loniskye
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by clrharrison)
No I just got a phone call straight away, I haven't had an email yet. I'm sure you'll hear something soon, I just put it to the back of my mind and by that point I wasn't stressing so it came as more of a surprise, however, it's easier said than done!
I just got my phone call! I got my first choice for location but third choice for subject. I wanted Primary as well but got offered English at High School which seems pretty overwhelming but I'm just going to go for it!
amaraemily
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by loniskye)
I just got my phone call! I got my first choice for location but third choice for subject. I wanted Primary as well but got offered English at High School which seems pretty overwhelming but I'm just going to go for it!
Congrats!!! What location did you get?
loniskye
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by amaraemily)
Congrats!!! What location did you get?
Thanks!!! I got North West which is where I live at the moment with my partner so I'm super happy we don't have to move house!
cr1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! Got my assessment date on 14th August! Anyone got any tips for the seven minute lesson?? Really worried about it as never had any background in teaching!
amaraemily
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cr1998)
Hi! Got my assessment date on 14th August! Anyone got any tips for the seven minute lesson?? Really worried about it as never had any background in teaching!
I had my assessment day in June and got an offer last week. When I was preparing my lesson I tried to make it as interactive as possible. Don’t just give them a work sheet to fill out but have activities to help them learn. I also made sure I checked the ‘pupils’ understanding at the end.

Make sure to practice your lesson and ask friends or family to pretend to be the pupils! I felt that making sure I didn’t run out of time was extreamly important. So when I was practicing I remember my lesson taking me about 5 mins to complete. This meant that on the day when the ‘pupils’ were trying to distract and steer the lesson off topic, I still had 2 minutes to accommodate those interruptions and didn’t run out of time. Also on the day really try to remember the ‘pupils’ names as that will help when you are trying to keep the lesson on track. For me the distractions were pretty low level. One of them pretended they didn’t understand, while the other one was not focusing on the lesson. So just be prepared with how you want to deal with this behaviour.

I was also worried about what about which competencies they may have been looking for in the lesson. My recruitment officer said they would be looking for any competiecy at this point in the day so don’t just focus on displaying one competency in the lesson. Showing organisation and planning could be just as important as humility, respect and empathy in your lesson, so just something to keep in mind as that helped me with my preparation for the interview as well!

I have never had a background in teaching academically before my assessment day but I actually found I quite enjoyed it on the day.

Hope some of this helped and good luck!!
Amara x
loniskye
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cr1998)
Honestly I was really worried for mine as well but at the end of the day most applicants said it ended up being the easiest part and the part they most enjoyed.

The assessors are great at getting into character which actually put me at ease. Mine challenged me a lot more than I had originally planned for which meant I didn't finish my lesson in time. Things like messing with pens and speaking out - just general interruptions really to see how you react. It doesn't put you off as much as you might think! I was surprised at how I was able to quickly deal with the interruption and get back to the lesson.

My advice would be to practice practice practice on a real person and each time you do get them to challenge you by interrupting you in different unexpected ways like a child might.

Good luck!
Elin Paulson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I visited the AC on the 10th July and was expecting to hear today whether I was successful or not. I haven’t had any phone calls or emails and am assuming that I didn’t succeed due to most of you getting a phone call exactly 2 weeks later. Was anyone on here there the same time as me and heard anything about their assessment? Thanks
tabithatess
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Been accepted to teach primary in the East of England! very happy, just working my way through the CKA.
uncommonsensing
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a bit of a silly question but for those who have already been to the interview, what should I wear? Does it have to be a suit or is a formal dress OK?
ashleighTF19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone,I have my assessment centre on the 14th August also! I am super nervous, particularly about the lesson. Does anyone have any tips on how to approach the lesson, the distractions etc presented by the 'pupils'. Anything would be much appreciated! Good luck everyone!
amaraemily
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ashleighTF19)
Hi everyone,I have my assessment centre on the 14th August also! I am super nervous, particularly about the lesson. Does anyone have any tips on how to approach the lesson, the distractions etc presented by the 'pupils'. Anything would be much appreciated! Good luck everyone!
In my sample lesson the ‘pupils’ got distracted easily. So for example I was planning to use the mini white boards so had layed them out for them. One pupil then started doodling on the white board. The other one purposely took a long time to grasp the concepts I was trying to teach. They raised their hands to ask “Miss, who’s your favourite X factor contestant”. So just beware they will try to derail the lesson so try to keep it on track and engage them in activities. Good luck!! Xx
Secretmouse87
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone - I had my assessment day on Friday 3rd August and just thought I'd reiterate that the lesson isn't as bad as your probably thinking it will be. I'm a little bit worried about potentially being made an offer to teach and then for them not to find me a placement and cancel two days before though! I'm changing career and if that happens I'll be somewhat scuppered financially. Has anyone else had this experience? To be honest I'm not entirely sure/convinced I'll be offered a place and I'm thinking of applying via UCAS and School Direct (I'm going for Secondary English) as I think the bursary for English is expected to go up for next year.
CarlosByron
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys! I am very interested in applying for 2019/2020 (a bit nervous though as I am a EU national, let's hope Brexit does not affect education!) yet I am a bit concerned about placements. I have worked as Spanish TA in London and I only know people there. Considering how exhausting and demanding this teacher training I will need backup from friends and relatives so... how likely do you think I would be to get a placement there?
Tas_a
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had my assessment day on the 6th Aug and Havent heard back yet. I know another candidate who got a phone call 2 days later that said they have to do an additional task at a school. So maybe i have gotten an offer but they are trying to sort out a location and school for me or maybe i havent gotten in? Thoughts anyone? X
Secretmouse87
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tas_a)
I had my assessment day on the 6th Aug and Havent heard back yet. I know another candidate who got a phone call 2 days later that said they have to do an additional task at a school. So maybe i have gotten an offer but they are trying to sort out a location and school for me or maybe i havent gotten in? Thoughts anyone? X
I’ve not heard back yet and mine was on Friday 3rd August- was kind of under the impression the longer to hear back the better? However I’m really unsure on that theory! Starting to lose hope the longer it takes sure I’ll hear back soon x
gudodohi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Elin Paulson)
I visited the AC on the 10th July and was expecting to hear today whether I was successful or not. I haven’t had any phone calls or emails and am assuming that I didn’t succeed due to most of you getting a phone call exactly 2 weeks later. Was anyone on here there the same time as me and heard anything about their assessment? Thanks
Just wondering, did you ever hear back? and what was the outcome? I’m in a similar situation.
Kairi101!
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vlb206)
If you want any advice please ask, I have just completed my first year of teach first (I am a 2017 participant).
Hi there! Quick question, what kind of help does TF provide with those considering to do the LDP away from their home location (that's if you've had to move for the LDP to a different location yourself!). Any advice on this would be much appreciated!
Secretmouse87
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Got my offer today! 😁🙌🏻 Bang on two weeks after my assessment day. Good luck to those of you still waiting xx
Mike343784
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was initially offered the option of deferring my place - but given that that was only two days before the start of training, when I'd already given up my job it wasn't a very attractive option. If they'd offered me that option a month or even a few weeks earlier it might not have been so bad. I'd try to pin Teach First down early about school placements - and don't believe anything they tell you about just being patient and waiting until they find a school - most people only get their schools in the last few weeks before training starts - but quite a few people won't get one at all.
BaffledPenguin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CarlosByron)
Hey guys! I am very interested in applying for 2019/2020 (a bit nervous though as I am a EU national, let's hope Brexit does not affect education!) yet I am a bit concerned about placements. I have worked as Spanish TA in London and I only know people there. Considering how exhausting and demanding this teacher training I will need backup from friends and relatives so... how likely do you think I would be to get a placement there?
Hi Carlos,

I am a 2018 Teach First participant and will be starting in a few weeks so thought I would just chime in! I would just say apply as soon as you can.Teach First recruit on a rolling basis so will keep interviewing people until they have a sufficient amount of participants. The London cohort (which I'm a part of) is the biggest, so you probably have a good chance of getting placed here! Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (198)
19.22%
Labour (438)
42.52%
Liberal Democrats (200)
19.42%
Green Party (54)
5.24%
Brexit Party (27)
2.62%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.39%
SNP (15)
1.46%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.97%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)