Girls Attracting Unwanted Attention Watch

beccalou
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Dissey)
people should have the right to dress as they damn please without getting harassed.
... 'asking for it'?? reminds me of people that justify rape because a girl was wearing a mini skirt.
No, nothing justifies such a thing, what i meant by that was asking for the comments, attention etc xx
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
people should have the right to dress as they damn please without getting harassed.
... 'asking for it'?? reminds me of people that justify rape because a girl was wearing a mini skirt.
SHOULD, but don't... so wotcha gonna do? Do it anyway and then moan when you get unwanted attention.

People just need to accept that you can't dress how you want and whether that's right or not is an irrelevance.
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1/ Do Girls who are constantly on the recieving end of unwanted male attention usually "Asking For It" by the way they Dress, come across or even their Reputation?No. Whats with the random capitalisation?

2/ Do you have any sympathy for those girls who seem to have a reputation or those who walk around 24/7 in clothes fit for a Hooker with pretty much Everything on display then wonder WHY they get Perverts after them or nasty/*****y comments off other girls?No. Perverts are gross.

3/ Do they deserve dirty old pervs following them about & pestering them?
Unfair to young clean pervs. WTF?

4/ Generally, what do you think when you see such a girl walking down the street?I think wow, I wonder where she gets the tampons with the extra small string.

I have my reasons for asking such questions. Thanks.I hate to think what these are.
qubog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maybe people are just ****ging off your friend because they are jealous that she has the confidence to wear clothes that show off her body.

Although in my experience, girls who wear very little usually do have a reason for dressing that way. Usually for attention from men. So if pervs give them attention, what right do they have to complain? Although they shouldn't be followed down the street etc...thats just harrassment.
tomm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1/ I couldn't say as I don't think there's a catch-all answer.
2/ Yes. No one deserves that kind of treatment.
3/ Of course not, but they can expect looks.
4/ Nice tits?
crema
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought about this too. It's a disturbingly similar thought process as when people see rape as eminating from the way someone dresses, or acts. It really reveals quite a lot about their hidden view of women.
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1/ Do Girls who are constantly on the recieving end of unwanted male attention usually "Asking For It" by the way they Dress, come across or even their Reputation?

No. I think most girls will agree that you get unwanted attention even when you arnt wearing anything prevokative. For example if you walk past a building site, you could be covered head to toe, but you'll still get some fat builder whistling and calling you darling.

2/ Do you have any sympathy for those girls who seem to have a reputation or those who walk around 24/7 in clothes fit for a Hooker with pretty much Everything on display then wonder WHY they get Perverts after them or nasty/*****y comments off other girls?
Not really if you go out dressed like that all the time, and dont like the attention, wear something else?

No, unless they secretly want the attention

4/ Generally, what do you think when you see such a girl walking down the street?
Not much, unless its cold in which case I think that she must be freezing if shes wearing next to nothing.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sounds to me, like the questions are already biased without even getting to answer them.
Tianbao
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
chicks are just chicks~~~~~~~~~^_^
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

1/ Do Girls who are constantly on the recieving end of unwanted male attention usually "Asking For It" by the way they Dress, come across or even their Reputation?

They're not asking for it, no.

2/ Do you have any sympathy for those girls who seem to have a reputation or those who walk around 24/7 in clothes fit for a Hooker with pretty much Everything on display then wonder WHY they get Perverts after them or nasty/*****y comments off other girls?

You know that dressing like that comes with that sort of attention and that's a choice they make. but, really they should be able to dress how they like without that attention. so I guess limited sympathy.

nobody 'deserves' that.

4/ Generally, what do you think when you see such a girl walking down the street?

honestly, it depends how good she looks. which i kind of hate to say. if she looks awful then I think 'she looks awful and really shouldn't wear that' but if she's gorgeous and sort of pulls it off it's more 'i wish I had her figure but she looks really really tacky'.
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's a terribly inconsistent attitude to say just claim that 'men will be men', and girls should accept this and not dress in a certain way if they don't want to be pestered. Such an attitude suggests that men have the right to act in any way they like towards women, up to the point of pestering them, whereas women can't even choose what clothes they wear without being blamed for the actions of other people.

Girls who dress provocatively often do so to attract male attention, but this does not permit innapropriate behaviour from men. Wearing clothes designed to show off one's body does not imply that one is asking for people to be crude, offensive and disrespectful.

To be honest, I think it is natural for anyone to expect people to take note of what they're wearing and potentially adjust their opinions accordingly, but this doesn't extend to acting in a demeaning way towards them. If I see a girl in very obviously provocative clothing on the street, I might raise an eyebrow to a friend in a "What on earth is she wearing?" kind of way, but I wouldn't dream of treating her like a sex object because of it.

EDIT: Just thought of a nice analogy; are people who wear glasses 'asking for' other people to call them "four eyes"? They could just as easily wear contact lenses...
bete noire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Different people define "dressed like a hooker" in different ways.
ccharlyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not always. Sometimes, yes. But I get unwanted attention sometimes. And I dont 'ask for it' dont have a reputation or anything. I think it has something to do with the
32G's that I unfortunatly possess.

'seem to have a reputation' << I sometimes feel sorry for these, because they don't necessarily deserve it. But the girls who walk around with everything on display should expect that thats the attention they're going to get.... so they either have to deal with that or dress differently. Its whats going to happen in my opinion.

