Denim jackets on girls? Watch

NinaJenson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have been wondering for some time whether or not to buy a denim jacket, probably a fairly faded looking one, possibly or possibly not vintage. I mostly wear floral tea dresses and the occassional bold retro print, so these are the types of things it would be worn with. I am tall and slim, I guess people count me as the type that can get away with quite a lot, fashion-wise. However, in the highly valued opinion of my fellow TSR's, can anyone really get away with denim jackets or should they be left in the past?
alenax
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In my opinion, they should be left in the past.
jojo1991
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no as long as you match the denim jacket with feminine clothes (summer dresses etc) and roll up the sleeves you should get away with it!

xxx
Belle-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends. A short faded one can look alright but only on the right people..They can look majorly chavvy on some. If you can pull it off, go for it!
halátnost
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NinaJenson)
I have been wondering for some time whether or not to buy a denim jacket, probably a fairly faded looking one, possibly or possibly not vintage. I mostly wear floral tea dresses and the occassional bold retro print, so these are the types of things it would be worn with. I am tall and slim, I guess people count me as the type that can get away with quite a lot, fashion-wise. However, in the highly valued opinion of my fellow TSR's, can anyone really get away with denim jackets or should they be left in the past?

Um, you are in a pickle. It's a tough one. You will always run the risk of it ruining a perfectly nice outfit! I'm just imagining a light faded denim jacket and it is screaming early 90s at me whilst taping a Backstreet Boys song off the radio.

Tbh, I'm sure there are combos with which u could get away with it. But then that's the thing isn't it...you'd always be getting away with it, not just, say, wearing a nice item of clothing.

Personally, I would leave it in the past. Even if people recognise that u are not totally fashion backwards they will realise that this is a girl making a concerned effort to make a denim jacket work, to rescue it from the bargain bin of extinction.

Go for it, if you really feel you can justify it. But I tend to cringe when I see them.

Your avatar is gorgeous. Exactly my type of style. Let us know what u decide btw!
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sometimes they are alright, if they are fitted and stuff and worn with nice girly clothes, otherwise they look a bit rough.
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
IMHO, denim should be left on the legs.
I've never liked them.
Alison267
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
denium jackets should be banned, NOONE should wear them, fact.
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My sister has a really nice fitted vintage denim jacket which she wears with the sleeves rolled up with (as other people have suggested) "girly" clothes. It always looks awesome on her - but when I've tried the same look, it doesn't look so good on me. I think it's just one of those things that some people can pull off, and others (like me) can't. Maybe buy one and ask a friend what it looks like? If it doesn't suit you, you can always take it back.

One thing is key though - do not be tempted to wear any more denim if you're wearing a denim jacket! :p:
Celifein
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The only thing I can wear my denim jacket with is a summery dress/skirt and sandals. It looks pants with anything else. I probably wouldn't go out and buy one if I didn't already have one (my dad bought me mine in my mid-teens).
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alenax)
In my opinion, they should be left in the past.
:dito:
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate denim jackets with a passion but if you want to wear it then do.
whatever you wear some people will like and some people wont so as long as you like it and feel comfortable go for it.
arminvanpite
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
An open denim jacket - blue, pretty faded - looks awesome on top of an open grey hoodie (with a tshirt underneath all that, obviously). I'm not sure if any would see this as a 'lesbian look' though.
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NinaJenson)
i think they are a classic and a wardrobe staple. They were overdone in the past and that is why people have gone off them slightly, but a well cut denim jacket, worn without jeans, just with dresses or white trouser etc, is really good for the summer.
They aren't fashionable at the moment though, so a really nice one is hard to get hold of currently. I would only buy one if i were you if you came across the perfect jacket that'll make all your summer outfits look effortlessly cool.
Infected Mushroom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it depends on how the denim jacket actually looks, i think it can look ace with cute dresses but again it can also look awful.
why not post a picture of the one that you are thinking of buying, and wear a dress with it (like in the changing rooms or something)

i really like leather jackets with dresses...but only some people can pull it off.
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like them, I have a nice fitted one that I got from India and it's got 3/4 sleeves.. I've never worn it with dresses though I have to say, I've not used it for aaaaages. But I think they look cool as long as they are worn right - JUST LIKE ANYTHING ELSE.
halátnost
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *pitseleh*)
My sister has a really nice fitted vintage denim jacket which she wears with the sleeves rolled up with (as other people have suggested) "girly" clothes. It always looks awesome on her - but when I've tried the same look, it doesn't look so good on me. I think it's just one of those things that some people can pull off, and others (like me) can't. Maybe buy one and ask a friend what it looks like? If it doesn't suit you, you can always take it back.

One thing is key though - do not be tempted to wear any more denim if you're wearing a denim jacket! :p:
Sleeves rolled up is a good idea. I have this thing about rolling sleeves up. I hate 3/4 length items of clothing but, basically, anything with sleeves I get my hands on, it's like sleeve rolling OCD or summit. I have great Ralph Lauren shirts which look brilliant rolled up. I think it might be a by-product of painting a lot.

Again, I think with a floral or summery dress a faded denim jacket would look ok, but it is hit and miss. Actually the more we are discussing it, the more I am warming to the idea, but it's a question of actually prefering it to another type of cover up. Also, although I like dark denim, I think dark denim jackets are even more wrong, because it's like a blatant attempt to formalise them. & I just don't think denim jackets can ever be formal, it's totally redundant just adding a bit more ink! Like wearing a bowtie with a granddad vest or something!
Enchanté
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't like denim jackets wore those when I was like 10.
But they can still look alright on some people.
Frannnnn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
whatever you do, don't wear denim with denim.. made that mistake when i was 9 years old... never again!
halátnost
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Frannnnn)
whatever you do, don't wear denim with denim.. made that mistake when i was 9 years old... never again!

Oh, I think we all did.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (115)
72.78%
No (43)
27.22%

Watched Threads