ishbelmacdonald
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Here is a question I am struggling with:

Reaction 1: N204 (reversible reaction sign) 2NO2

For reaction 1, explain the effect of an increase in pressure on the amount of products at equilibrium.

I thought nothing would happen because the number of particles seems to be the same, but the answer says otherwise??

Thank you!
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Position of equilibrium will shift to the left hand side/reactants as an increase in pressure favours the side with fewer moles of gas. You have 1 mole of reactants forming 2 moles of products. If equilibrium shifts to LHS you have higher conc. of reactant and therefore, lower conc. of products in the mixture.
morc13
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The forward reaction produces two moles of gas.

The reverse reaction produces one mole of gas.

Therefore, increasing pressure will favour the reverse reaction which will cause the position of equilibrium to move to the left.

The idea is that if there are fewer molecules the system will have a smaller volume even though it has the same number of atoms. This minimises the increase in pressure.

I found that this video explained it very well.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g5wNg_dKsYY
marupe
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ishbelmacdonald)
Here is a question I am struggling with:

Reaction 1: N204 (reversible reaction sign) 2NO2

For reaction 1, explain the effect of an increase in pressure on the amount of products at equilibrium.

I thought nothing would happen because the number of particles seems to be the same, but the answer says otherwise??

Thank you!
What do you mean by the number of particles? Number of atoms on each side or number of molecules?
Because the number of atoms must stay the same on each side due to conservation of mass, whereas the number of molecules can change
morc13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by marupe)
What do you mean by the number of particles? Number of atoms on each side or number of molecules?
Because the number of atoms must stay the same on each side due to conservation of mass, whereas the number of molecules can change
It's the number of gas molecules that is important. Not the number of atoms. As you correctly stated the number of atoms will stay the same.
malkimoo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
forward reaction produces 2 molecules, reverse reaction produces one molecule so incresed pressure will shift equillibrium to the left - to the side of less molecules, so more of the reverse reaction occurs, so more reactants are formed i think
marupe
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by morc13)
It's the number of gas molecules that is important. Not the number of atoms. As you correctly stated the number of atoms will stay the same.
Yep, but I was wondering if that's where her confusion was coming from as from the equation you can see how many gas molecules were on each side
morc13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by marupe)
Yep, but I was wondering if that's where her confusion was coming from as from the equation you can see how many gas molecules were on each side
Ohh sorry! Haha
ishbelmacdonald
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
For some reason I thought it was the number of atoms/particles/I don't even know, not the moles, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.78%
I'm not sure (44)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.85%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.47%

Watched Threads