The Student Room Group

Worried about sister

So my sister is 13 years old and recently I caught her in the town smoking cigarettes with a group of older boys. She also goes to parties and comes home a bit drunk. She gets bad grades and always gets into trouble at school. She also has an older boyfriend, I'm not a fan of their relationship as I think he is not a good guy. My sis also has anger issues, when she gets angry or annoyed she can become aggressive.
Any advice on how to deal with my sister ?
I feel like talking to your parents or telling her to stop won't help since it sounds like she's a rebelious kid. But maybe it will help since she's so young. So you be the judge of that.

You could also talk to her, tell her what your concerns are and say that you won't narc on her to your parents. Maybe she then sees you as a friend and will talk to you when she gets in trouble.
Try to talk to her calmly and explain why you're worried - being a sibling hopefully means you have a better chance than most people at being able to find out why she's angry and why she's getting herself into trouble. While it's possible that she might just be acting rebellious out of malice, don't discount the possibility that she's actually struggling with issues that she's kept hidden from everyone around her and you don't know about - possibly things she thinks you won't understand or that she's embarassed about. The more you can get her to open up to you the more likely you are to be able to help her.

Whatever you do, avoid giving her lectures or passing judgement because she'll probably just shut you out - even a problem which seems silly/petty to you might be a big deal to her. She probably perceives the things she's doing as being 'grown up', and his not being a good guy might be part of her attraction to him, so anything you do which makes her feel like you're treating her as a child or that she perceives as not respecting her choices could backfire. The best way to help her is to be that person who she can trust enough to open up to knowing that you'll be supportive regardless of any bad choices or mistakes.
Try talking to her calming about why your worried about her and what's she's doing?

Avoid telling her off or judging her, its possible that she's just being rebelliousness

Quick Reply

Latest