using grant to pay fees? Watch

prettyblueeyes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm starting Uni this year and I'm eligible for the full maintenance grant of £2835, plus a university bursary of approximately £1000.
Fees are just over £3000 and I understand that I would have needed to take out a tuition fee loan to cover these?
I will be living at home for Uni and won't have any rent or bills to pay. I've got a part time job at the minute and will probably work more at Uni, so it's just books and 'pocket money' I'll need. Would I be able to use the maintenance grant and part of the bursary to pay for my tuition fees, so that after Uni, I won't have big student debts? Due to the tuition fee loans being paid straight to the University, would I have to put the maintenance grant and bursary in to a savings account for the three years, so that when I graduate, I can just use the money to pay back in a lump sum? If I need extra money to live on, then I'd be able to get a maintenance loan on top of that?

Is this possible, or has anyone done it? My friend and I are in the same situation and it would be nice to leave Uni with a small-as-possible student debt, and since neither of us will have big accomodation costs etc to spend the maintenance grant on, would this be a feasible way of doing things?
annie89
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
This is what I was doing until I quit uni. I'm a care leaver see so I got the full grants for everything. Quite a lot of people don't take out a loan for their tuition fees. As I remember it I just had to set up a direct debit when I actually got to uni.
prettyblueeyes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Sorry, I'm a bit confused! What did you set up the direct debit for? If I don't take out the tuition fee loan, don't I have to pay them up front?
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prettyblueeyes)
If I don't take out the tuition fee loan, don't I have to pay them up front?
I think it depends on the Uni. You can pay it all in one go or termly I think.
As for using the grants to cover the tuition fees - its a very common practice.
We had a financial advisor who canme into 6th form who pretty much told us that if we could afford to do that then we should.
Sadly, I'm not so lucky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1047)
79.02%
Leave (278)
20.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise