University help please Watch

desigrl69
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok I'm applying to an international Medical school and i got an email from them:-

"you transcript suggests that you have taken Science: Double Award instead of biology, chemistry and physics which is not acceptable. We need to understand what a double award comprises? We will need a clarification so that your application can be processed provisionally."

I don't know how I'm supposed to reply to that, I know that I have to explain that in GCSE Science Double Award you had to do biology, chemistry and physics but im not sure how to put that in word, can someone please help?
djhworld
Report 10 years ago
Just say GCSE Science Double award encompasses the disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics into one grade instead of three.

EDIT: and make it clear that there is a distinction between "double award" and "single award", i.e. double award is given to those of higher ability.
tigereye
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would say something along the lines of:

For double science GCSE I studied and took and exams in each of the three science disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics. Each of the disciplines is weighted evenly in the overall mark given.

You could also try looking at the specifications on the website for the examboard on which you took it and see if they ahve any information which the university could find helpful and maybe link them to it?
xximstrongerthanthatxx
Report 10 years ago
To be honest, if the university is serious about accepting international students then they should be fully aware of the qualifiations the country offers
apotoftea
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by djhworld)
Just say GCSE Science Double award encompasses the disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics into one grade instead of three.

EDIT: and make it clear that there is a distinction between "double award" and "single award", i.e. double award is given to those of higher ability.
Are you sure? The single award is for the single sciences which is more work, harder and more exams (having done it myself) ie: on your certificates it reads:

Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A

rather than with the double award which does not have the extension papers:

Biology - BB
Chemistry - BB
Physics - BB
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

No that's not the case. The distinction here is between a GCSE science course which covers the three subjects and is worth two GCSEs, and doing the extension papers for the separate GCSEs in each of the three sciences. Unfortunately it sounds like GCSE dual award Science is not accepted for the course the OP wants to do. If you have the single GCSEs the subjects are separately identified as Stickyvix says; if you have done the Dual Award the result is shown as Science Dual Award XX (XX being the grades you got).
djhworld
Report 10 years ago
Hmm well I don't know then, I did my GCSEs nearly 5 years ago, the system must have changed.

When I was at school, the single award was given to those of lower ability, whereas the double award was given to those in the higher science groups.
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm well I don't know then, I did my GCSEs nearly 5 years ago, the system must have changed.

When I was at school, the single award was given to those of lower ability, whereas the double award was given to those in the higher science groups.
I did my GCSEs in 2003 and I have the certificates, school work (it's somewhere at home) and the memory to know that the single award was for higher ability candidates.
MGT_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stickyvix)
I did my GCSEs in 2003 and I have the certificates, school work (it's somewhere at home) and the memory to know that the single award was for higher ability candidates.
The single award is entirely different from separate science.

Single award means you get one grade for all three sciences.
Double award means you get two grades for all three sciences.
Separate means you get a grade for each of the three sciences.
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh ok - so I did the seperate award then, which at the time was also known as the single sciences, with one grade for each subject
MGT_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stickyvix)
Oh ok - so I did the seperate award then, which at the time was also known as the single sciences, with one grade for each subject
It still is the case. The distinction is between single sciences and single award science.

We could just call it single, double and triple and avoid the problem altogether. Technically, I'm sure they're just called Biology, Physics, and Chemistry. Separate sciences is just a name given to differentiate them from the single and double awards.

All these different awards and different levels really are unnecessarily complex and confusing.
desigrl69
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
k i emailed them and told them that GCSE Science double award includes all three sciences and i told them i would fax the edexcel specification and a letter of clarification from the Head of Science department in my school so its all good thanks for all ur help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (866)
80.11%
Leave (215)
19.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed