The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Which Brighton campus should I live in?

Okay so I’ve only got one more year left of sixth form and I am definitely set on going to Brighton university. I want to do Fashion communication with business studies and that’s in the Grand Parade campus. So what I was just wondering is what campus should I live in? Falmer does seem nice but I’d have to get a train to grand parade, what’s the grand parade campus like and the people there?

Original post by Macy457
Okay so I’ve only got one more year left of sixth form and I am definitely set on going to Brighton university. I want to do Fashion communication with business studies and that’s in the Grand Parade campus. So what I was just wondering is what campus should I live in? Falmer does seem nice but I’d have to get a train to grand parade, what’s the grand parade campus like and the people there?

I went to Sussex but I had many friends that studied at Brighton University and lived in different places of accomodation. As the accommodation goes, Varley Park has the newest and nicest accommodation. Varley Park and Falmer are the two campuses that have the most 'student village' feel to them due to the layout and the fact that they hold the largest number of students.

When I was a fresher I lived on Sussex Campus, which is just over the road from Brighton Uni's Falmer Campus. A train is not the easiest option to get to Grand Parade - the number 25 bus is far easier as it drops you a 3 minute walk away - there is no train station near the campus that is not less than a 15 minute walk.

If you want more of a student village feel, live at Falmer or Varley Park. If you want accommodation that is easier to get to and from town, be that for a night out, shopping, a visit to the beach or whatever, live at Grande Parade as it is practically on your doorstep. Moulsecoombe would also make it easier for these things.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions about the area if you like :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Becky2305
I went to Sussex but I had many friends that studied at Brighton University and lived in different places of accomodation. As the accommodation goes, Varley Park has the newest and nicest accommodation. Varley Park and Falmer are the two campuses that have the most 'student village' feel to them due to the layout and the fact that they hold the largest number of students.

When I was a fresher I lived on Sussex Campus, which is just over the road from Brighton Uni's Falmer Campus. A train is not the easiest option to get to Grand Parade - the number 25 bus is far easier as it drops you a 3 minute walk away - there is no train station near the campus that is not less than a 15 minute walk.

If you want more of a student village feel, live at Falmer or Varley Park. If you want accommodation that is easier to get to and from town, be that for a night out, shopping, a visit to the beach or whatever, live at Grande Parade as it is practically on your doorstep. Moulsecoombe would also make it easier for these things.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions about the area if you like :smile:

Ahh thank you so much! Okay so about the 25 bus you were saying about how it’s easier, does that mean the bus would be able to pick me up at the Falmer campus and drop me off to the grand parade one (3 mins away)? Another question, what is freshers week like? I wanna know everything that happens like do people from other campuses meet as well ? (Idk much about what happens in freshers haha)
Original post by Macy457
Ahh thank you so much! Okay so about the 25 bus you were saying about how it’s easier, does that mean the bus would be able to pick me up at the Falmer campus and drop me off to the grand parade one (3 mins away)? Another question, what is freshers week like? I wanna know everything that happens like do people from other campuses meet as well ? (Idk much about what happens in freshers haha)

No worries :smile:

Yes, the 25 bus begins/ends its journey on the Falmer Campus, behind where what I think is Brighton's Student Union building. It does not stop directly in front of the Grande Parade building, you would either get off at St. Peter's Church or the stop after which is Old Steine. It doesn't really make a difference which, it is in between the two.

Brighton Uni's Freshers Week actually lasts for a fortnight and is normally pretty good - it's much better than Sussex's one anyway! I don't know from experience as I went to Sussex myself, but I know that my friends at Brighton said they made friends and went out with other flats on their campus, and that they met people from other campuses through their courses and joining sports societies. Freshers Week is so much fun, it's really just about getting to know everyone in your flat and the others around yours and just going out with them! Then there are other things like the Freshers Fair which is where you can sign up to join societies.

It probably seems really overwhelming but honestly you always think it to be 10x more stressful than it really is!
Reply 4
No worries :smile:

Yes, the 25 bus begins/ends its journey on the Falmer Campus, behind where what I think is Brighton's Student Union building. It does not stop directly in front of the Grande Parade building, you would either get off at St. Peter's Church or the stop after which is Old Steine. It doesn't really make a difference which, it is in between the two.

Brighton Uni's Freshers Week actually lasts for a fortnight and is normally pretty good - it's much better than Sussex's one anyway! I don't know from experience as I went to Sussex myself, but I know that my friends at Brighton said they made friends and went out with other flats on their campus, and that they met people from other campuses through their courses and joining sports societies. Freshers Week is so much fun, it's really just about getting to know everyone in your flat and the others around yours and just going out with them! Then there are other things like the Freshers Fair which is where you can sign up to join societies.

It probably seems really overwhelming but honestly you always think it to be 10x more stressful than it really is!

tysm this really helped me get an idea of what it’ll be like! Are you able to give me an insight of what the Brighton nightlife is like?:smile:
Original post by Macy457
tysm this really helped me get an idea of what it’ll be like! Are you able to give me an insight of what the Brighton nightlife is like?:smile:

Thats ok! Yeah sure, the nightlife is really good and I think was voted one of the best in the country :smile: Theres at least 8 actual night clubs, so theres a club night running every day of the week and they're all always busy. Some places are better to go than others on certain days though depending on what kind of music you like. The 'biggest' night out is probably Wednesdays at Pryzm, because thats when all the sports societies from both Brighton and Sussex go out in their fancy dress. There's also countless places that are like, bars with dance floors if you get what I mean haha, and theres over 400 pubs in Brighton as well. There's literally always something to do and somewhere to go :smile:
Reply 6
Thats ok! Yeah sure, the nightlife is really good and I think was voted one of the best in the country :smile: Theres at least 8 actual night clubs, so theres a club night running every day of the week and they're all always busy. Some places are better to go than others on certain days though depending on what kind of music you like. The 'biggest' night out is probably Wednesdays at Pryzm, because thats when all the sports societies from both Brighton and Sussex go out in their fancy dress. There's also countless places that are like, bars with dance floors if you get what I mean haha, and theres over 400 pubs in Brighton as well. There's literally always something to do and somewhere to go :smile:

Omg sounds so good I can’t wait!!
Make it easier for yourself and live on the campus you will be studying on

Quick Reply

Latest