The Student Room Group

Top University, but course not accredited?! Need advice!

So as the Guardian University Rankings for 2019 were just released, St Andrews has been ranked number 1 (!) for Computer Science, BUT their course is not accredited by the British Computer Society. While you don't actually need the accreditation to work in the industry just like a medical student would, I will admit that I am skeptical about the lack of accreditation... Should I apply there or is it big enough of a deal to not apply? Thanks :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by solark
So as the Guardian University Rankings for 2019 were just released, St Andrews has been ranked number 1 (!) for Computer Science, BUT their course is not accredited by the British Computer Society. While you don't actually need the accreditation to work in the industry just like a medical student would, I will admit that I am skeptical about the lack of accreditation... Should I apply there or is it big enough of a deal to not apply? Thanks :smile:

No you aren't doing open heart surgery on a PC. :wink:

Accreditation isn't required.

You might be interested in this:
http://iansommerville.com/systems-software-and-technology/bcs-accreditation-of-computer-science-degree-courses/
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
No you aren't doing open heart surgery on a PC. :wink:

Accreditation isn't required.

You might be interested in this:
http://iansommerville.com/systems-software-and-technology/bcs-accreditation-of-computer-science-degree-courses/

Haha, luckily I'm not! So you'd suggest that I go for it as one of my choices? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by solark
Haha, luckily I'm not! So you'd suggest that I go for it as one of my choices? :smile:

If you like the course then yes. :smile:
Reply 4
If you like the course then yes. :smile:

Thanks so much for your replies! Hopefully applying to both St Andrews and Cambridge doesn't leave me without options, considering that I don't do F Maths so I essentially have no chances at the latter......
Reply 5
Original post by solark
Thanks so much for your replies! Hopefully applying to both St Andrews and Cambridge doesn't leave me without options, considering that I don't do F Maths so I essentially have no chances at the latter......

That's only the case if you are applying for the "with Maths" course.
Reply 6
That's only the case if you are applying for the "with Maths" course.

Yes, but isn't it 'highly desirable' anyways?
Reply 7
Original post by solark

Depends on the college tbh. Does your school offer FM?
Reply 8
Depends on the college tbh. Does your school offer FM?

Yes, but I didn't take it because I wasn't sure on the course back then and I didn't want to limit my choices. I have asked my sixth form's Head about doing the AS in Year 13 but it's not possible to do it at the school, so I'd need to either self study it or get a tutor and do it as a private candidate if I were to do it on top of my 3 full A Levels (Maths Physics and Biology)
Reply 9
Original post by solark
Yes, but I didn't take it because I wasn't sure on the course back then and I didn't want to limit my choices. I have asked my sixth form's Head about doing the AS in Year 13 but it's not possible to do it at the school, so I'd need to either self study it or get a tutor and do it as a private candidate if I were to do it on top of my 3 full A Levels (Maths Physics and Biology)

One of the Cambridge AT's resident on TSR will be hosting an "ask me" thread in due course - maybe check with them then...

Alternatively I'm tagging the ever helpful @Peterhouse Admissions :smile:
Was thinking the exact same thing only yesterday. Glad someone answered it.
Reply 11
Original post by StudyJosh
Was thinking the exact same thing only yesterday. Glad someone answered it.

:smile: Glad! Where else are you considering applying?
Reply 12
One of the Cambridge AT's resident on TSR will be hosting an "ask me" thread in due course - maybe check with them then...

Thanks a lot! Hopefully they can give me some hope and motivation to apply in a few months time!
Original post by solark

Not pretending to know the ins and outs of the admission here, but I got the impression when applying that the CSAT was mainly there to distinguish how good people were at maths, so I'd guess that even if you don't have FM but do well in the CSAT, they'd be happy to take you. However not doing FM may put you at a disadvantage in terms of how much maths practice you are doing (and depending on what modules you will have taken at that point may restrict which questions you have the knowledge to complete, so if you haven't done S1 [or whatever the current linear equivalent is] you may be at a disadvantage). So it would probably be a good idea to put some extra effort into maths practice, by looking at MAT or STEP 1 papers for example.
Original post by solark
:smile: Glad! Where else are you considering applying?

Imperial, then stuck between Durham/Warwick/UCL/Manchester. Although, UCL's new requirements seem pretty high. I was thinking of Cambridge at some point but I think I'd have to do very well in the Further Maths AS so nah... (@Doonesbury idk your opinion on this but I'm sure if you don't get an A in the AS you do, it's as good as over)
Reply 15
Original post by StudyJosh
Imperial, then stuck between Durham/Warwick/UCL/Manchester. Although, UCL's new requirements seem pretty high. I was thinking of Cambridge at some point but I think I'd have to do very well in the Further Maths AS so nah... (@Doonesbury idk your opinion on this but I'm sure if you don't get an A in the AS you do, it's as good as over)

I'd agree that if you do FM you would need to do well. But then again if you aren't getting an A you might find CompSci at Cambridge isn't for you anyway... :smile:
I'd agree that if you do FM you would need to do well. But then again if you aren't getting an A you might find CompSci at Cambridge isn't for you anyway... :smile:

True, albeit I self taught in a very short period of time. I found one of the exams very easy but I suffered on other bits as I didn't have time to learn the content.
Reply 17
Original post by Faction Paradox
Not pretending to know the ins and outs of the admission here, but I got the impression when applying that the CSAT was mainly there to distinguish how good people were at maths, so I'd guess that even if you don't have FM but do well in the CSAT, they'd be happy to take you. However not doing FM may put you at a disadvantage in terms of how much maths practice you are doing (and depending on what modules you will have taken at that point may restrict which questions you have the knowledge to complete, so if you haven't done S1 [or whatever the current linear equivalent is] you may be at a disadvantage). So it would probably be a good idea to put some extra effort into maths practice, by looking at MAT or STEP 1 papers for example.

CSAT example papers look hard I will admit that..do you mind me asking if you got an offer? Do you think it's worth self-teaching AS Further Maths, considering that it's Cambridge so you could be doing all the Maths out there and still not get in? :/
Original post by solark
CSAT example papers look hard I will admit that..do you mind me asking if you got an offer? Do you think it's worth self-teaching AS Further Maths, considering that it's Cambridge so you could be doing all the Maths out there and still not get in? :/

Yeah I did, but I am taking FM, so I'm not speaking from a point of not having FM, so my impressions may not be the most accurate.

Tbh I don't know whether self teaching FM is more valuable than spending that time doing STEP/MAT style questions, that's a question that I'd ask people involved in admissions, and may very well vary from college to college. So it might be worth going to an open day and asking people what things are going to make your application most competitive.

Original post by solark

I'm afraid this is on of those situations where Colleges (that is, the individual Directors of Studies at various colleges) see things differently. FM is always a good idea for Computer Science, but how important/essential depends on the option (essential for CompSci with Maths) and the College. Peterhouse view FM as advantageous but not essential for 75% and CompSci with NatSci - we regularly interview A level candidates without FM but we often find they do less well at the CSAT. In the OP's situation, the important thing is to get as much practice solving difficult maths problems under their belt as possible rather than trying to get any particular certificate. Remember we ask for qualifications because of the skills and competencies involved, not for the certificates. They should explain the lack of FM on the SAQ, saying they weren't sure of their options until year 13 but that they are now self-studying/being tutored.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending