The Student Room Group

Pharmacy career option in Industry

I'm an international student and just accepted an offer for MPharm at UCL. I chose pharmacy because I couldn't get into Medicine and I am interested in going into industry. I have been reading that career prospects for community pharmacist are not good and I was wondering how about for pharmacy in industry (in research development or for skincare/cosmetic development)? Should I transfer to Pharmacology during my second year or should through and do PhD in Pharmacology?
Reply 1
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to go into industry if you originally wanted to do medicine?
Also, you don't necessarily have to do a PhD. in pharmacy with an MPharm, you can do PhDs in a very wide variety of fields, e.g. pharmaceutical chemistry, pharmaceutics, pharmacy practice, etc. And at the same time you can get a job in industry with your MPharm without a PhD. Although it is difficult to get into industry, as majority of MPharms go into hospital or community, but you don't necessarily have to do a PhD or pharmacology
I read that career prospect for community pharmacist is not good and I enjoy doing things with my hands. Originally want to be a surgeon but I felt industrial pharmacist could be a good alternative just don’t have the patient contact. Do you have any idea of possible career options in industry and the career? Thanks! Did not expect anyone to reply so fast :smile:
Reply 3
Well, i think what's best is to wait until you get to uni. Because the uni will provide you with placements, such as community and hospital placements (well atleast my uni did), and they will discuss all the career prospects with you in your first year. You'll have to learn what each type of pharmacist does etc for the course. You can do some research into it online and see what there is available, and i don't think you'll truly get a good grasp of the career prospects and what each job involves until you've gone to uni anyway. Infact, it is a bit of an issue where alot of the public don't actually understand how highly qualified a pharmacist is, hence the new advertisements by the NHS about pharmacy healthcare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending