How to take care of curly hair

Watch
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Any tips?
username4035544
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
straighten it
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
Nope.
Rachall
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Here are some random tips I can think of from my 18 years of dealing with curly hair:

1. Don't get it chemically straightened. I did this over the summer, and now it's a weird mix between curly and straight and just looks plain wacky. I know this is a weird tip to put first, but please, take my advice.

2. Let it air-dry. Or, if you absolutely have to blow-dry it if you are in a rush, buy a diffuser. It will really help avoid the dreaded frizziness.

3. Make sure your conditioner isn't too heavy. If it is, it can weigh down your curls.

4. Shower about every other day. Showering every day can really dry out curly hair.

5. Don't brush it. Use a comb.

6. Buy a good hair mousse. Really good for fly-aways. Hopefully some of those helped
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
(Original post by Rachall)
Here are some random tips I can think of from my 18 years of dealing with curly hair:

1. Don't get it chemically straightened. I did this over the summer, and now it's a weird mix between curly and straight and just looks plain wacky. I know this is a weird tip to put first, but please, take my advice.

2. Let it air-dry. Or, if you absolutely have to blow-dry it if you are in a rush, buy a diffuser. It will really help avoid the dreaded frizziness.

3. Make sure your conditioner isn't too heavy. If it is, it can weigh down your curls.

4. Shower about every other day. Showering every day can really dry out curly hair.

5. Don't brush it. Use a comb.

6. Buy a good hair mousse. Really good for fly-aways. Hopefully some of those helped
Thank You
AmeliaLost
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheAlchemistress)
Any tips?
www.britishcurlies.co.uk and www.naturallycurly.com are goldmines. I use OGX shampoo and conditioners, and a few different styling products depending on how controlled I want the curl (e.g. plain coconut oil for idc days, and tigi catwalk curls for high-control days), but it depends on what curl-type you are (I'm 3b/3c so if you're a 2c what I use might not work for you etc)

Spoiler:
Show

Curl types:

TheAlchemistress
Rep:
(Original post by AmeliaLost)
www.britishcurlies.co.uk and www.naturallycurly.com are goldmines. I use OGX shampoo and conditioners, and a few different styling products depending on how controlled I want the curl (e.g. plain coconut oil for idc days, and tigi catwalk curls for high-control days), but it depends on what curl-type you are (I'm 3b/3c so if you're a 2c what I use might not work for you etc)

Spoiler:
Show

Curl types:

My curls are like the YouTuber CurlyPenny.
Zaspo
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Any tips?
Go bold.
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
(Original post by Zaspo)
Go bold.
Nope!
AmeliaLost
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
My curls are like the YouTuber CurlyPenny.
Yeah so you're like, 2c/3a ish ig. The OGX stuff is good, and generic coconut oil/olive oil. Most of the styling stuff I use will be too heavy for you though

ed: oh, Trevor Sorbie Curls & Waves cream is great and pretty light, that might be good to try if you haven't already. And just moisturise the heck out of your hair, that's really the key thing! I use treatments at least once a week, and leave in conditioner every day (bumble and bumble is champ for that)
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
Yeah so you're like, 2c/3a ish ig. The OGX stuff is good, and generic coconut oil/olive oil. Most of the styling stuff I use will be too heavy for you though
Do you think I should use custard afterwards on my hair? I feel as if it could be too heavy. Plus we don't get DevaCurls in the UK so I would have to stick to OGX.
Boss_Rhythm
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Straighten it before you go bald
AmeliaLost
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Do you think I should use custard afterwards on my hair? I feel as if it could be too heavy. Plus we don't get DevaCurls in the UK so I would have to stick to OGX.
Noo I wouldn't recommend it for your hair. Just a leave in conditioner is probably fine. Also check edit above ^^
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
Noo I wouldn't recommend it for your hair. Just a leave in conditioner is probably fine. Also check edit above ^^
Okay, thank you.
TheAlchemistress
Rep:

ed: oh, Trevor Sorbie Curls & Waves cream is great and pretty light, that might be good to try if you haven't already. And just moisturise the heck out of your hair, that's really the key thing! I use treatments at least once a week, and leave in conditioner every day (bumble and bumble is champ for that)
Thank you again.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Why would you put custard in your hair?!
AmeliaLost
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zaspo)
Go bold.
I don't think this is helping
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
(Original post by black tea)
Why would you put custard in your hair?!
It's hair custard so it's like a heavy gel or cream used to moisturize your hair.
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
(Original post by thatinsaneclown)
straighten it
(Original post by Zaspo)
Go bold.
(Original post by Boss_Rhythm)
Straighten it before you go bald
You guys!!!
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I don't think this is helping
Telling someone to go bold is quite inspirational. Telling them to go bald, however...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (65)
12.48%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (135)
25.91%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.25%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (251)
48.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.45%

Watched Threads