Sabrinatariq99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
You have a choice of two saving schemes. One pays 4% simple interest annually, and one pays 4%compoundinterest annually. You invest £3,500 for 3 years. By showing all your working, explain which type of interest will give you the best return for your money.
Y1_UniMaths
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you know the difference between simple and compound interest?
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sabrinatariq99)
You have a choice of two saving schemes. One pays 4% simple interest annually, and one pays 4%compoundinterest annually. You invest £3,500 for 3 years. By showing all your working, explain which type of interest will give you the best return for your money.
What have you got so far?
Sabrinatariq99
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
What have you got so far?
Nothing, since I don't have any type of interest in my country, I do not know how to work it out. I am also homeschooled, and can't find any good explanation online between the differences between compound and simple interest.
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nothing, since I don't have any type of interest in my country, I do not know how to work it out. I am also homeschooled, and can't find any good explanation online between the differences between compound and simple interest.
Here are the notes I made in my maths book for interest - hopfully this helps?
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  119.4 KB
Sabrinatariq99
Rep:
?
Here are the notes I made in my maths book for interest - hopfully this helps?
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  119.4 KB
Thank you, this was kind of helpful. it also taught me about how to work out that kind of question. Nice handwriting!
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you, this was kind of helpful. it also taught me about how to work out that kind of question. Nice handwriting!
Awesome :gah:
Do you have the answer to your original question then?
Sabrinatariq99
Rep:
?
Awesome :gah:
Do you have the answer to your original question then?
no, not yet.
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
no, not yet.
In my worked example, try substituting your numbers in. The questions are pretty similar anyway
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Work out the simple interest, them the compound interest and then see which gives you more money
Sabrinatariq99
Rep:
?
Work out the simple interest, them the compound interest and then see which gives you more money
ok, thanks it worked
n.ehal
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
so for simple interest:
Interest = Initial amount x Rate/100 x Length of time
£3500 x 0.04 x 3 = 420
so Total amount after interest = £3920

compound interest:
Total amount after interest = Initial Amount (1 + Rate/100)^Length of time
£3500 (1.04)^3 = £3937.02

Hence, compound interest will give you the best return for your money.
Sabrinatariq99
Rep:
?
ok, thanks it worked
However, will the higher or lower amount of money give me the best return for money?
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
However, will the higher or lower amount of money give me the best return for money?
"Best return for your money" = Higher amount, since getting more money is considered to be better under a capitalist system.
Sabrinatariq99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Prasiortle)
"Best return for your money" = Higher amount, since getting more money is considered to be better under a capitalist system.
ok thanks
Jackbob4684
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone know how to do this:
Sam wants to buy a motorbike that costs £5,000. He can pay the entire amount now or choose a payment plan that consists of paying £2,000 now and £3,500 after 1 year. What is the implied yearly interest rate for the payment plan?
fineapple100
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jackbob4684)
Anyone know how to do this:
Sam wants to buy a motorbike that costs £5,000. He can pay the entire amount now or choose a payment plan that consists of paying £2,000 now and £3,500 after 1 year. What is the implied yearly interest rate for the payment plan?
yep, so the initial price of the motorbike is £5,000. over the payment plan, he will pay a total of 2,000+3,500 =£5,500. Obviously, they aren't the same, and the difference is interest paid over the year. £5,500 - £5,000 is £500. Find 500 as a percentage of the initial price (£5000) and you have your yearly interest rate.

hope this helped x
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fineapple100)
yep, so the initial price of the motorbike is £5,000. over the payment plan, he will pay a total of 2,000+3,500 =£5,500. Obviously, they aren't the same, and the difference is interest paid over the year. £5,500 - £5,000 is £500. Find 500 as a percentage of the initial price (£5000) and you have your yearly interest rate.

hope this helped x
I don’t think this is right, as you would not normally expect to pay interest on the amount paid up-front, £2,000 in this case. So the situation boils down to the payment of £500 interest on a loan of £3,000 for one year.
Jackbob4684
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fineapple100)

hope this helped x
Thanks for the help but do you know how to find the monthly interest rate?
Jackbob4684
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by old_engineer)
I don’t think this is right, as you would not normally expect to pay interest on the amount paid up-front, £2,000 in this case. So the situation boils down to the payment of £500 interest on a loan of £3,000 for one year.
Thanks for the help but do you know how to find the monthly interest rate?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (48)
73.85%
No (17)
26.15%

Watched Threads