Corey Fretwell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Online says it's lossy, online also says it's lossless! Which is it?
LonelyStarr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Generally is Lossy but there are exceptions that it has Lossless features but it is not supported by most products.
Faction Paradox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Corey Fretwell)
Online says it's lossy, online also says it's lossless! Which is it?
In context of exams (or at least all the ones I've taken) you can think of it as a lossy compression file format.

However this isn't strictly true, JPEG is not actually a file format, but rather a compression method which is stored using EXIF or JFIF file formats (usually, there are other ones but they aren't often used). The compression method is mainly defined for lossy compression, but the standard it is defined by does allow for lossless compression, however as far a I know, it is hardly used and is often not supported by software.

So if you want to know this information for exams read only my first paragraph, if you want to know for fun or more technical reason read my second paragraph
Corey Fretwell
Rep:
?
(Original post by LonelyStarr)
Generally is Lossy but there are exceptions that it has Lossless features but it is not supported by most products.
Okay thanks!
Corey Fretwell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Faction Paradox)
In context of exams (or at least all the ones I've taken) you can think of it as a lossy compression file format.

However this isn't strictly true, JPEG is not actually a file format, but rather a compression method which is stored using EXIF or JFIF file formats (usually, there are other ones but they aren't often used). The compression method is mainly defined for lossy compression, but the standard it is defined by does allow for lossless compression, however as far a I know, it is hardly used and is often not supported by software.

So if you want to know this information for exams read only my first paragraph, if you want to know for fun or more technical reason read my second paragraph
Ah I see, interesting 🤔
Faction Paradox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Corey Fretwell)
Ah I see, interesting 🤔
The way JPEG compression works is something that it really quite interesting and not what you'd necessarily expect. It's something that you might find quite interesting to look into at some point
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.04%
I'm not sure (8)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (134)
45.73%

Watched Threads