Idk what to choose for my alevel/btec options Watch

smt101
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
!!! im currently in yr11 rn and i honestly don't know what to do
tbh im thinking to choose btec applied science, btec ict and a level photography

I need opinions bc honestly idk what to do
ubanator
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbh it really depends on your predicted grades and which subjects you actually enjoy. If your getting average 4’s in the subjects your “strong” At then I’d say you should go for btec. But if your quite academic and don’t mind having no life for the next 2 years of your life - then do Alevels. 🙂
smt101
Rep:
?
(Original post by ubanator)
Tbh it really depends on your predicted grades and which subjects you actually enjoy. If your getting average 4’s in the subjects your “strong” At then I’d say you should go for btec. But if your quite academic and don’t mind having no life for the next 2 years of your life - then do Alevels. 🙂
i love all subjects and my predicted grades are 4-7 but my problem is that when i was checking unis they don't really like btec if you don't do an alevel that relates to degree ;\\\\\\\

(btw im thinking to go into a creative computing route)
ubanator
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thing is with Btec, it’s more practical based. It’s more of an apprenticeship thing. Ngl, people say it’s easy and that it’s for the under achieving but really and truly - there’s actually a lot of course work to it which ain’t easy. If i were you I’d still do a level computer science (along with maths and one other) but also do a btec course on IT or something like that. If your college let’s you do both (probably won’t since they’re too similar) do the btec at another college and see if it doesn’t clash with your a level timetable.
smt101
Rep:
?
(Original post by ubanator)
Thing is with Btec, it’s more practical based. It’s more of an apprenticeship thing. Ngl, people say it’s easy and that it’s for the under achieving but really and truly - there’s actually a lot of course work to it which ain’t easy. If i were you I’d still do a level computer science (along with maths and one other) but also do a btec course on IT or something like that. If your college let’s you do both (probably won’t since they’re too similar) do the btec at another college and see if it doesn’t clash with your a level timetable.
in my 6th form they want a grade 7 for maths to do a level computer science and i dislike maths looooooooool thats why im thinking to do btec ict instead since all i need is to pass english and maths
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by smt101)
i love all subjects and my predicted grades are 4-7 but my problem is that when i was checking unis they don't really like btec if you don't do an alevel that relates to degree ;\\\\\\\

(btw im thinking to go into a creative computing route)
This is wrong, over 95% of unis accept BTEC.

I did BTEC IT (Extended Diploma) and graduated from a top 30 uni (top 20 at the time) and now attend a top 10 for my MSc.
nonotyoutoo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths.
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
your best option would be to study a btec extended diploma in IT or computing. I think this has now changed to btec national 18 units. Apllied science is fine but might not get you onto a computing course. a level photography wont improve your application. I know Lancaster and Swansea accept btec without a level maths or computer science. i think but this is from memory Cardiff, Reading, Nottingham and Royal Holoway do as well but you would need to check their entry requirements. I attach Swansea's entry requiremt for btec
BTEC students: BTEC extended diploma must be either Computing or Information Technology.

Applicants without a grade 6/grade B or higher in GCSE Maths will be rejected unless you are re-sitting GCSE Maths, or studying AS or A level Maths (any variation), or Physics. GCSE Maths-Numeracy is not accepted to replace GCSE Maths in our entry requirement. Applicants without a grade 4/C in GCSE English will be rejected unless they are re-sitting the subject.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
to be honest photography A level is unlikely to be of any help. Your best best would be to do the extended btec or 18 units as it is now called. This will be accepted by a number of universities. The ones that wont will require Maths or Computer Science a level. The big question is which btec to take. Applied science is very useful towards things like Nrsing and Psychology but IT or computing btec might be better gor IT style courses
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
kent and sussex dont require a level maths but nearly everywhere will require Maths GCSE grade B or 5 or 6 and above
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (9)
64.29%
No I haven't decided yet (3)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (2)
14.29%

Watched Threads