Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How do enzymes control metabolism?

leave your answer below ty x
*ash
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Enzymes are required for many metablic reactions to take place because the cellular environments are often not ideal for the reactions to occur spontaneously. Metabolism in an organism involves many different types of reactions so require many different types of enzymes which facilitate specific reactions (enzymes are very specific). These enzymes can be activated and inhibited by specific molecules, but this is also specific to the enzyme and the reaction that specific enzyme controls.

There is no simple answer to your question but I hope this helps.
Ilikerevising
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by *ash)
Enzymes are required for many metablic reactions to take place because the cellular environments are often not ideal for the reactions to occur spontaneously. Metabolism in an organism involves many different types of reactions so require many different types of enzymes which facilitate specific reactions (enzymes are very specific). These enzymes can be activated and inhibited by specific molecules, but this is also specific to the enzyme and the reaction that specific enzyme controls.

There is no simple answer to your question but I hope this helps.
thank you so much

i have one last question

-plan an experiment to investigate how different catalysts affects the rate of a reaction.

this is about catalysts and enzymes...
*ash
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is worth noting that enzymes are biological catalysts. The first reaction that springs to mind when thinking of school experiments is the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide to give water and oxygen. In the body, this reaction is catalysed by the enzyme 'catalase'.

In order to investigate your experimental question, you would need to use many other catalysts for this reaction as well and compare the different rates at which the breakdown od hydrogen peroxide takes place in the presence of the different catalysts.

I have found a useful paper on this:
http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/r...id=CMP00002415

The paper in the url is an experiment you could use to answer your question. If you look under the 'chemicals' section, there is a list of chemicals which catalyse the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide other than catalase (note: the 'liver' and 'potato' both contain catalase which acts as the catalyst).

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (8)
8.25%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (10)
10.31%
No, but maybe I will look into it (24)
24.74%
No and I wouldn't consider it (55)
56.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise