Stopping while doing the Show me questions?

Watch
Danny00
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was wondering if its necessary to pull to the left and stop to perform a Show me question? For example, if i'm asked to switch full headlights or fog lights but dont want to blind anyone on the road? Or when Im asked to show how to check the handbreak for excessive use? I feel like it would divert my attention from the road..... what should I do?
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Danny00)
I was wondering if its necessary to pull to the left and stop to perform a Show me question? For example, if i'm asked to switch full headlights or fog lights but dont want to blind anyone on the road? Or when Im asked to show how to check the handbreak for excessive use? I feel like it would divert my attention from the road..... what should I do?
Aren't they usually done before you've even started to drive...?
Me2You877
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Aren't they usually done before you've even started to drive...?
not with the new tests. they will now question you whilst you are driving, bit silly in my honest opinion.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Me2You877)
not with the new tests. they will now question you whilst you are driving, bit silly in my honest opinion.
(Original post by Danny00)
Right, I've looked at the new guidelines for the "show me" questions and they're all perfectly reasonable to be carried out whilst driving; you should not stop unless told to do so.

The examiner will ask you to carry out something when it's safe to do so.

You won't ever be asked to check your handbrake whilst driving.
Me2You877
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Right, I've looked at the new guidelines for the "show me" questions and they're all perfectly reasonable to be carried out whilst driving; you should not stop unless told to do so.

The examiner will ask you to carry out something when it's safe to do so.

You won't ever be asked to check your handbrake whilst driving.
so whilst one is driving, they are questioned to randomly switch on the windscreen wipers. Bit silly in my opinion
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
so whilst one is driving, they are questioned to randomly switch on the windscreen wipers. Bit silly in my opinion
You may be asked to CLEAN your windscreen, yknow.. with the washer jets? As you would when driving after you've passed?
suzysues
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not silly at all. So you’re driving along the motorway and it starts to rain.... you should be able to safely put on your wipers. Same with the other show me questions. Very important, real life situations that all drivers should be able to do. So why shouldn’t they be tested?
Me2You877
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You may be asked to CLEAN your windscreen, yknow.. with the washer jets? As you would when driving after you've passed?
fair enough though I was talking from the perspective whilst one is driving
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
fair enough though I was talking from the perspective whilst one is driving
Uh.. yeah.. you tend to use the wipers when driving rather than when stationary!
Me2You877
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Uh.. yeah.. you tend to use the wipers when driving rather than when stationary!
dependent upon the weather. so if its a sunny day out its a bit random to turn your windscreen wipers on that was my initial point.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
dependent upon the weather. so if its a sunny day out its a bit random to turn your windscreen wipers on that was my initial point.
You aren't just asked to put your wipers on - you're asked to clean your windscreen with washer fluid.
Me2You877
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You aren't just asked to put your wipers on - you're asked to clean your windscreen with washer fluid.
i was asked that randomly and my windscreen was squeaky clean never mind though, glad its over with
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i was asked that randomly and my windscreen was squeaky clean never mind though, glad its over with
It's just to test you're aware of how to do it.
suzysues
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A sunny day can be even worse with flies hitting the windscreen and obscuring your view. Lots of things are done while driving, like putting headlights on if it’s getting dark, demisting the windows, sounding the horn, opening a window etc etc. Not strange at all.
Me2You877
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's just to test you're aware of how to do it.
cool.
Advisor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Glad it's all sorted.

The test was modified as a result of evidence that a lot of driving instructors out there just weren't teaching how to operate essential controls, let alone how to multi-task doing this while in motion and retaining full control of the car.

Once DVSA start testing it, only then do some instructors start teaching it. Sad, but true. The good instructors would have already been teaching this for years and the new test wouldn't have made the blindest bit of difference.

You will never be asked to do something that would be hazardous or illegal in everyday driving, such as blinding drivers with full beams or flashing hazard lights while in motion.

You may be asked to:
  • wash and clean windscreen (either front or rear)
  • switch on dipped headlights (not full beam)
  • set the rear demister (heated rear windscreen)
  • demist the front windscreen
  • open and close the side window

all without losing control of the car or the ability to maintain a steady speed. You should be familiar enough with the car to operate these controls quickly and confidently without having to look down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads