how does one say "penchant" and "homage"? Watch

halátnost
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SilverWings)
My sisters had a 'nugget crisis' in the kitchen last week. When I ran through to help them, and found Nougat, I told them I wouldn't help them until they 'said it properly' - they obviously didn't know what I meant because for the first minute or so they were shouting "NUGGIT" "NUGGAT" "NUGGOT" - I just screamed 'noo-gaa' at them and they looked so puzzled, bless them.

They know how to say it now though. :proud:

wow, congratulations on being incredibly annoying and patronising. Couldn't you have at least helped first before class commenced?
SilverWings
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by halátnost)
wow, congratulations on being incredibly annoying and patronising. Couldn't you have at least helped first before class commenced?
Uhh, it was hardly a life-threatening situation.

They'd dropped a load of Nougat Wafers on the floor and they'd all smashed and stuff - typical teengaers making a mountain out of a molehill - plus they found it as funny as I did
miss_world
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shyopstv)
Why is it pretentious to say those two words in the French way and not, for example, chassis. Am I not allowed to laugh/despair at anyone who tries to anglicise that word? Or if you were trying to show how non-pretentious you are with your anglicised pronounciation of fromage frais.
I wondered that whilst writing and to be honest I can't explain why but it just is, to me at least. I study french and even I tend to slightly anglicise words like fromage frais when I'm using them in an english context, it just sounds, well, silly to launch into a french accent in the middle of an english sentence.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.55%
No (555)
60.92%
Not really bothered about them (187)
20.53%

Watched Threads