A*my
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Mental block.

Do ionisation energies have any effect on melting and boiling points? Or on reactivity?

Is it only forces eg. London forces, hydrogen bonding that effect mp/bp.

And in what type of questions do you talk about electron shielding, proton number etc? Getting a bit muddled
Princess123x
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Give more details i might be able to help
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ionisation energies do affect reactivity. For example, the group 1 elements become more reactive as the group is descended. This is because the ionisation energy of each successive element decreases, so the outer electrons can be removed with less energy, making them more reactive.

Melting/boiling points aren't affected by ionisation energies however, as these are only affected by the type and strength of bonding/forces between atoms and molecules.

You talk about electron shielding and proton number in questions where it asks about the trend in ionisation energies, or the trend in reactivities. Going down a group, there's more shells and so more shielding, meaning there's less attraction between the nucleus and the outer electrons, so they can be lost more readily (so lower ionisation energy/greater reactivity with each successive element). Going across a period, there's the same amount of shells and so similar shielding, but there's a greater number of protons, so the greater nuclear charge increases the attraction between the nucleus and the outer electrons (so greater ionisation energy/less reactivity with each successive element).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads