Scared about death Watch

Quizlit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So ages ago, when I was 9 or 10 I started having sort of panic attacks about dying, very randomly but usually just before I went to sleep at night. They weren’t very frequent but when they happened I’d have to find my mum or someone lol to try and calm me down cos I’d get so freaked out. Now I’m 16 and when something triggers a panic about death I can’t stop thinking about it. I’ve come to the realisation that it’s stupid to worry about dying because it’s an unstoppable force and it’s inevitable etc but I just absolutely hate the idea of no longer existing. It’s so ******* weird. And lonely.
Has anyone else had this kind of experience? How do you cope with the panic?
I’ve asked some of my friends about this and a few of them agree with me that it’s scary but a lot of them laugh it off.
Pls let me know if you feel the same way or have any advice, would make me feel much better.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you don't worry about what happened before you were born do you ? why should you worry about what happens after the Big D ?
ma_long
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Human beings don't like change, routine is addictive and provides a certain amount of comfort and security. Death is change. Hence you don't like death. I would not worry though, it will all happen so quick, you won't even realise. Like how you go to sleep and don't even realise. The biggest crime in society is to waste time, as it is the most valuable resource you have. Use it wisely and enjoy the time with the ones who you love most.
Quizlit
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
you don't worry about what happened before you were born do you ? why should you worry about what happens after the Big D ?
Haha Big D I like the euphemism
I get what ur saying, just that I don’t want to leave the world ygm? Idk it’s just so weird to think of life ending
Quizlit
Rep:
?
(Original post by ma_long)
Human beings don't like change, routine is addictive and provides a certain amount of comfort and security. Death is change. Hence you don't like death. I would not worry though, it will all happen so quick, you won't even realise. Like how you go to sleep and don't even realise. The biggest crime in society is to waste time, as it is the most valuable resource you have. Use it wisely and enjoy the time with the ones who you love most.
I totally agree, and good advice
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Death is the enemy.
The first enemy, and the last.
The enemy always wins,
But we still need to fight it.
InnocentJackski
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Everyday passes we get older, a day closer to death. Death is death, and it could happen in any situations, at the end we all die, therefore make the most of your life. You are lucky as you dont know when your going to die, but somepoeple have been giving only a limted time to live. DOnt be afraid of death, but be afraid of God as he gives life and death.
Marshmello's Dad
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Quizlit)
So ages ago, when I was 9 or 10 I started having sort of panic attacks about dying, very randomly but usually just before I went to sleep at night. They weren’t very frequent but when they happened I’d have to find my mum or someone lol to try and calm me down cos I’d get so freaked out. Now I’m 16 and when something triggers a panic about death I can’t stop thinking about it. I’ve come to the realisation that it’s stupid to worry about dying because it’s an unstoppable force and it’s inevitable etc but I just absolutely hate the idea of no longer existing. It’s so ******* weird. And lonely.
I’ve asked some of my friends about this and a few of them agree with me that it’s scary but a lot of them laugh it off.
Pls let me know if you feel the same way or have any advice, would make me feel much better.
Same, I was terrified of dying when I was 8-10 after I watched a very very graphic video about what happens after you die; No kid should've seen that video. Every night as I tried to sleep, the video would pop into my mind and make me cry until fell asleep of tiredness.. Luckily it stopped happened after about a year.

It's still scary now, what helps me is that it's not just me. It happens to everyone, we have no choice. It's just something that happens. In the end no one and nothing will ever matter to anyone. *I am hoping by the time i'm old we have technology to put my brain onto some computer as an after life though*
Quizlit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cxm)
Same, I was terrified of dying when I was 8-10 after I watched a very very graphic video about what happens after you die; No kid should've seen that video. Every night as I tried to sleep, the video would pop into my mind and make me cry until fell asleep of tiredness.. Luckily it stopped happened after about a year.

It's still scary now, what helps me is that it's not just me. It happens to everyone, we have no choice. It's just something that happens. In the end no one and nothing will ever matter to anyone. *I am hoping by the time i'm old we have technology to put my brain onto some computer as an after life though*
Yeah, same I really hope some scientist invents something that makes ppl live a rly long time or soemthing that can bring us back from the dead.
My biology teacher was telling us about some girl who had cancer and asked her parents to freeze her brain when she died so that in the future she might be able to come back to life if there were technological advances. Pretty cool but also a bit creepy
anonymous69gcse
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i watched a lot of graphic and emotional videos and its actually made me not fear about death that much.
Marshmello's Dad
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, same I really hope some scientist invents something that makes ppl live a rly long time or soemthing that can bring us back from the dead.
My biology teacher was telling us about some girl who had cancer and asked her parents to freeze her brain when she died so that in the future she might be able to come back to life if there were technological advances. Pretty cool but also a bit creepy
This video should help you feel insignificant to where you couldn't care less whether you die today or tomorrow or if the planet just explodes without warning... or the complete opposite :no:
RainbowDiva
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
That's actually such a cool way of thinking about it lol
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(...)
Had exaclty the same when I turned to age 7 and 8. And like you I came to realize that it is inevitable and the life per se too precious to waste thoughts about the death every day. And one day in adult ages, I even realized that the death can be a salvation for deathly ill people.
STw67
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Embrace it, you could be out of this sick world at any time. It should give you motivation to live everyday as it's the last. How do you not know that, that being dead or whatever happens after death is not better than life ?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Been here, sadly still here a little bit

I used to be scared of death just because i couldn't imagine life without my parents. Then I got older and once I reached my 20's (i'm 22) it kind of spiralled out as I realised I was getting older. It was terrifying to me, I couldn't see a reason to live if I was just going to die, I'd cry every hour, it really got to me.

Everyone fears death, but its whenever you think about it and worry about it to the EXTENT its taking over your life. Considering how long you've been like this, its may not go away on its own. I think the term for it is thantophobia, and many people have it, I think Rita Ora has/had therapy for it, its why JK Rowling talks so much about death in HP.

One thing to consider is if you are anxious by nature? I get anxious about a lot of things, exams, people, so its not surprising I have panic attacks about death as well. In some ways I think if you cure 'worrying' it cures the worry of death. It kind of explains how the other 99% are able to function, its because we're not seeing the world quite right as we blow our worries out of proportion.

I did a therapy course called ACT, a bit like CBT, and that did help. Is there a school therapist? It might be worth seeing if you can get an appointment.
Failing that you might want to look into a think called 'mindfullness' which there are online courses for. A book called 'The happiness trap' helped me learn to deal with bad thoughts and how to deal when I felt down. I've considered medication but I'm not quite there yet.

Sadly I can't tell you things like 'everyone has to do it', 'why waste time worrying about it when it cant be stopped' because I know it doesn't stop the anxiety. I still get upset occasionally, still have too many philosophical questions in my head, but i'm now able to see good things again.

Good luck xx
Unknown-99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Look on the bright side. Death can't be any worse than this pi**ing world we live in surely?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I used to get the same tbh - what helped me was simply when I realised loads of people go through the same thing. The way I look at it now is that there’s nothing we can do about it - so we might as well make the most of the time we have - like just go and have the time of your life, take every opportunity and have no regrets x
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
Death is the enemy.
The first enemy, and the last.
The enemy always wins,
But we still need to fight it.
Death is like a black shadow behind your back:
always on your side to catch you one day up.
It is inevitable to run away
the black shadow is waiting for you at the finish line.
But don't scare!
Enjoy your life from the start till the finish.
And take care for it, it is running so fast.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.12%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (390)
56.93%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.01%

Watched Threads