The Student Room Group

I can't bring myself to revise; but it's not what you think

It's getting late and I need genuine advice and help. I am motivated and I actually enjoy studying, but I hate my life right now. It's a long story, but y'all only need to know that I'm lonely all the time due to having no close friends, and I have arguments with my family constantly. So I find myself needing to escape, and the way I do that is through music, TV, video games, books etc. I've told myself that it's less than 4 weeks and then it's over, and if I don't revise and don't get into my top uni I'll regret it for a long time, but I can't do it. I've even told myself that if I get the grades my life will get better as I'll be away from my family at a uni I love, but nothing's working.
I've looked up tips but they're all things I already know. And tbh I think I can still go to a good enough uni if I don't revise hardcore, but I know my family all expect a lot from me and I can't stand to let them down again.
Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

What exams is this?
Do not feel no one cares about you.

I enjoy studying too, weird to some!

It literally is 4 weeks, proably one of the most important 4 weeks of your lives and then you will be stuck. Whatever happens during these weeks, what you do and don't do decides which path you take.

If you don't get the grades you want you prolong your (hopeful) ability to be happier at university.

What I would do is set a few hours at the end of the day to relax, when you know people won't bother you to recover and feel better from studying during the day-it's really important to get the balance ie working more than you relax.

If you want to message me I'd be more than happy to have a chat :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ProRoadman
What exams is this?

A-levels; if it were my GCSEs I really wouldn't be sweating it lmao
Reply 4
I feel similar to you, and this might be a stupid method but pretending to teach book/movie/tv characters what I need to learn works for me. Teaching others is supposed to be the best way to revise anyway

Hope you figure it out!
Reply 5
Original post by ohdearstudying
Do not feel no one cares about you.

I enjoy studying too, weird to some!

It literally is 4 weeks, proably one of the most important 4 weeks of your lives and then you will be stuck. Whatever happens during these weeks, what you do and don't do decides which path you take.

If you don't get the grades you want you prolong your (hopeful) ability to be happier at university.

What I would do is set a few hours at the end of the day to relax, when you know people won't bother you to recover and feel better from studying during the day-it's really important to get the balance ie working more than you relax.

If you want to message me I'd be more than happy to have a chat :smile:

That's the thing, I know it's just 4 weeks and then 3 months of pure bliss and freedom till uni starts. Not to mention all my exam boards recently changed their exam styles and some content so there are only like 2 past papers -,- thank you though :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by pottah
I feel similar to you, and this might be a stupid method but pretending to teach book/movie/tv characters what I need to learn works for me. Teaching others is supposed to be the best way to revise anyway

Hope you figure it out!

Yeah, I've read and know that teaching is the best way to learn; that's actually an interesting idea... I think I may test it out. Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
That's the thing, I know it's just 4 weeks and then 3 months of pure bliss and freedom till uni starts. Not to mention all my exam boards recently changed their exam styles and some content so there are only like 2 past papers -,- thank you though :smile:

Whats ur first exam? And just remember that everything hinges on the grades. Motivation is key to revising.
Reply 8
Original post by ProRoadman
Whats ur first exam? And just remember that everything hinges on the grades. Motivation is key to revising.

Physics AQA. Then the day after is Chemistry OCR A and the others are over the next two weeks. And yes, I know everything hinges on my grades, that's why, for the first time in my life, I am stressingggggg

I totally understand, I'm a GCSE student and we have 1 specimen paper. I would definitely just practice those and look at the mark scheme of how to respond and please the mark scheme.

You can definitely do it, I genuinely believe in you!
Reply 10
Yeah, I've read and know that teaching is the best way to learn; that's actually an interesting idea... I think I may test it out. Thank you!

Np, hope you find what works!
Physics AQA. Then the day after is Chemistry OCR A and the others are over the next two weeks. And yes, I know everything hinges on my grades, that's why, for the first time in my life, I am stressingggggg

If u need someone to help u revise, u can PM me. Think about how being positive helps with having the right mindset.
Reply 12
whatever you're going through Jesus Christ can help the pain
Original post by ohdearstudying
I totally understand, I'm a GCSE student and we have 1 specimen paper. I would definitely just practice those and look at the mark scheme of how to respond and please the mark scheme.

You can definitely do it, I genuinely believe in you!

Thank you so much! Good luck with your GCSEs, although you don't seem like you'll need it! :smile:
I just tell myself after I finish a past paper that I can only improve :smile:
It's getting late and I need genuine advice and help. I am motivated and I actually enjoy studying, but I hate my life right now. It's a long story, but y'all only need to know that I'm lonely all the time due to having no close friends, and I have arguments with my family constantly. So I find myself needing to escape, and the way I do that is through music, TV, video games, books etc. I've told myself that it's less than 4 weeks and then it's over, and if I don't revise and don't get into my top uni I'll regret it for a long time, but I can't do it. I've even told myself that if I get the grades my life will get better as I'll be away from my family at a uni I love, but nothing's working.
I've looked up tips but they're all things I already know. And tbh I think I can still go to a good enough uni if I don't revise hardcore, but I know my family all expect a lot from me and I can't stand to let them down again.
Thanks in advance.

Oh my God same!!! I’m doing A levels in maths psychology and English lit and cant get myself to revise!!!!
How is this ‘not what you think’? I’m sorry but your intro message is very confusing. You outlined your issues as: hating your life. You then proceed to say that you deal with it through leisurely activities. This would suggest that you lack motivation to revise due to preferring to do fun things to distract yourself from problems- however, you instead insist that you ENJOY STUDYING.

Surely the answer is to just study? I don’t understand the relevance of all the other points you brought up like personal issues and family issues (which are contradictory in themselves by the way you both want to get away from them but also to appease them?)

This probably came across as harsh but I feel like solving your problem requires knowing what the problem is, as opposed to a bunch of random thoughts.
Original post by Lechatn0ir
How is this ‘not what you think’? I’m sorry but your intro message is very confusing. You outlined your issues as: hating your life. You then proceed to say that you deal with it through leisurely activities. This would suggest that you lack motivation to revise due to preferring to do fun things to distract yourself from problems- however, you instead insist that you ENJOY STUDYING.

Surely the answer is to just study? I don’t understand the relevance of all the other points you brought up like personal issues and family issues (which are contradictory in themselves by the way you both want to get away from them but also to appease them?)

This probably came across as harsh but I feel like solving your problem requires knowing what the problem is, as opposed to a bunch of random thoughts.

It's okay, I get that it's confusing. (I like your username btw, I am loving the new season).
When I say how I deal with my life I didn't mean by doing leisurely activities, I mean I escape it via fiction; it's how I've always done it. I genuinely do enjoy studying and learning, it's just now I guess I end up facing the reality of A-levels and uni, and it's just a never ending cycle. I don't mean this is a mean sense, but if you haven't gone through a similar thing with family then you can't understand (and tbh I'd rather you didn't understand, considering). I want to get away from them but I don't like when anyone has expectations of me, no matter who they are, perhaps because of my own pride getting wrecked when I mess up.
It is hard to understand, and I get some people do just need to hear the 'blunt truth', but I'm just needing advice. Thank you, though :smile:
Original post by ks234r
Oh my God same!!! I’m doing A levels in maths psychology and English lit and cant get myself to revise!!!!

Good luck to all of us aha
I definitely feel your pain. I'm sorry to hear it's been so hard to connect with your family and friends, but it's a stage that many have to go through before emerging alive on the other side... and escapism is a very handy tool. I grew up in Canada but went to college in the States, mostly to be further away from my family. It felt good for awhile, but in all honesty, your family is with you for life, and at some point you will have to learn to communicate better with them and love them. I still live in the States, married, and appreciate my family all the more because of the distance, now that I've learned how important they are to me.

It sounds like it's possible your family is putting unhealthy pressure on you to get good grades, but know that you're not accountable to them. I went through that mistake as well. Just do the best you know you can and be accountable to yourself and your ambitions, and if you "fail" in some way, there will be plenty of more opportunities. Sooner or later, you're going to need support back in your life. Do you have any old friends you can reconnect with? Any places where you can put yourself out there to start making new friends, like community events? Don't go through this alone, and always be hopeful about the future.
Original post by canadaman815
I definitely feel your pain. I'm sorry to hear it's been so hard to connect with your family and friends, but it's a stage that many have to go through before emerging alive on the other side... and escapism is a very handy tool. I grew up in Canada but went to college in the States, mostly to be further away from my family. It felt good for awhile, but in all honesty, your family is with you for life, and at some point you will have to learn to communicate better with them and love them. I still live in the States, married, and appreciate my family all the more because of the distance, now that I've learned how important they are to me.

It sounds like it's possible your family is putting unhealthy pressure on you to get good grades, but know that you're not accountable to them. I went through that mistake as well. Just do the best you know you can and be accountable to yourself and your ambitions, and if you "fail" in some way, there will be plenty of more opportunities. Sooner or later, you're going to need support back in your life. Do you have any old friends you can reconnect with? Any places where you can put yourself out there to start making new friends, like community events? Don't go through this alone, and always be hopeful about the future.

Thank you for this! I trust myself to deal with the hand I've been dealt, and no matter my grades I know I'll make the most out of my situation; it's just everybody thinks without a doubt that I'll get good grades, perhaps because I don't complain about my struggles out loud and just push on. I'm waiting 'til uni to put myself out there as I currently live in the middle of nowhere and we can't afford petrol often. And yeah, I figured when I move out I'll probably get on more with my family aha. Thank you for the reminder :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending