Membrane Permeability + Transport Proteins

Watch this thread
Gejo992
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I'm stuck with what membrane permeability is and how the presence of transport proteins affects it. Could anyone explain please??

So with something like ions, I know that membranes are essentially impermeable to them, but if a membrane has channel proteins and/or carrier proteins for a specific ion eg: Na+ does it become permeable to the ion or is it still considered as impermeable?
Tris Foster
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I think it makes the membrane permeable to them because if it was still impermeable to the ions, for example, they wouldn't be allowed to get through. So yes, the channel protein do make it permeable
gladheateher
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gejo992)
Hi, I'm stuck with what membrane permeability is and how the presence of transport proteins affects it. Could anyone explain please??

So with something like ions, I know that membranes are essentially impermeable to them, but if a membrane has channel proteins and/or carrier proteins for a specific ion eg: Na+ does it become permeable to the ion or is it still considered as impermeable?
When we say the membrane becomes permerable to the ion, we don't mean the ion can pass through the membrane itelf i.e. through the phospholipid layer, but rather that it passes through the carrier proteins. The more carrier proteins we have the more ions that can pass through per unit area per unit time which is essentially what the membrane being more permeable to ions means.
Frank Peters
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
in addition to the top aswell, if were talking about action potentials and how impulses get started, the channel protein can close and open depending on the situation
Gejo992
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So to apply that to the electron transport chain, when H+ ions are pumped across the membrane to create a proton gradient and the gradient is maintained by the impermeability of the membrane to H+ ions.

How come the membrane is impermeable to H+ ions if they are able to be pumped across it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
42.18%
The paper was reasonable (225)
42.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.16%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
5.73%

Watched Threads