i cant tell the difference between love and infatuation Watch

superbowser2 #1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
title says it all can anyone give me any advice?
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it's unique for everyone. do you need to give it a name? try just enjoying what you've got until you figure it out for yourself.

I think there's such a fine line and it's such a personal thing that all the replies you get on here will probably confuse you more than you are now.
Tera
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Infatuation is all about how YOU feel and how happy they make you. Love is when your feelings and wants are secondary and seeing them happy is most important of all. There's literally nothing you wouldn't do to make it happen.
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tera)
Infatuation is all about how YOU feel and how happy they make you. Love is when your feelings and wants are secondary and seeing them happy is most important of all. There's literally nothing you wouldn't do to make it happen.
When i'm infatuated with someone I like to do things for them, to make them feel good because it makes me feel good. I'd do whatever they wanted me to do in any situation.

I'm in love with my boyfriend and while I like to make him happy the relationship is about compromise. if we go and see a film, for example, I won't just let him see what he wants if i really don't want to see it. I still make him do washing up occasionally, even though doing it all myself would make him happy.

this is what i mean, it's very very difficult to describe love and infatuation. especially since they vary person to person.
Rutter knows best!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
who does. each are both equally relative.
superbowser2
hmm yeah i understand what you guys mean by it being just a fine line between the two. thanks for your input. im sorta confused more about it but i do sorta have more of an idea what they are if you all know what i mean
Tera
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)
When i'm infatuated with someone I like to do things for them, to make them feel good because it makes me feel good. I'd do whatever they wanted me to do in any situation.

I'm in love with my boyfriend and while I like to make him happy the relationship is about compromise. if we go and see a film, for example, I won't just let him see what he wants if i really don't want to see it. I still make him do washing up occasionally, even though doing it all myself would make him happy.

this is what i mean, it's very very difficult to describe love and infatuation. especially since they vary person to person.
Well, that's all very lovely but I'm not talking about washing up and film seeing...

I'm talking about feelings and sacrifice. What you call compromise, I call sacrifice on both parts... to make the other person happy.
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tera)
Well, that's all very lovely but I'm not talking about washing up and film seeing...

I'm talking about feelings and sacrifice. What you call compromise, I call sacrifice on both parts... to make the other person happy.
they were just examples. it sounded like you were talking about everything so that would include washing up and film seeing.

sacrifice on both parts = compromise. if you only had the aim of making the other person happy then you'd never want compromise, you'd give on everything.

I just don't think you can describe what these things are which is why I was saying i disagree with you, to show that definitions aren't universal.
Melana
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think there's a difference in terms of what you want to happen...if it's infatuation i think it tends to be that you want attention from them, and short-term needs, but if it's love, it has more to do with wanting to be with them for the foreseeable future. That plus wanting things for them instead of you.
Tera
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)
they were just examples. it sounded like you were talking about everything so that would include washing up and film seeing.

sacrifice on both parts = compromise. if you only had the aim of making the other person happy then you'd never want compromise, you'd give on everything.

I just don't think you can describe what these things are which is why I was saying i disagree with you, to show that definitions aren't universal.
I didn't say they were but I think that this is a fundamental difference, unless you're generally spineless.
artorscience?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Infatuation makes you feel unhappy and alone.
Love makes you understand that there is always someone there, and that you have to make them feel the same.
suek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nothing says, of course, that you don't end up infatuated with the one you love or indeed come to love
superbowser2
thanks a lot guys ive finally figured it out in my current situation thank you so much
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
I feel as though I'm in love but I'm sure it's infactuation... it sucks.
EarlHickey
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Basically it seems infatuation is about how you feel from being around the other person, even if you are like their slave in many ways it makes you happy. I.e making them happy makes you happy.

Love is when you kinda feel incomplete without them and want to spend your life with them and care about the future, and not how you feel in that moment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (75)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (156)
40.41%
Nope, not that interesting (155)
40.16%

Watched Threads