Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have offers from UCL, LSE and Kings for the LLB Law course and was just deciding between the three universities. I had some questions about the differences between the three to try and help me decide, and would really appreciate it if anyone knew any information / had any opinions on the decision I'm not really interested in the league standings, as I know they're all top uni's

I was wondering however,

1. What are the differences in workload of the LLB Course at the three universities? I heard that UCL students got set fewer essays and had less hours of tutorials than Kings students for example? Are there any real differences in the timetable?

2. There appear to be some fine differences in the way the degrees are tought from what I can see with LSE doing Criminal Law in the first year and UCL not teaching it till the second / third year. Does anyone have any preferences / know any more information about any particularly important differences in the structure / content of the degrees ? I was reading about Students at UCL being able to mix in one option in their third year with studies of another subject such as philosophy? Would this be true at all the three universities?

3. My main question really is What do people feel is the difference in atmosphere between the three universities ? I consider the social aspect far more important than the small perceived difference in rankings between the three universities, so was wondering if anyone had any views about whether any of the three universities had advantages socially / which would be your preference, purely based on the social aspect ? Also, I have heard that Kings is more conservative than the LSE, which is perceived to be more radical / left wing ?

4. Just any advice / opinions about anything at the three unis that people might have

I know that a lot of it is just personal preference really, but any information / opinions can never hurt

Thanks a lot for any help !

Really is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

1. The workloads at three unis will be the same - the assesment method might be different (between essays, exams, presentations etc) but, ultimately, you have to put as much work in wherever you go. They are high ranking UK universities!

2. An LLB is a qualifying law degree so you are going to cover the same things as everybody else at some point: crime, tort, constitutional and Admin etc. I think, also, that political bias is a thing of the past. If you still attach a stigma to universities for being conservatives then expect it of the old "red-brick" unis, however, I still think that opinon is a bit out-dated and naive.

3. I can't really comment on the social life because I don't go to a London University; however, I imagine wherever you go it will be immense. I hope to do an MA at UCL, so I hope it will be good too! You are in the country's captial - how bad can it be?

Hope that helps. I don't do Law (nearly did) but I have a lot of friends (and a gf) that do it.

ReputationRep:
    P.S. my brother is going to LSE for Economics, he thinks that it is a good one. Maybe you want to consder thae fact that it has a reputation for Ecomonics and Political science. I guess you are right: it is where YOU feel must comfortable, ultimately.

Hope it goes well for you!!

ReputationRep:
    Obviously going to Oxbridge is still better for obtaining pupillage. But out of the three, LSE without a doubt. UCL has an amazing Constitution Unit but it is better for post-grad stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I'm sending off my ucas application in a few days and I'm still undecided whether to choose LSE or UCL for a LLB. My main concern is International Law, but none of the two offers a specific course.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.