The Student Room Group

What can you do to have your prays answered?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kian Stevens
We're all born atheists until we're told to believe in something.

How was I programmed to be an atheist? I made up my own mind on that one. For five years straight, I went to church almost every day, I prayed three times a day. It was all because I went to a faith school. Did I believe in any of that? No, because I quickly realised that praying to God is just as effective as asking Father Christmas for presents.

Unfortunately for you, you haven't had time to question your beliefs since your parents or some other party have rattled it into you that God exists since birth.

I see, didn't know you were born in a Christian family.

I have already questioned my beliefs and looked into other religions to see what they believe and there is nothing else that makes sense to me other than Islam. I don't believe things can happen by chance like you do as an atheist.
Just as you think it's 'stupid' to believe in god, I think it's stupid to say things can happen by chance
Original post by LunaCat
I see, didn't know you were born in a Christian family.

I have already questioned my beliefs and looked into other religions to see what they believe and there is nothing else that makes sense to me other than Islam. I don't believe things can happen by chance like you do as an atheist.
Just as you think it's 'stupid' to believe in god, I think it's stupid to say things can happen by chance

I wasn't born into a Christian family. None of my family are religious. However, I was still sent to a faith school for 7 years where I experienced being religious every day. It just wasn't for me and here I am about 10 years later living life happy, without a belief in a deity.

Things do happen by chance, and I think it's stupid to believe that some higher power makes things happen. Natural disasters for example; these happen by chance and I can bet you'll not say your God is responsible for them. We're going round in circles at this point.
Original post by LunaCat
And what is the point of this? What is the point of life to you, we're all going to die in the end so is anything really worth doing if you don't believe in god and afterlife?

What type of argument is that? Life is beautiful. I'm living my life as well as I can; I'm happy now and I'll die happy too.

What's the point in living life purely to get into heaven? Why would you spend all your life trying to impress someone you've never met?
lool is this thread still going, OP asked a question and only got like two or three real responses haha
Original post by TopSurgeon21Cent

Hitler killed millions, what is the biggest punishment he could have on this earth?

What Hitler did is a drop in the ocean to what this "God" did throughout history.

He engaged in genocide, wiping out numerous races of people

He engaged in worldwide massacre using weather as a weapon of mass destruction, creating the great flood to kill everything and everyone, men, women, innocent children, animals, plants, the lot.

He destroyed everyone in the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah

He murdered all the Egyptian children, kids who had no idea what was going on between God and the Egyptian rulers.

He engaged in ethnic cleansing

He sent wild bears to deliberately maul little children who were taking the mickey out of a balding man.

The list goes on and on.

Christians must challenge their brainwashing and social programming and resolve to be totally honest with themselves.

Either their God is a jealous and genocidal murderer willing to kill men, women and innocent children with abandon . . . . or there was more than one God or the Bible is a complete falsehood (when taken literally).

Which is it?

Brainwashed Christians are unable to confront this glaring problem. They simply compartmentalise the issue and others like it at the back of their minds and just press on ignoring it. Therein lies extreme danger. They have allowed themselves to be completely conditioned even when evidence such as this is presented before them. That creates fundamentalists and extremists.

We have to learn to be honest and open with ourselves and look at the facts presented in the Bible.
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
What Hitler did is a drop in the ocean to what this "God" did throughout history.

He engaged in genocide, wiping out numerous races of people

He engaged in worldwide massacre using weather as a weapon of mass destruction, creating the great flood to kill everything and everyone, men, women, innocent children, animals, plants, the lot.

He destroyed everyone in the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah

He murdered all the Egyptian children, kids who had no idea what was going on between God and the Egyptian rulers.

He engaged in ethnic cleansing

He sent wild bears to deliberately maul little children who were taking the mickey out of a balding man.

The list goes on and on.

Christians must challenge their brainwashing and social programming and resolve to be totally honest with themselves.

Either their God is a jealous and genocidal murderer willing to kill men, women and innocent children with abandon . . . . or there was more than one God or the Bible is a complete falsehood (when taken literally).

Which is it?

Brainwashed Christians are unable to confront this glaring problem. They simply compartmentalise the issue and others like it at the back of their minds and just press on ignoring it. Therein lies extreme danger. They have allowed themselves to be completely conditioned even when evidence such as this is presented before them. That creates fundamentalists and extremists.

We have to learn to be honest and open with ourselves and look at the facts presented in the Bible.

*yawns*
Man made problems which such an omnipresent etc. deity could easily fix, if he was real.

You lot pray to him enough to fix your own problems.

How can it be "fixed" when us humans keep f-cking things up. Life isn't going to be handed to us on a silver platter, -that's what heavens for.
"Brainwashed Christians are unable to confront this glaring problem"

Original post by purplepeacock
*yawns*

Thanks for proving my point
Original post by purplepeacock
Please keep opinions as extreme as yours, to yourself, with all respect : on behalf of believers off God, we believe that our God is not "stupid" but indeed sincere, loving and kind. We could question everything if we wanted to but that's why we have faith in God and believe that if our prayers are not answered today or tomorrow, we know that one day they will be and that will be for the best. Have a good day and I wish you all the best .

Questioning the value of prayer is not extreme.

You've unwittingly offered a strong explaination as to why religion is dying out in many developed countries.
Original post by Simonthegreat
This is my question

Ignoring all the pointless circular arguing in this thread from both sides, I will attempt to actually answer your question:

From a Christian perspective, I'd say all prayers should be prayed for with a sincere heart but also remembering that in the Lord's Prayer, we say "Thy will be done" (not "my will be done") :jebus:

Put another way: you should hope but not automatically expect that your prayer will be answered in the way you want it to, because it (for whatever reason) may not be God's will for you/the person you're praying for :nah:
What type of argument is that? Life is beautiful. I'm living my life as well as I can; I'm happy now and I'll die happy too.

What's the point in living life purely to get into heaven? Why would you spend all your life trying to impress someone you've never met?

This wouldn't stand if someone was going through pain after pain in their life, they'd think they might as well end it now since there is going to be nothing rewarding awaiting for them later.

It's not someone we've never met, I believe we've all met God before we were born; he created us. Why shouldn't we impress our creator? And heaven isn't actually the purpose of all if this, yes you get to heaven as a result and it has been promised to those who do good, but the real purpose is to meet the prophet and God again

But if you don't believe in god, who do you impress? People in this world that will leave you one day or another?
Why do you do what you've been doing all this time? Just to die happily, leaving everything behind you? What will you take from this world into your grave? Literally nothing, so why?
I wasn't born into a Christian family. None of my family are religious. However, I was still sent to a faith school for 7 years where I experienced being religious every day. It just wasn't for me and here I am about 10 years later living life happy, without a belief in a deity.

Things do happen by chance, and I think it's stupid to believe that some higher power makes things happen. Natural disasters for example; these happen by chance and I can bet you'll not say your God is responsible for them. We're going round in circles at this point.

He is though, he makes everything happen for a reason. And like i said before this life is a test, what's a test without challenges?
That's like saying why GCSE/Alevel examiners put difficult questions in the exam paper? Because they are testing your abilities.
Did the difficult questions just appear by chance..?
It's the same with this life except except on a bigger scale, so much more bigger that human brain cannot fully understand it.
Original post by gladheateher
There will never be solid evidence that God exists. If that was the case we would all believe in God which makes it futile because the whole point of beleiving in religion and God is to test ones faith. I have prayed to God many times and my prayers have been answered, as have other peoples. You can tell me that my prayers weren't answered, it was going to happen anyway, I worked for it etc etc but there are certain things one cannot possibly understand until they experience it themselevs, and this is one of them. Your example in your first point about praying for attacks not to occur again etc etc are irrelevant because no rational theist will argue that all prayers are answered - some are and some aren't, simple.

Additionally, from an Islamic perspective, it makes absolute sense that prayers for all terrorist attacks to end would not be answered. This is because there is a hadeeth which informs Muslims that in this day and age, holding tightly onto ones religion will be as difficult as holding onto some hot coals. These terrorist attacks demonstrate exactly that - it makes the general public fear Muslims, commit hate crimes against them, have a negative view of Islam etc etc which makes being a practising Muslim even more difficult. This is therefore an excellent test of ones faith in God. I am in no way advocating for the continuation of terrorist attacks and if they could be completely abolished that would be fantastic, but I am simply justifying the current and most likely future scaenario.

Furthermore, there are many things which determine whether ones prayers are answered e.g. how much faith you have in God, whether you're constantly sinning (this does not please God and therefore decreases the chance of a prayer from being answered, just as if you don't fulfill your role at work you are less likely to get promoted etc etc) so it is not just a matter of praying and getting a response. This also makes your initial argument invalid.

mmmm an intellect
Reply 53
Original post by LunaCat

But if you don't believe in god, who do you impress?

If you were to step out of your worship bubble, you might realise that for many of us life isn't about having to impress someone.
Original post by Simonthegreat
This is my question

1. Ask God directly and God alone - no intecessors or other gods

2. Ask God by His attributes e.g. 'Indeed you are the Most Merciful, so have mercy on me and help me'

3. Increase in good deeds

4. Decrease in bad deeds

5. Maintain sincerity in that you wish to continue being good for the sake of God and not just the gain achieved through your prayer

6. Ask with certainty i.e. do not doubt God answering your prayer

7. Pray to God more than once for the thing you are asking for

8. Praise and exalt God during your prayer and thank Him for everything in your life
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 55
Absolutely nothing, you can't do anything to make prayers work. Praying is some strange psychological thing where people talk to themselves, hoping that their messages will be answered and their wishes will come true. It's honestly astounding how people in 2018 still believe praying will miraculously do something good.

Unfortunately, praying doesn't work and that's been shown countless times. How many prayers are sent out to the families of the deceased after terrorist attacks, school shootings or fatal accidents occur? How many prayers are said, hoping that these things don't happen again, even though they still do? How many prayers does it take until your God listens and takes action?

If praying really worked, I'd be praying every day to stop each awful thing that the God you're praying to is allowing. The same God which allows terminal cancer in children, homelessness, poverty, rape, murder, war... The list goes on. It's quite ignorant that you pray to this God, which time and time again proves to be more demonic than the hell you religious folk fear yourselves - if I had to go to heaven, to stand in front of this God on my judgement day, I'd ask him to send me to hell.

Be quiet. God has answered some of my prayers actually. God of the bible
Original post by rhaegar443
mmmm an intellect

hmu with that D

Spoiler

Original post by gladheateher
hmu with that D

Spoiler

Its gonna be pretty tight

Spoiler

Original post by rhaegar443
Its gonna be pretty tight