The Student Room Group
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

Failed a module in my final year. Can It be condoned?

I got all my final year results today and one of my modules in my final year has been a total disaster. I passed all my other modules with most above 50 and some above 60 and couple above 70. My uni calculates top 200 credits from overall 240 credits. If ignoring the last two bad grades i've calculated my overall percentage to be above 60 which is a 2.1 degree. So does this mean I graduate or not i am utterly confused. I did ask my lecturer and he said the resits are in August but according to university degree classification ive achieved a 2.1 so now I am terribly confused if I do get to go to my graduation ceremony. I emailed to my uni but no one has replied yet so I am really worried at the moment as to what will happen next
Original post by Angilie
I got all my final year results today and one of my modules in my final year has been a total disaster. I passed all my other modules with most above 50 and some above 60 and couple above 70. My uni calculates top 200 credits from overall 240 credits. If ignoring the last two bad grades i've calculated my overall percentage to be above 60 which is a 2.1 degree. So does this mean I graduate or not i am utterly confused. I did ask my lecturer and he said the resits are in August but according to university degree classification ive achieved a 2.1 so now I am terribly confused if I do get to go to my graduation ceremony. I emailed to my uni but no one has replied yet so I am really worried at the moment as to what will happen next

If you have failed a module, then the normal consequence is a resit capped at 40%. You normally require 360 credits for a full honours degree irrespective of them requiring 200/ 240 credits for your grade calculation.

You either need to read the uni regulations on grade calculation or see an adviser at the SU , the exam office or your department.

If you dont have 360 credits then unis tend to make you wait for your graduation and you do so in the next winter session.

What % did you get? was it lower than 38?
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If you have failed a module, then the normal consequence is a resit capped at 40%. You normally require 360 credits for a full honours degree irrespective of them requiring 200/ 240 credits for your grade calculation.

You either need to read the uni regulations on grade calculation or see an adviser at the SU , the exam office or your department.

If you dont have 360 credits then unis tend to make you wait for your graduation and you do so in the next winter session.

What % did you get? was it lower than 38?

Well I got 340 credits so far then
Cause I failed only one module in 3 years
The disaster assignment was marked at 30
I was hoping to get it condoned if that's possible
I emailed a couple of lecturers and a programme administrator but I have not received a reply yet
Original post by Angilie

Find out yourself.
Original post by Angilie
Well I got 340 credits so far then
Cause I failed only one module in 3 years
The disaster assignment was marked at 30
I was hoping to get it condoned if that's possible
I emailed a couple of lecturers and a programme administrator but I have not received a reply yet

Condoned is normally in the 38/39 range.
The rules of your uni may differ.
Have you seen an adviser at the SU as they will know the rules faster than it will take me to look them up.
They may be deciding what to do along with everyone elses results.
The rules as I looked at them were generous, so I wouldnt rule it out completely. See what happens.

Having looked then it seems the condoned rate is in the 30-38 range i,e you are just within it and its up to them.
If you had any good reason then put in an extenuating circs claim.
I expect they are deciding now and although low you stand a chance of them wanting to get rid of you this terms and let you graduate with the others.. their discretion.

The Programme Examinations Board may record a Condoned Fail for foundation year modules and all undergraduate modules at Levels 4–6wherethe overall mark is above 30%, and for modules at Level 7where the overall mark is above 40%, subject to the following conditions.Credits in condoned modules count towards the requirements for academic progression and awards in the same way as credits which are achieved in modules that have been passed.(i)For Diplomas of Higher Education, Foundation Degrees and Bachelor’s Degrees and Integrated Master’s Degrees, no more than 20 credits may be condoned at each level.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply