t gonna change their minds so we’ve just gotta make the best of it.

I’m predicted an 8 in both English Lit and Lang but I think I’ve got a 7 in Lit simply due to not finishing the unseen poetry.

For the unseen poetry you’ve just got to spend about 5 minutes reading the poem and trying to understand it before you start writing and try and analyse the meaning of the poem, the form and structure. Also try and put a personal response in as well as this will give you extra marks.
leahnj
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
honestly just try to memorise all the poems. theyre not too long and usually rhyme so are aleasy to remember. know structure n form n a bit of context. poetry is a good one to have since its quite predictable
Skkkk
Rep:
?
Depends on the exam board. I do WJEC and in paper 1 it’s shakespeare (I did othello) and poetry anthology (the one you learn) then paper 2 was post 1914 prose ( I did a taste of honey) and 19th century novel ( I did a Christmas carol) as well as unseen poetry. I think this varies for different exam boards tho.
Completely agree about the open book but at the end of the day the government ain’t gonna change their minds so we’ve just gotta make the best of it.

I’m predicted an 8 in both English Lit and Lang but I think I’ve got a 7 in Lit simply due to not finishing the unseen poetry.

For the unseen poetry you’ve just got to spend about 5 minutes reading the poem and trying to understand it before you start writing and try and analyse the meaning of the poem, the form and structure. Also try and put a personal response in as well as this will give you extra marks.
For poetry I have a blank poem stuck into my book and how many annotations should I do and how many structure and lang notes . What is paper 2?
ANDREW 200436
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
For poetry I have a blank poem stuck into my book and how many annotations should I do and how many structure and lang notes . What is paper 2?
Try and do as many annotations as possible for the poems to enhance your understand. Paper 2 of wjec is 20th century play 19th century novella and unseen poetry, but it varies between exam boards
Rhiaaaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
Start revising for gcse as soon as u finish mocks in year 11 and finish notes early too. best advice.
Skkkk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rhiaaaaa)
Start revising for gcse as soon as u finish mocks in year 11 and finish notes early too. best advice.
How r ur exams
Rhiaaaaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
How r ur exams
theyre good but not perfect
Skkkk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rhiaaaaa)
theyre good but not perfect
Oh 😢 how come
Rhiaaaaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
Oh 😢 how come
I know i messed up RE that was hard asf. Science was easier than i thought. Maths was ok. English wasnt too bad either. 99% of my revision is science though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed