Can failed love cause suicide?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(before I begin im not suicidal or anything dont worry, but i am curious into the dangerous effects of love on our mental health, and how it can be similar to drugs. Im thinking about writing a project on it, so a discussion would be useful)

E.g I mean a guy may fall for an amazing perfect, beautiful girl out of this world. He's already made a big mistake, thinking she's real/not a catfish. After messaging or talking to this perfect girl online, ill give 2 examples that could

She's a catfish and a guy has been in love with a girl with a perfect personality and perfect looks for him. Only to find out hes been catfished the whole time, the girl looks nothing like her pictures, more like a completely different unattractive person and/or faked her personality

The girl is real, and the guy already has a girlfriend who he was in love with, but talks to this new girl anyway with the hopes of being friends, no matter how beautiful she is. After a while, he cant help it and falls out of love with his girlfriend. He ends the relationship with his girlfriend to pursue the new girl. The whole time, she never really was in love with her and just leaves him. He loses everything.

Love is extremely powerful. People say its more powerful than any other drug. Drugs itself can cause suicide and people become so easily addicted to it. So when you lose love, you may feel like you lose everything you have. Wouldn't you want to end it then?
rnl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
(before I begin im not suicidal or anything dont worry, but i am curious into the dangerous effects of love on our mental health, and how it can be similar to drugs. Im thinking about writing a project on it, so a discussion would be useful)

E.g I mean a guy may fall for an amazing perfect, beautiful girl out of this world. He's already made a big mistake, thinking she's real/not a catfish. After messaging or talking to this perfect girl online, ill give 2 examples that could

She's a catfish and a guy has been in love with a girl with a perfect personality and perfect looks for him. Only to find out hes been catfished the whole time, the girl looks nothing like her pictures, more like a completely different unattractive person and/or faked her personality

The girl is real, and the guy already has a girlfriend who he was in love with, but talks to this new girl anyway with the hopes of being friends, no matter how beautiful she is. After a while, he cant help it and falls out of love with his girlfriend. He ends the relationship with his girlfriend to pursue the new girl. The whole time, she never really was in love with her and just leaves him. He loses everything.

Love is extremely powerful. People say its more powerful than any other drug. Drugs itself can cause suicide and people become so easily addicted to it. So when you lose love, you may feel like you lose everything you have. Wouldn't you want to end it then?
You are in control of your own emotions- it just takes training and discipline. If you’re broken hearted it’s because your emotions made you that way, not the person you’d claim to have broken your heart. A lot of people scoff at this view but I’ve noticed a pattern and they’re always the ones struggling and completely run by their own emotions. They want to play the victim so they scoff at the truth. But trust me if you train your emotions then you’ll know what I’m on about here
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes, it can
luckyshamrock
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can do. Most people get through it luckily but it takes time
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes it can, as shown by multiple examples of suicide of heart broken couples. Multiple examples of people going through therapy and consolation of friends to get through the feelings of worthlessness or bitterness or lows.

Generally I don't think love it self causes the suicide, but rather development of negative feelings, possibly depression etc...One things for certain though-when someone experiences a breakup, and its crushing, they will never come back to the person you once knew.

I find it quite fascinating how powerful love. Unfortunately, nowadays I feel its easier to hate then it is to love ;/
Lepidolite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I’d probably want to kill myself/self harm/take drugs If I fell in love and gave my heart to someone when it turned out that the entire thing was full of ****
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No idea what that whole rant about catfishing was about, however yes it is possible to commit suicide after a breakup.

That said, I feel that is more of a trigger for someone to commit suicide than the root cause of it. Usually it adds fuel to the embers of a bigger problem, regardless of that that may be. The relationship could have been the straw that broke the camels back, I don't think that many people with fairly healthy mental state would kill themselves as a result of a relationship going south. They may go through a period of low mood (highly likely if they were serious about her/him) or even clinical depression, but over time they would move on and likely find someone else.
Dheorl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rnl)
You are in control of your own emotions- it just takes training and discipline. If you’re broken hearted it’s because your emotions made you that way, not the person you’d claim to have broken your heart. A lot of people scoff at this view but I’ve noticed a pattern and they’re always the ones struggling and completely run by their own emotions. They want to play the victim so they scoff at the truth. But trust me if you train your emotions then you’ll know what I’m on about here
No.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
likely the number two reason,

number one reason would be money.
TheZugg
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rnl)
You are in control of your own emotions- it just takes training and discipline....
Bull - Absolute BULL!
Depression can be caused by something as slight as a chemical imbalance in your brain - so no this IS NOT something that you have ANY control over. Trust me on this, I have been medicated for this for almost 15 years.

In all honesty I find your reply repugnant and very short sighted.
There are 100,000s of people suffering from Mental Illness, be it depression/anxiety/PTSD or others, to turn round and blanket cover it by saying that YOU ARE IN CONTROL!!!
Believe you me - No we really are not!
Picnic1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone who describes a girl as 'perfect' is to be avoided. A 'perfect' girl? Define perfect. You mean perfect for that guy who's so unlikely to be perfect himself, thus he would turn her in to not being 'objectively' perfect. Is a non-virgin still 'perfect'? Not to someone who wants unconditional love with someone who's only ever been unconditional to them. He must be selfish, narrow-minded, to regard someone as 'perfect' because the implication is that other people aren't 'perfect'.

In answer to your question, Romeo and Juliet.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How do people fall in love online? That’s so weird and unromantic. You can meet people online but you can’t develop feelings without being in their presence and having them be a part of your life
Dheorl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Picnic1)
Anyone who describes a girl as 'perfect' is to be avoided. A 'perfect' girl? Define perfect. You mean perfect for that guy who's so unlikely to be perfect himself, thus he would turn her in to not being 'objectively' perfect. Is a non-virgin still 'perfect'? Not to someone who wants unconditional love with someone who's only ever been unconditional to them. He must be selfish, narrow-minded, to regard someone as 'perfect' because the implication is that other people aren't 'perfect'.

In answer to your question, Romeo and Juliet.
I agree no-one is perfect to everyone, but someone can very definitely be perfect to another person. Even the bad bits, because you know them inside and out and see the balance it brings to the relationship. And yes, that does mean that other people aren't perfect for you, why is that such a bad thing?
rnl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheZugg)
Bull - Absolute BULL!
Depression can be caused by something as slight as a chemical imbalance in your brain - so no this IS NOT something that you have ANY control over. Trust me on this, I have been medicated for this for almost 15 years.

In all honesty I find your reply repugnant and very short sighted.
There are 100,000s of people suffering from Mental Illness, be it depression/anxiety/PTSD or others, to turn round and blanket cover it by saying that YOU ARE IN CONTROL!!!
Believe you me - No we really are not!
As I said it takes training. I’ve been through very bad depression so I know what it feels like thank you very much. When you play the victim it’s a lot harder to control your hormones, and therefore your emotions. But no one else can increase your level of serotonin or cortisol but your own brain it’s physically impossible for anyone else to alter that for you. But I am currently going through depression again but it’s nowhere near as bad even though the situation is much worse because I’m not playing the victim and viewing it as a battle between me and mental illness... that would be silly for me seeing as I’ve created this outlook. But I’ll get there and so will you with whatever you’re struggling with ❤️✌️
rnl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dheorl)
No.
...yes😂
Dheorl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rnl)
...yes😂
The fact that you put some pathetic trap in your original statement essentially preventing anyone disagreeing made me decide it wasn't worth more than a no. Fortunately it seems others also see how ridiculous what you're claiming is.
rnl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The fact that you put some pathetic trap in your original statement essentially preventing anyone disagreeing made me decide it wasn't worth more than a no. Fortunately it seems others also see how ridiculous what you're claiming is.
It’s not a trap. It’s just how we’ve been raised. We have been raised to think that other people can control our own hormones (just the thought of people going into your brain to control hormone levels is quite a funny image). You just have to be open minded about it all to move away from what society has conditioned you to believe.
Dheorl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rnl)
It’s not a trap. It’s just how we’ve been raised. We have been raised to think that other people can control our own hormones (just the thought of people going into your brain to control hormone levels is quite a funny image). You just have to be open minded about it all to move away from what society has conditioned you to believe.
"A lot of people scoff at this view but I’ve noticed a pattern and they’re always the ones struggling and completely run by their own emotions."

This is what I refer to as a trap. It's akin to saying something along the lines of "all men are argumentative". A man can't argue it without proving the point. Equally, by setting out this statement you automatically insinuate anyone who tries to disagree simples isn't in control and disciplined.

There are people like Stephen Fry who have suffered with forms of depression their entire lives, and they have minds that I'd bet good money would put yours to shame. Do you honestly think with people like that in the world it's just a matter of control?
rnl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"A lot of people scoff at this view but I’ve noticed a pattern and they’re always the ones struggling and completely run by their own emotions."

This is what I refer to as a trap. It's akin to saying something along the lines of "all men are argumentative". A man can't argue it without proving the point. Equally, by setting out this statement you automatically insinuate anyone who tries to disagree simples isn't in control and disciplined.

There are people like Stephen Fry who have suffered with forms of depression their entire lives, and they have minds that I'd bet good money would put yours to shame. Do you honestly think with people like that in the world it's just a matter of control?
I’d actually like to point out it’s mainly females who come back at me. But I assume youre male then. There’s no point me explaining myself to you, with all respect. I’m in control of my emotions and that’s fine. You’re not so much and that’s also perfectly fine. Let’s leave it there
Dheorl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rnl)
I’d actually like to point out it’s mainly females who come back at me. But I assume youre male then. There’s no point me explaining myself to you, with all respect. I’m in control of my emotions and that’s fine. You’re not so much and that’s also perfectly fine. Let’s leave it there
My point exactly. You have literally no substance to back up your point, so you make sure you set something up at the start to make it impossible in your eyes to argue against. You can make all the assumptions you like, I mean by doing so you've just highlighted how much of a douche you are, but the fact remains you clearly lack even a basic knowledge of how the human body works, and frankly I cba to fill in the holes; hopefully you've still got some time left in the school system for that to happen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (23)
69.7%
I don't have everything I need (10)
30.3%

Watched Threads