Tiolu16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Please I need some help, I have been really stuck on this question.
A particle with mass and charge is moving from left to right in a uniform gravitational field and a uniform electric field. The gravitational field is downwards. The gravitational force and the electric force on this particle act in opposite directions.
What could be the sign of the charge on the particle and the direction of the electric field?
olivia.linley1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you know what the answer is? I think I have an idea but I don’t know if it’s right πŸ˜…
millbaker
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it could either be a negative particle with a downwards electric field or a positive particle with an upwards electric field
millbaker
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because you need the particle to be attracted to the upper electric plate for the force to be in that direction (opp. to gravitational) and electric field direction is positive to negative
Tiolu16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Yeah it's negative with a downwards electric field thanks for the explanation I didn't understand it before
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (111)
28.03%
No (285)
71.97%

Watched Threads