Help. I've been robbed, What should I do? Watch

timbstoke
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Alive)
This helped no one, apart from those who already know what it means.
It means you send a recorded delivery letter to the seller (when it gets to this stage, always work by post), saying that you are rejecting the goods as "not as described." Tell them that the goods are available for collection at your convenience, but in the meantime, you require a full refund within 14 days, or you will start small claims proceedings without further notice. If you're feeling nice, you could tell them that you are happy to send the goods back to them at their expense.

If you get no response, start a claim at moneyclaim.gov.uk
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Accpeting a recorded delivery doesnt mean a huge amount because you rarely look into and open a package ebfore you accept it.
Alive
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stealth-Mode)
Your post makes no sense. Content wise. The sentence is an oxymoron. lol
??

"This [your original post] helped no one [as they would not know legal definitions], apart from those who already know what it [your original post and the terms contained in it] means."

E.g. if someone knew of the Sale of Goods act, and was familiar with legal terms, but had either not studied it or it had forgotten this particular part (which, I would imagine, does not actually apply), then they would understood the quoted material.

However the thread starter doesn't appear to know their legal whatsits, and so won't have any idea what 'rejected goods' are defined as in law.

I would be interested to know what definition of 'oxymoron' you are using.

I believe random_bloke is correct.
Dream1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
thanks guyz, but I rang them up and they said that the terms state - no liability for the quality of the goods would be accepted if any unauthorised repair or inspection of the internal components had been made. How do they know?
Yes, I did open the recorders to see them from the inside, but I did not change or do anything with any of the parts, and then I just closed it up. What can I do now? I really thought I was in with a chance but now they have the upper hand. Am I doomed? I still did not order those recorders, so does that still give me a chance, worth going to court?
sdt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you taking the piss?

By the way, you should still have a fighting chance. Although you are a bit of a moron.
Dream1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by sdt)
Are you taking the piss?

By the way, you should still have a fighting chance. Although you are a bit of a moron.
huh? no, im not taking the piss, im asking for your help, I dont know what to do.
Alive
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dream1)
thanks guyz, but I rang them up and they said that the terms state - no liability for the quality of the goods would be accepted if any unauthorised repair or inspection of the internal components had been made. How do they know?
Yes, I did open the recorders to see them from the inside, but I did not change or do anything with any of the parts, and then I just closed it up. What can I do now? I really thought I was in with a chance but now they have the upper hand. Am I doomed? I still did not order those recorders, so does that still give me a chance, worth going to court?
I'm not really even sure what product you are talking about specifically, but did you have to open them up to check if they were the specific model you ordered?

And I think you probably have a chance here, it was pretty stupid to start opening them up though, you should have left them in their boxes. Consult a friend who does law.
TOD100
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dream1)
I bought 3 recorders for £720, VX2 versions, but then when I received them, they were VX1s recorders which are of less quality. Then, I received a letter a few days later saying that they never had any VX2s left, along with that they sent me a £240 cheque to cover the difference in value between the recorders. In the letter it said that unless I return these VX1 recorders within 3 weeks it would be assumed that I am happy with the deal. I went on holiday on the day I received the letter and came back after 4 weeks. When I came back I tested the recorders but they were of low quality, so I sent the recorders back but they said that I failed to return the recorders within the 3 weeks. I feel i've been robbed. What should I do? Can I do anything? Please help me, anyone. Please please.
This is a contract law question copied, nearly word for word, out of a textbook.

If this is coursework that you need help with - go to the law forum - or READ your textbook.

For those of you interested, Page 128 of Contract Law (6th Edition) by Catherine Elliott and Frances Quinn.

idiot.
Casserole
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TOD100)
This is a contract law question copied, nearly word for word, out of a textbook.

For those of you interested, Page 128 of Contract Law (6th Edition) by Catherine Elliott and Frances Quinn.
It took you two days to figure that out?

Bleh.
TOD100
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was giving the benefit of the doubt.
sdt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, he'll be a fine lawyer, that's for sure. Already scamming people and he hasn't even graduated.
MrJigsaw
Report 10 years ago
Im a new law sudent and have been set a task, any suggestions peoples its would be of great help...Hi can any one give me some info on the following:

On Monday 1st September, Ashraf, a wholesale dealer in photography equipment, placed the following advertisement in a trade magazine:

“Fantastic deal – do not miss this! ‘Nikki’ brand K100 model digital cameras, with all standard accessories. £200 each – limited stocks - first come, first served. Maximum 10 cameras per customer. Acceptance must be confirmed to me in writing by midday on Friday 5th September.”

Belinda, a camera retailer and one of Ashraf’s regular customers, posted a letter to Ashraf on the afternoon of 1st September stating; “I will take 5 of the Nikki K100 cameras for £1,000.” Unfortunately, the letter was wrongly addressed and did not arrive until Monday 8th September. Belinda realised her mistake on the morning of Thursday 4th September. Belinda’s e-mail was not working and so she immediately faxed a copy of her acceptance to Ashraf.

Carl, another of Ashraf’s regular trade customers, sent an e-mail to Ashraf at 6pm on Thursday 4th September as follows: “Please treat this as confirmation of my acceptance of 10 Nikki K100 cameras at £200 each. Is a spare memory card included in the price?” This e-mail was available to be read on Ashraf’s computer just seconds after it was sent but Ashraf closes his business at 5.30pm each day and so did not read it. In fact, Ashraf was extremely busy on Friday morning and so did not access his e-mail until 2pm on that day.

Shortly after reading Carl’s e-mail at 2pm on Friday 5th September, Ashraf also noticed the fax which had been sent from Belinda. Nowadays, Ashraf conducts all of his business by either post or e-mail and so very rarely checks his fax machine. All of Ashraf’s regular customers are very well aware of this.

Ashraf does not wish to be bound to sell any of the Nikki K100 cameras to either Belinda or Carl as he has now found a customer willing to pay a much higher price for them.

Advise Ashraf.

Word limit: 1,500 words
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (59)
30.1%
No - I got the required grades (114)
58.16%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.73%

Watched Threads