The Student Room Group

Why are so many concerts 16+ or 18+

Why are nearly all concerts 16+ or 18+. This applies especially for dj producers. When I found out Martin Garrix was coming to Belfast for tenants vital this year and belsonic last year I was so excited (I’m one of his biggest fans can literally name any song by hearing the first few seconds and even know enough about him to write a 3 page essay for a exam) until I realised it was 16+. I was so annoyed. Then I started looking and realised it’s not just his concerts. I’ve seen people such as snow patrol and rag and bone man have age restrictions for their shows. But why is this? Is it because of alcohol or are they worried younger people will ruin it for everyone else

Scroll to see replies

A lot of people at concerts are drunk or high. Or both. Sometimes fights break out. Sometimes people need to be removed by security. Last gig I went to some girl was removed after climbing up on stage and flashing her tits just three songs in.

Its not really an appropriate environment for minors.
Reply 2
So we don't have to watch our Ps and Qs around kids when we want to be getting smashed and doing walls of death.
Ok I understand it’s not a appropriate environment but I went to Taylor swift in Dublin for reputation and I got the bus back up. There was drunks on the bus and the stuff they were doing was worse than a lot of concerts and festivals. They were racist, they were running up and down grabbing people and taking off clothes on top of one of them peeing into a bottle with his d**k visisble to most of the passengers. There was kids of all ages on this bus
(edited 5 years ago)
Because concerts can sometimes not stay PG-13/12A
Original post by Studentboy783
Why are nearly all concerts 16+ or 18+. This applies especially for dj producers. When I found out Martin Garrix was coming to Belfast for tenants vital this year and belsonic last year I was so excited (I’m one of his biggest fans can literally name any song by hearing the first few seconds and even know enough about him to write a 3 page essay for a exam) until I realised it was 16+. I was so annoyed. Then I started looking and realised it’s not just his concerts. I’ve seen people such as snow patrol and rag and bone man have age restrictions for their shows. But why is this? Is it because of alcohol or are they worried younger people will ruin it for everyone else

Lmao imagine a concert full of people under 16 it would be trash
People want to drink and get high that wouldnt be possible if you had mommys and daddys waiting outside to pick their cute little son up
[QUOTE=DrugsAndLove
(edited 5 years ago)
[QUOTE=DrugsAndLove

What are you trying to say
Original post by DrugsAndLove &lt
What are you trying to say

Nothing my phone messed up
I imagine there may also be issues with insurance/duty of care.

If an adult gets injured and it's their own fault e.g. climb on stage then fall off, they have responsibility over their own actions and the consequences. Now imagine if a 15 year old got injured. Mummy and daddy would then sue the heck out of the venue.

Also the standing concerts can get quite jam packed. If a young teenage falls down, they could genuinely be trampled.
Can get violent ygm.
Some may depend on whether the venue has a licence for under 18s to attend gigs I think
Original post by CTLeafez
I imagine there may also be issues with insurance/duty of care.

If an adult gets injured and it's their own fault e.g. climb on stage then fall off, they have responsibility over their own actions and the consequences. Now imagine if a 15 year old got injured. Mummy and daddy would then sue the heck out of the venue.

Also the standing concerts can get quite jam packed. If a young teenage falls down, they could genuinely be trampled.

You do realise in a lot of concerts that are all ages they allow under 16s or under 18s into standing where they could be “trampled”.
lol ages ago billie eilish had a couple of concerts 18+ which was the strangest thing i've heard because the singer herself is only 16 so idk what the logic behind that is.

anyhow it's probably because it can get violent the TS concert I was at a couple of weeks ago before my 16th birthday involved lots of drunk angry people and it wasn't a pleasant scene... ironic considering it's Taylor Swift but fortunately i managed to avoid them. could've escalated though so there are safety reasons i imagine.
for those reading this consider that the kids will most likely successfully sneak in. So either way the kids are at the concert. I know of a festival near me that is 16+ and was full of 14 and 13 year olds as well as people older than 16
ive been to loads of over 16 concerts when i wasnt 16 and never got asked for id or anything, especially at things like martin garrix in belfast the likelihood of u being asked to prove you are 16 is very low. most of the people at those types of concerts in belfast like t vital and belsonic are around 16 or under
You do realise in a lot of concerts that are all ages they allow under 16s or under 18s into standing where they could be “trampled”.

Yes, but we're talking specifically about 16 and 18+ concerts. I would assume the crowds would be a tad more "lively" compared to your all ages Lazy Town Sing-A-Long concert.
Yes, but we're talking specifically about 16 and 18+ concerts. I would assume the crowds would be a tad more "lively" compared to your all ages Lazy Town Sing-A-Long concert.

I don’t mean a lazy town sing along. I’m talking bands such as 21 pilots. I could name way way way more but I’m only using my favourite here just wanted to mention that

I can't stop laughing - but it's true!
Original post by emilynxlan
I can't stop laughing - but it's true!

'Cooking by the book' is definitely a banger I would happily mosh pit to :biggrin:

Edit: In fact enjoy this collab between Lazy Town and Lil' Jon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5tVbVu9Mkg

Quick Reply

Latest