The Student Room Group

Chemistry Acids and Bases help

With titration curves is the equivalence point the PH or the volume? (of where the amount of H+ moles has been added as there are OH- moles)
Original post by sumayyah99
With titration curves is the equivalence point the PH or the volume? (of where the amount of H+ moles has been added as there are OH- moles)

pH of the solution when half of the acid has been neutralised. That’s the definition. Although you would need the volume of base added to help calculate it.
Original post by Archurus23
pH of the solution when half of the acid has been neutralised. That’s the definition. Although you would need the volume of base added to help calculate it.

Not necessarily half. It's to do with the stoichiometry of the reacting equation.
Original post by BTAnonymous
Not exactly half. It's to do with the stoichiometry of the reacting equation.

I stand corrected then. But it’s still pH right? I might have been from an older syllabus.
I stand corrected then. But it’s still pH right? I might have been from an older syllabus.

yes, it is related to pH. Chemguide is useful and is a god send: https://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/acidbaseeqia/phcurves.html
yes, it is related to pH. Chemguide is useful and is a god send: https://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/acidbaseeqia/phcurves.html

Wait a minute. But how do you explain the Henderson-hasslebach equation when the ratio of acid and conjugate base is 1:1?
Wait a minute. But how do you explain the Henderson-hasslebach equation when the ratio of acid and conjugate base is 1:1?

I haven't done that for my specification so Google is the answer :smile:
I haven't done that for my specification so Google is the answer :smile:

Because when half of the acid has been neutralised, the ratio of the acid to its conjugate base is 1:1, therefore pH = pKa. Look up the Henderson-Hasselbach equation.
Because when half of the acid has been neutralised, the ratio of the acid to its conjugate base is 1:1, therefore pH = pKa. Look up the Henderson-Hasselbach equation.

i would study it if i didn't have my inorganic exam next week, lol. maybe during the summer where I will have an infinite amount of time.

that holds for monoprotic acids only
Original post by adsuudixfra
that holds for monoprotic acids only

Ok

Quick Reply

Latest