The Student Room Group

University Courses?!

I am really confused as to what I would like to study at a Higher Education level. I would be applying as a 2019 entrant and need help in choosing a course I would be interested in but that would also lead to a stable, well-paying job.

Currently, I am studying A-Level English Language, Law and Sociology, none of which I am fully intent on at studying further. Law is a possibility I have looked at. I am targeted A/A* in each subject.

I don't know whether it makes any difference to getting on a university course but my GCSE English Lit grade was a 9, EngLanguage grade was an 8 as was my maths grade.

I'm open to broadening my horizons to courses such as Economics with Sociology but obviously not having studied economics at A level, would that pose a problem?
Reply 1
It’s probably best to look at the courses which interest you and look at the grade/subject requirements and then make a decision
Reply 2
Original post by Karxnaxx
It’s probably best to look at the courses which interest you and look at the grade/subject requirements and then make a decision

Thanks for the response.

As sad as it sounds, I've been doing that for the past few weeks but with no such luck. I just seem to have no intense interest or passion in a particular subject.
Do you have a careers/university advisor at school, or a favourite teacher/form tutor you could sit down and talk about this with?

They know you a lot better than random people on the internet and are more likely to be able to help you work out what you want to study.

Also, if you aren't 100% sure what you want to study, then take a gap year and work/travel/apply for internships (e.g. Deloitte, MGM - apply during year 13). It's far better to take time out to work out what it is you want to do than to rush in, doing the wrong course, and waste a year of student finance.
Reply 4
Original post by idfk_
Thanks for the response.

As sad as it sounds, I've been doing that for the past few weeks but with no such luck. I just seem to have no intense interest or passion in a particular subject.

Tbh that’s what I was like but I found a course purely by accident and basically fell in love w it lol. Don’t give up hope, try doing career quizzes based on your personality it might help? Or talk to teachers/ guidance counsellors who know you and May recommend a field
Reply 5
Original post by LeapingLucy
Do you have a careers/university advisor at school, or a favourite teacher/form tutor you could sit down and talk about this with?

They know you a lot better than random people on the internet and are more likely to be able to help you work out what you want to study.

Also, if you aren't 100% sure what you want to study, then take a gap year and work/travel/apply for internships (e.g. Deloitte, MGM - apply during year 13). It's far better to take time out to work out what it is you want to do than to rush in, doing the wrong course, and waste a year of student finance.

That's a good shout.

I spoke to my form tutor who basically said I could go into a vast array of degrees as many don't require any specific A-levels. Still left me completely stuck but I guess it can only be up to me as to what I will/won't enjoy.

Taking a gap year is also something I've thought about, in which I could get a full-time job or something of that sort to help aid the cost of university BUT i've heard a whole load of people regret doing this and wish they'd gone to university instead.
Reply 6
Original post by Karxnaxx
Tbh that’s what I was like but I found a course purely by accident and basically fell in love w it lol. Don’t give up hope, try doing career quizzes based on your personality it might help? Or talk to teachers/ guidance counsellors who know you and May recommend a field

What course did you end up doing, if you don't mind me asking?

Ahaha, i'm trying not to give up hope. Going to some university open days soon so praying those will help give me some sort of idea.
Original post by idfk_
That's a good shout.

I spoke to my form tutor who basically said I could go into a vast array of degrees as many don't require any specific A-levels. Still left me completely stuck but I guess it can only be up to me as to what I will/won't enjoy.

Taking a gap year is also something I've thought about, in which I could get a full-time job or something of that sort to help aid the cost of university BUT i've heard a whole load of people regret doing this and wish they'd gone to university instead.

I don't know anyone who regretted taking a gap year - a few of them had moments of loneliness, when their friends were all at uni, but you can get the train and visit them at weekends.

Anecdotally, the people I know who took gap years did better in their first year at uni than those who didn't. They were refreshed, having taken a year out from the "exams every summer structure", and were ready to get back to studying.

It's far better to take a year out than to rush in and do the wrong course.
Reply 8
Original post by idfk_
What course did you end up doing, if you don't mind me asking?

Ahaha, i'm trying not to give up hope. Going to some university open days soon so praying those will help give me some sort of idea.

Well I’m applying for 2019 entry and it’s BSc in Ethical Hacking at Abertay, I’ve doing a Masters in Ethical Hacking and Cyber Security I want to do after it (: and me too I’ve got a bunch of open days lined up

Quick Reply