3/ Do they deserve dirty old pervs following them about & pestering them? No. If they tell them to go away, then they should go away. However they should realise that they are going to get dirty old pervs coming after them.

I usually think 'why would you want to dress like that? seriously?'

I have my reasons for asking such questions. Thanks.
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Celifein)
Why do people assume that it's just dressing hussily that attracts the attention of pervs? I rarely wear anything revealing, but pervs follow me around, yell things, feel me up, etc. because I'm shy, walking on my own and unlikely to do anything about it. It's also fairly normal for dirty auld men to stare at my chest--it's not like I can shrink my boobs to make them stop.

Having said that, when I see a girl walking around with everything on show, I tend to think she is a hussy and/or full of herself.
Same here, that's happened to me quite a few times in the past - but I don't even have enormous boobs, so I'm not entirely sure why I get harrassed in the first place. I don't exactly walk around in a head-to-toe radiation suit; but there's no way my general attire could be classed as "revealing" either - I dress modestly.

It's quite frankly ridiculous to assume that all girls who get unwanted attention are "asking for it".
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
Let me introduce you to a strange little concept: it's called "taking responsibility for your actions."

Everybody knows there are perverts walking the streets. They will leap at the chance to whistle at anyone dressed revealingly.

Ideally people could dress how they like, and not get harrassed for it. But the simple fact is you can't, so to do it anyway and then complain when things go wrong is just very stupid.

It's like me saying I like illegal drugs, and in my opinion they should be legal and it's nobody elses business. So I take them anyway but then get arrested for it. Do I then have any right to complain? No, because I knew the situation fully when I took the drug, I knew that although I think it's ok other people have different, perhaps wrong opinions.

This isn't a perfect world in which you can just do whatever you want as long as it doesn't harm anybody, like I said originally - take responsibility for your actions.
I think you've got some things wrong. There's a difference between saying that the outfit was the cause of the unwanted attention and saying that somehow this makes the girl responsible for it. My ugly face might be why someone says something rude in the street but that doesn't mean I'm somehow responsible for having an ugly face.

I think your point of view is quite dangerous because it seems to suggest that women who walk on the street at unsociable hours deserve it if they get assaulted. Their walking around at night might be stupid, yes, and the cause of the assault, but that's not to say that they deserve it or that they should be held responsible.
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate girls who dress like tarts to get attention, then whine because the attention they get isn't from people they consider attractive.
Sikthchick
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

reputation wise... no, depends on the situation really. if she was scantily clad in the middle of winter id say yeh she is asking for it, ut in a hot club where your not gonna want to cover up just for the sake of keeping cool then no. Girls can be flirty but i dont think they are asking for it...

yeh, surely its just those pervs who are assuming shes after one thing...

no, nobody does...

i ont care, if she is comfortable in wha she is wearing who cares?
Somebody
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's really hard to put in a point of view to such biased questions without my answer not sounding like I want it to, but here goes:

Not necessarily - depends on who they are and what they're wearing... I know some people who "cover-up", but still get attention. But if someone's wearing a bikini top, mini skirt and tonnes of make-up just to go and buy a loaf of bread then maybe they should think why they're getting unwanted attention. But I wouldn't necessarily say they were "asking for it"... depends on the person and situation to be honest.

I have sympathy to the extent that there must be a reason why they have a reputation / wear the clothes, and it's probably not a "happy" reason...
I also have sympathy for those who follow the EITHER legs or boobs, not both rule and get a lot of unwanted attention, seeing as they're probably wearing something they feel comfortable in, but at the same time not purporsefully flaunting it.
However, wearing pretty much nothing and refusing to realise or accept the way they dress may be a factor and that unfortunately we girls all judge one another to the extreme, I don't have as much sympathy for...

Pretty much the same answer to question 2. But, no, I don't think anyone deserves that. In a perfect world, everyone would be able to wear what they want without having to worry about others. Unfortunately the world isn't perfect. Some men are pervs. Some women judge by what people are wearing. Infact, more than *some* women judge by outfits... (me included at times I admit. Not proud of it though...)

In the summer: "I wish I could pull off those clothes! I wish I had that confidence", but also sometimes "put it away, love! I like the fact you're confident, but there's other designs that would suit you better!"
In the winter "Invest in some proper clothes. I can get a pair of jeans for less than you paid for that demin mini skirt!"

Like I've already said though, I don't think my views are coming out too clearly seeing as we're having to answer such biased questions...
A lot of it depends on the person and how they handle it to be honest - if they like the attention, then they probably don't care about what others think. If they don't, then they maybe need to look at how they can make minor adjustments - skinny jeans instead of a mini-skirt, say!
tis_me_lord
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
I think you've got some things wrong. There's a difference between saying that the outfit was the cause of the unwanted attention and saying that somehow this makes the girl responsible for it. My ugly face might be why someone says something rude in the street but that doesn't mean I'm somehow responsible for having an ugly face.

I think your point of view is quite dangerous because it seems to suggest that women who walk on the street at unsociable hours deserve it if they get assaulted. Their walking around at night might be stupid, yes, and the cause of the assault, but that's not to say that they deserve it or that they should be held responsible.
That analogy fails - you can't help how you look but you can help how you dress.
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vboss)
If we could dress like we want, this would be a weird world, hence dress codes.
Men will be men, dress like a slut, expect to be treated like one.
It's as if the Sixties never happened.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads