The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Actuarial Science

Would doing 3 Alevels (Maths, Further Maths and Economics) put me at a disadvantage?

I currently do those 3 but also religious studies but I feel like RS won’t contribute to my offer but rather just take time from revision.

LSE says they may accept Further Maths as a 3rd but against other applicants, would this hurt my chances?

I’m also applying to Manchester, Warwick, York and Southampton.

Any advice would be useful

Scroll to see replies

No, it should not disadvantage you, I took Further Maths, Maths, Physics at A2 and Biology at AS.
I had no problems being accepted at LSE and I graduate in July.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by JamjamjamT
No, it should not disadvantage you, I took Further Maths, Maths, Physics at A2 and Biology at AS.
I had no problems being accepted at LSE and I graduate in July.

Sorry, I meant to say , If I only carry on the 3 next year would I be at a disadvantage?
Original post by Leks
Sorry, I meant to say , If I only carry on the 3 next year would I be at a disadvantage?

No, I only took 3 at A2 so you will be fine.
When I went to LSE they said they would prefer if you're doing 3 a levels to not have maths and further maths as they wanna see a mix-up. So in terms of chances it might lower your chances? I think it was because they feel maths and further maths counts as 1 a level to them.

EDIT by Community Assistant

This is the case for the BSc Economics course, but the BSc Actuarial Science course is happy to consider applications from students with 3 A levels one of which is Further Maths.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by pereira325
When I went to LSE they said they would prefer if you're doing 3 a levels to not have maths and further maths as they wanna see a mix-up. So in terms of chances it might lower your chances? I think it was because they feel maths and further maths counts as 1 a level to them.

Thank You, my school doesn’t offer AS anymore so it would be almost a wasted year but I think doing RS wouldn’t make my application any more competitive. Any opinions on this?
Original post by Leks
Thank You, my school doesn’t offer AS anymore so it would be almost a wasted year but I think doing RS wouldn’t make my application any more competitive. Any opinions on this?

I did maths, economics and government and politics A levels. So politics is a possible third subject if you think you might enjoy that? I didn't get an offer from LSE tho (I applied).
I think RS is a bit random but yeah it's something different so actually it would probably stand out for your application. The main subject they're looking for is maths anyway I think so the other two don't matter hugely although ofc gradeswise your offer will be for 3 grades.
Reply 7
So in your opinion would Mathematics, Further Maths and Economics be enough or would RS make it better ?
I did maths, economics and government and politics A levels. So politics is a possible third subject if you think you might enjoy that? I didn't get an offer from LSE tho (I applied).
I think RS is a bit random but yeah it's something different so actually it would probably stand out for your application. The main subject they're looking for is maths anyway I think so the other two don't matter hugely although ofc gradeswise your offer will be for 3 grades.

I'm confused - in your first post you say you went to LSE and then in the post I quote above you say that you didn't get an offer??
Original post by Leks
So in your opinion would Mathematics, Further Maths and Economics be enough or would RS make it better ?

In my opinion, having done very similar to you and attended LSE, I would say that your three choices would be enough.
Original post by Leks

From the LSE Actuarial Science page - it is clear that Further Maths is acceptable as one of three subjects for this course (whereas it isn't for economics). If you think taking RS as well is going to reduce your chances of top grades in the other 3, then I wouldn't take it.

"We consider the combination of subjects you have taken, as well as the individual scores. We believe a broad mix of traditional academic subjects to be the best preparation for studying at LSE and expect applicants to have at least two full A levels or equivalent in these subjects.
For the BSc Actuarial Science, we are looking for outstanding mathematicians. Mathematics at A level or equivalent is required, and Further Mathematics is highly desirable. We are happy to consider applicants who have taken Mathematics, Further Mathematics and one other subject at A level for this programme."

That is the case for economics, but not for actuarial science.
Original post by JamjamjamT
I'm confused - in your first post you say you went to LSE and then in the post I quote above you say that you didn't get an offer??

When I went to LSE on an open day visit.
When I went to LSE on an open day visit.

Ahh I get it now.:biggrin:
I take your subjects and LSE don’t like the combo for Economics but will accept it for Actuarial Science.
Don’t bother with an extra AS, maybe do an EPQ if it’s offered to you?
Also take a look at City University, Liverpool& Kent if you aren’t already set on your 5 options
Good luck :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by HomeworkHater
I take your subjects and LSE don’t like the combo for Economics but will accept it for Actuarial Science.
Don’t bother with an extra AS, maybe do an EPQ if it’s offered to you?
Also take a look at City University, Liverpool& Kent if you aren’t already set on your 5 options
Good luck :smile:

Are they better than Manchester for actuarial science?
Original post by Leks

Honestly I have no idea
The internet doesn’t have league tables for it, they always refer to maths.
Manchester is a great place & uni
But don’t forget to look at expenses, distance from home (depends on how frequently you’ll go back), whether you’ll be happy and like the place, the university’s support system and department and the accommodation.
I got an offer for actuarial science at LSE with maths, further maths and biology so no it shouldn't hurt your chances :smile:
Original post by Leks

If you look at the big picture, you will need a summer internship at one of the Actuarial firms and the best place to get one is London so it does make sense to go to a London uni. Whilst there, you network and get the 2nd year Summer Internship that you will hopefully convert into a Graduate role the following year.
I am not saying that non London Uni goers don't get internships, because they clearly do but they have to find accommodation in London for those summer weeks and probably end up moving to London anyway when they graduate.
I left my home town to move to London and go to LSE. I got a summer internship and now have a Graduate Actuary place lined up once I graduate in July. I now live in London and am fully settled there and I am glad that I did it this way and not have to graduate, get a job and move to London all in the same small space of time.
I am also aware that there Actuarial jobs in other cities across the UK but the main offices of pretty much all of the firms are here in London.
Reply 19
Original post by SplendidHoney
I got an offer for actuarial science at LSE with maths, further maths and biology so no it shouldn't hurt your chances :smile:

Did you end up going LSE ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending