Phildjm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone.

I'm currently doing my BTEC ICT Level 3 Procedural Programming unit. Part of one of my assignments says that I need to compare a procedural programming game and an event driven programming game, and say the differences in the graphical user interface between them.

But it's hard trying to find actual games that use this - I've tried searching on Google, asking my tutor (no reply on emails yet), asking classmates and they don't have a clue either. So I'm wondering how I could manage to do this, hopefully someone on here has done this before or has an idea of what to do.

Cheers
Sydmin
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Procedural and event driven are not specific to games. They are terms used in software development to describe two ways a program will run. A Google search for "procedural vs event driven" comes up with numerous resources - I recommend the ELI5 one from reddit.

If you can understand the concepts you can translate them directly to a game or any other application. Albeit I do not think many (if any) games these days are procedural - many old Flash games used to be but all the current popular games I can think of are event driven in some way.
Phildjm
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpiffyTheSeal)
Procedural and event driven are not specific to games. They are terms used in software development to describe two ways a program will run. A Google search for "procedural vs event driven" comes up with numerous resources - I recommend the ELI5 one from reddit.

If you can understand the concepts you can translate them directly to a game or any other application. Albeit I do not think many (if any) games these days are procedural - many old Flash games used to be but all the current popular games I can think of are event driven in some way.
Yeah that's the thing you see - we have to explain why procedural programming could be suitable for GUI applications and this is how I've had such a dilemma. I do understand the paradigms, but it's hard to relate them to any games, but now you've said it, I probably can. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.
Sydmin
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Phildjm)
Yeah that's the thing you see - we have to explain why procedural programming could be suitable for GUI applications and this is how I've had such a dilemma. I do understand the paradigms, but it's hard to relate them to any games, but now you've said it, I probably can. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.
I would argue that procedural programming is not good for GUI-based applications. If you click a button in a UI and that button triggers an event, is that not an event-based application? I would say yes.

I would personally say the only environment where a GUI would benefit a procedural application is to print the status of that application to the screen so the user can monitor its progress. If an application has been built to do one thing and do one thing only, then user input should not be needed. A user might want to monitor it sure, but not do anything.
Phildjm
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpiffyTheSeal)
I would argue that procedural programming is not good for GUI-based applications. If you click a button in a UI and that button triggers an event, is that not an event-based application? I would say yes.

I would personally say the only environment where a GUI would benefit a procedural application is to print the status of that application to the screen so the user can monitor its progress. If an application has been built to do one thing and do one thing only, then user input should not be needed. A user might want to monitor it sure, but not do anything.
Yeah that's what I've said in my assignment, there's certainly a lot more drawbacks than benefits for procedural programming for GUI applications. Thanks though, can use what you've said as a guide for when I'm choosing programs to make a comparison on,
Sydmin
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Phildjm)
Yeah that's what I've said in my assignment, there's certainly a lot more drawbacks than benefits for procedural programming for GUI applications. Thanks though, can use what you've said as a guide for when I'm choosing programs to make a comparison on,
No problem, glad to have helped. If you get really stuck drop me a PM - I have thought of a few games that use procedural programming in part. But it would be better if you came to your own conclusions too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (560)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.56%

Watched Threads