Opinions on fat acceptance

Watch
EuanA
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Please put your honest opinions into the thread, would love to hear what people have to say.

I personally feel that praising people for being overweight is awful, it’s encouraging people to live an unhealthy lifestyle that is likely to lead to health and mental health issues in the future.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EuanA)
Please put your honest opinions into the thread, would love to hear what people have to say.

I personally feel that praising people for being overweight is awful, it’s encouraging people to live an unhealthy lifestyle that is likely to lead to health and mental health issues in the future.
I havent noticed people being praised for being overweight?

Do you believe fat shaming is the way to go?

What do you believe gives you the right?

Do you practice it?
GBRCassidy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EuanA)

I agree with you here. Our mostly sedentary lifestyle has made 'survival of the fittest' irrelevant to a large degree and we're paying for it now. Fat acceptance is just trying to convince people they don't need to change. I say this as a formally large person!
Harold Saxon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Absolutely ridiculous, obesity shouldn't be a sensitive topic we cannot criticise due to certain peoples feelings regarding it.

It is literally the second leading cause of cancer in the UK, however we should not act violently towards the obese - but instead promote better lifestyle choices. Perhaps there could be some incentive put out in order to get people wanting to become fit - other than reducing your chances of getting cancer, diabetes, a range of other diseases and an early death. Why should we accept obesity when can cause this range of deadly side effects?

And yes, I know there are certain cases where getting fit is not physically possible, which is really rather unfortunate - but this is not the case for the majority of those who are overweight.
monkeyman0121
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think there should be no fat acceptance for people who can lose weight but are not trying too. I think that there should be no fat shaming but encouragement to lose weight could go a long way. I mean telling someone they are unattractive because of their 'rolls' is not encouraging them it is just downright making fun of them.
EuanA
Rep:
?
(Original post by Harold Saxon)
Absolutely ridiculous, obesity shouldn't be a sensitive topic we cannot criticise due to certain peoples feelings regarding it.

It is literally the second leading cause of cancer in the UK, however we should not act violently towards the obese - but instead promote better lifestyle choices. Perhaps there could be some incentive put out in order to get people wanting to become fit - other than reducing your chances of getting cancer, diabetes, a range of other diseases and an early death. Why should we accept obesity when can cause this range of deadly side effects?

And yes, I know there are certain cases where getting fit is not physically possible, which is really rather unfortunate - but this is not the case for the majority of those who are overweight.
Very well put!
EuanA
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
I havent noticed people being praised for being overweight?

Do you believe fat shaming is the way to go?

What do you believe gives you the right?

Do you practice it?
If you look on channels like biz feed on YouTube there is an abundance of videos seemingly praising people for being overweight. so yes, I do think people are praised for being overweight.

I don’t believe that fat shaming should take place however people that complain that larger size clothes are more expensive are stupid, of corse it costs more, it’s made of more material... but no I don’t practice fat shaming, I would be more inclined to discourage larger people from carrying out certain activities, such as eating large meals, if I wasn’t scared of the backlash 😂
Holy Pieter
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes indeed.

The slobs won't be celebrating when they're on their deathbeds with heart problems in their 30's, will they?
EuanA
Rep:
?
(Original post by monkeyman0121)
I think there should be no fat acceptance for people who can lose weight but are not trying too. I think that there should be no fat shaming but encouragement to lose weight could go a long way. I mean telling someone they are unattractive because of their 'rolls' is not encouraging them it is just downright making fun of them.
I agree. One issue though is sometimes encouragement could be interpreted as shaming
icequeenTM
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Harold Saxon)

Odd. I thought the Master would get his beloved Toclafane to wipe out obesity.

Change is good.
Harold Saxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by icequeenTM)

Change is good.
You've got me there, I managed to decimate one tenth of the entire stinking human disgrace before the doctor stopped me. Rather unfortunate really.
EuanA
Rep:
?
(Original post by icequeenTM)

Change is good.
Change isn’t good when it’s causing serious health issues
Sam00
Badges: 17
Report 2 years ago
All people should be 'accepted' regardless of weight, gender, race, etc. It would be very uncommon for a person to eat excessively just to increase their weight for s***s and giggles, and if they did, who has the right to look down on them? Nobody!

Obesity has become a global health problem, which is associated with various life limiting comorbidities, increased rates of depression, and has a massive financial impact on the healthcare system. Because obesity is avoidable, there is a need to find ways of tackling its root causes, rather than treat its complications which can often be irreversible.

You say people shouldn't be accepting towards obesity, so what should they do instead?
Jono*
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fat acceptance is terrible, fat acceptance is bad for the very people it claims to help, when you are fat, you are more prone to health issues, but when you're very fat, you're voluntarily disabled. We shouldn't mock people for being fat, that's called being an ass0, but we must never try and pretend it's anything other than extremely unhealthy and limiting.

It's ok to mock the feminists who post pictures of their fat asses alongside with things like "I'm beautiful", because they need to be b**ch slapped back to reality, and don't get me started on the people who complain that the seats on airplanes are too small, I'm the one who has to sit next to then for 11 hours while they take up half my seat which I paid for.
Jono*
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sam00)
All people should be 'accepted' regardless of weight, gender, race, etc. It would be very uncommon for a person to eat excessively just to increase their weight for s***s and giggles, and if they did, who has the right to look down on them? Nobody!

Obesity has become a global health problem, which is associated with various life limiting comorbidities, increased rates of depression, and has a massive financial impact on the healthcare system. Because obesity is avoidable, there is a need to find ways of tackling its root causes, rather than treat its complications which can often be irreversible.

You say people shouldn't be accepting towards obesity, so what should they do instead?
It should be treated in the same way as anorexia, it's not 'the the way they are'. It usually because they zero self control, which is fixable. You wouldn't tell an anorexic "you do you hunny, you're beautiful" now would you?
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EuanA)
If you look on channels like biz feed on YouTube there is an abundance of videos seemingly praising people for being overweight. so yes, I do think people are praised for being overweight.

I don’t believe that fat shaming should take place however people that complain that larger size clothes are more expensive are stupid, of corse it costs more, it’s made of more material... but no I don’t practice fat shaming, I would be more inclined to discourage larger people from carrying out certain activities, such as eating large meals, if I wasn’t scared of the backlash 😂
If you look on youtube you can find any theory. In general society it isnt praised or lauded as you pretend. It is seen as unhealthy and unattractive. People are praised for being thin and having a flat stomach.
Marshmello's Dad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I lose all respect for someone who stays fat for longer than 18 months.
If you don't respect your body, don't expect me to respect you
ironandbeer2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is no middle ground in this country anymore. I don't agree with fat shaming but equally I don't agree whatsoever with praising unhealthiness. People should not be essentially bullied for their weight, but neither should they be praised. Both are harmful and ridiculous. I say this as someone who lost 5 stone in a year of my own accord.
EuanA
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sam00)

Really good point! I feel like a lot of people do put on weight through sheer laziness and this could definitely be tackled.

As for mental health issues, I do think that you have a good point but just because someone has a mental health problem that causes the obesity we should praise it. I suffer with severe anxiety and as a result lose a lot of weight extremely fast but no one tells me that it’s completely fine because that would solve nothing and I’d become even more ill. Instead I make a conscious effort to put the weight back on in order to stay healthy, a similar thing should be done with people that are overweight in my opinion.
EuanA
Rep:
?
(Original post by ironandbeer2)
There is no middle ground in this country anymore. I don't agree with fat shaming but equally I don't agree whatsoever with praising unhealthiness. People should not be essentially bullied for their weight, but neither should they be praised. Both are harmful and ridiculous. I say this as someone who lost 5 stone in a year of my own accord.
I agree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads