Turn on thread page Beta

One of my friends has been suffering from depression for years and she told me that she considered suicide yesterday and went somewhere to do it, but decided not to at the last minute. She said that she promised herself she'd do it today but hasn't and has confided in me.

What can I do or say to help her? I'm trying to be as non-judgmental and empathetic as possible but at the same time it's so upsetting. Anyone who's been in this situation help me out?

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to get herself down to the nearest hospital and tell them she is extremely close to suicide and needs to see the crisis team before she does something that a lot of people will regret.

let her know youre there for her. its hard because if you oush too hard to help she might cut her self off from you

ReputationRep:
    Be there for her, let her know she can talk openly with you (tbh it seems like she already does), and if she wants help, let her know you'll go with her to make sure she gets the helps she needs

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of people out there that want to and can help her, but reaching out for it is the hardest part when you're that desperate. It's really positive that she's confided in you, and you should let her know that. Try to gently let her know that whilst you're glad she's taken the step to tell you, and you'll do all you can, you're worried about her and there's only so much you can do.

Let her know that if she gets to that point again, there are things she can do - like X said, she can go to A&E and they'll get someone from the psych crisis team to talk to her (you could always go with her). Otherwise, she could contact the Samaritans on 08457 909090, or visit her local branch, or contact them by email ([email protected]).

Is she getting any help for her depression? If not, you could let her know that you'd be happy to go along with her to talk to her GP about it - it's scary but the help is out there.

ReputationRep:
    What you should do is keep a very close eye on her, I cant emphasize that enough. Because when someone wants to do this, they will definitely do it. I am talking from experience

ReputationRep:
    Could you ask her to stay over with you for a few days? If she's with someone it'll keep her safe for the time being. Is she seeing anyone for her depression? If not I really do suggest you take her to her GP. Let her know you're there for her and care about her loads. Try not to smother her but at the same time try and stay around. It's a really difficult situation but she'll appreciate it in the end. I also suggest you tell her parents so that they can keep an eye out for her too. She may be cross about that at first but it's for the best. I really hope things get better for her.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2008
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.