Is there a gender pay gap? Watch

I_Hate_School
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What are your personal opinions of the gender pay gap? Does it exist? Is it just a myth or is it a serious issue? Do you feel affected by it?

For me, I do not believe in the fact that women will get paid less than men but I am the only one who thinks this within my friends. What is your opinion? For and against.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
icequeenTM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A myth. It’s illegal to pay a man more than a woman and vice versa. The statistic that you tend to see doesn’t consider all factors e.g. education, hours worked etc. Plus if it was true wouldn’t businesses be hiring more women?
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An average difference in pay exists, but not due to sexist pay discrimination (which is also illegal). Men and women work different jobs on average, different hours, and so on. Women also tend to get pregnant and take significantly more time out of work.

Young men and women actually earn around the same on average (varying from one region to another). It's only after women reach their thirties and start having kids does the gap begin to appear. Their male partners actually start earning more to compensate. Therefore, even though they are earning less themselves, women still benefit from shared income.

And if women don't want to have kids and take time out of work, they don't have to. The wage gap between single men and single women (of almost any age) is very small. Ironically, the commonly young, childless feminist women who complain most about the wage gap and claim they are earning less aren't the demographic it actually applies to.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes and no - gender pay gap is a useless phrase because its so unclear and undefined when its used in the media.

Yes - there is plenty of evidence that on average men get paid more then women.
Yes - there is also some evidence that in some circumstances women get paid less then men for the same work
No - there is no evidence that this is discrimination based on gender alone. its far more likely to be based off personality differences and lifestyle decisions. A much more sound argument would be one that questions these, rather then questioning gender pay.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Men do get paid more than women, but it is not because of their gender.

Whether you try to isolate those actual causes and see if they need fixing, or insist that women be paid the same despite the (sometimes) legitimate reasons that women overall have a lower average pay depends on what sort of person you are.
Just my opinion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As others have said, yes it does exist but not for the reasons feminists claim.
Women for example between the ages of 18 and 30 never married and with no children living in metropolitan areas earn an average of 8% more than men in the same than demographic.
Funny enough you never seen the media talking about that.
Shockingly when men make the same career choices and life work balance choices that the average woman does then they earn less than the average man does too.
Here a well known award winning feminist explains the gap.
https://youtu.be/58arQIr882w

Btw did you notice the figures after the recent report and the gaps in some of the biggest employers that have spent years banging on about the "gender wage gap"

NUT 16%
USDAW 15.8%
The Guardian 12%
The BBC 9%
GMB 32%

Perhaps it explains why everyone seems to have gone quiet on this . The stats didn't fit their agenda.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It does exist but i have changed my views on this a little. Yes, men do earn more but following a discussion with a mate and my own experience, there are a great number of family men feeling the pressure to hold down miserable high paying jobs unable to move because the woman of the family can not earn suffient money to ease the burden. In other words, the gender pay gap sucks for all.
Satori Tendō
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
its like saying in America, more black people die annually than white people. This gap is purely down to race and the country being super racist to them still.
Doesn't that sound wrong af? its obviously down to the fact that black people live in dangerous states, they have gang wars, lack of education, broken families etc... there are many many things that collectively cause it.
Similarly, the pay gap between men and women isn't because of gender. Just like everyone else said, that would be illegal to pay less for the same job. Women work part time, some don't work at all, some have babies and constantly leave work for maternity stopping them from taking opportunities to gain experience and get promotions etc...
If you add all of this together. That's where the gap comes from
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.52%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.24%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.42%

Watched Threads