Turn on thread page Beta

Teach First applications 2019: discussion thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got my offer today! Teaching Secondary English in London!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tas_a)
    Fab well done! Which assessment center did you attend? I attended on 14th Aug, iv not heard anything yet, but its only been a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashleighTF19)
    Fab well done! Which assessment center did you attend? I attended on 14th Aug, iv not heard anything yet, but its only been a week
    I attented the North Greenwich centre, on the 3rd Aug. You should hear within 2 weeks exactly. Yesterday was the 2 week mark for me, I didnt hear anything so i emailed recruitment yesterday and they got back to me today with the outcome. Happy because i got the location and position I asked for! The 2 week wait includes the weekends aswell it seems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tas_a)
    Did you receive and email or phone call to say you were accepted? I’m wondering whether it’s a phone call for acceptance and email for rejections? Or whether they ring you also for a rejection. Constantly on edge waiting for an email or my phone to ring haha
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cr1998)
    Did you receive and email or phone call to say you were accepted? I’m wondering whether it’s a phone call for acceptance and email for rejections? Or whether they ring you also for a rejection. Constantly on edge waiting for an email or my phone to ring haha
    Since I hadn’t heard back, on the evening of it being 2 weeks already, I emailed for my outcome and then the next day I got a call about the offer, then the day after I was sent the email. From what I heard, you recieve a call first.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what is exactly on the numeracy test? I haven’t done maths in years since my gcse. Luckily my sister is a maths tutor so I can prep for the test. Will it be gcse topics or just the basics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tas_a)
    Anyone know what is exactly on the numeracy test? I haven’t done maths in years since my gcse. Luckily my sister is a maths tutor so I can prep for the test. Will it be gcse topics or just the basics?
    Having just passed both the professional skills tests (last weekend I had mine) my advice would be to use the department of educations practice skills tests. Personally, I found the practice ones harder so if you can score 70%+ on those your likely to pass the real ones. That’s just my opinion from my experience, I know others found the real ones harder. Either way the practice skills tests are a good place to start

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,I received an offer to teach secondary English in London, which was my first choice. Really pleased about that, but finding the CKA a little daunting. I wish they would have given us an idea of how many questions and roughly how long each would take to answer. Really worried about running out of time, as I don't have a full 10 days to dedicate to it.The numeracy skills test is a little intimidating, but a friend who just finished his teacher training recommended simply using the .gov resources. I found them here: http://sta.education.gov.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone. I was a 2016 participant and as of this summer have finished Teach First and am now an ambassador!
    I did Secondary English in the West Midlands and will be carrying on in my Teach First school for a third year.

If you have any questions about any of the process or general teaching advice, feel free to PM me.

And just because I saw above - I was accepted via email and never received a phone call! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eelnais)
    Good luck everyone. I was a 2016 participant and as of this summer have finished Teach First and am now an ambassador!
    I did Secondary English in the West Midlands and will be carrying on in my Teach First school for a third year.

If you have any questions about any of the process or general teaching advice, feel free to PM me.

And just because I saw above - I was accepted via email and never received a phone call! :P
    Congrats for finishing!! I was accepted with a phonecall, but then received an email soon after.

I have so many questions! What would you say was the most challenging part of your first year? Or even your first day/week/month etc? And how did you motivate yourself to keep going? Also, I'd love to know what you've found most rewarding about the programme.

I know you said to PM you, but I imagine lots of other people would love to know your thoughts too.

Thank youuuu!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gioban)
    Congrats for finishing!! I was accepted with a phonecall, but then received an email soon after.

I have so many questions! What would you say was the most challenging part of your first year? Or even your first day/week/month etc? And how did you motivate yourself to keep going? Also, I'd love to know what you've found most rewarding about the programme.

I know you said to PM you, but I imagine lots of other people would love to know your thoughts too.

Thank youuuu!
    Most challenging for me was actually the administrative side of things - inputting data, marking deadlines, sticking to how the school wanted to do things, meetings or training about things the school would stick to for a few weeks and then seemingly abandon. The idea also of "playing the game" in observations - if I'm sat down at my computer when the Head walks in for example, really I am expected to stand straight up and explain what is happening with the lesson, and I thought that seemed so false and so I would just carry on with what I was doing, which my HoD would then later tell me was the wrong thing to do. So for when you are being observed do be yourself but with added sparkle and jazz even if like me you find the process false and pandering. :P

My motivation was the kids. I have a similar background to them and I knew what a difference I could make, and honestly although some of them are scary or angry or will drive you insane, they are the best part of the job. Having a good group of colleagues helps massively too to have someone to moan to.

Most rewarding is again just seeing a kid get something they didn't, it is the best feeling ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretmouse87)
    Having just passed both the professional skills tests (last weekend I had mine) my advice would be to use the department of educations practice skills tests. Personally, I found the practice ones harder so if you can score 70%+ on those your likely to pass the real ones. That’s just my opinion from my experience, I know others found the real ones harder. Either way the practice skills tests are a good place to start
    Thank you for your advice, it's really helping my revision! I haven't done maths since GCSE so I'm really nervous and irritable haha. The pass mark for Maths seems to be 63% and for Literacy it's 60% according to Google.

ReputationRep:
    I have just recieved an offer to teach Primary in Yorkshire and Humber!
    I am very excited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tas_a)
    Would love to talk! I have received the exact same offer too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashleighTF19)
    I have just recieved an offer to teach Primary in Yorkshire and Humber!
    I am very excited
    I received an offer too but for Secondary English in London! We must have been at the same assessment centre! (14th)

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've just sent you a message
    (Original post by Dariaandahsfan)
    Would love to talk! I have received the exact same offer too

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I had my teach first assessment on the 30th July. I was told over 2 weeks after I was not accepted. I received call on my feedback yesterday. Interview feedback was fine although she said I said 'we' instead of 'I' a lot, the case study I was told I did not have a presence so my tip is make yourself heard but do not interrupt as this was one of my problems as I did not want to interrupt others. But the lesson feedback was where I disagreed with, I was complemented on lesson plan, time management and presence, but I was told I asked the assessors who were acting like pupils to take notes in the lesson which did not happen and got quite annoyed with this claim but did not want to be angry because the caller was not in the lesson and was just going off her notes. On the notes it said I was 'too strict' when I asked one pupil to sit up straight when he was slouching.

End of the day, I am disappointed but thoroughly enjoyed the day, I still want to pursue a career in teaching and if TF dont think you're good enough then there are still options available. However they were nit-picking in their feedback and quite annoyed how they said I asked them to take notes and leave them to it, which did not happen, so be careful and listen carefully to their 'feedback'. The assessors have their favourites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dariaandahsfan)
    I received an offer too but for Secondary English in London! We must have been at the same assessment centre! (14th)
    Yeah i was at that one!

ReputationRep:
    I attended the August 13th assessment centre and received my acceptance call on August 29th to teach primary in London. I’m so excited 🙌🏻
    Is there anyone here who attended the assessment centre on the same day as myself?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

So I'm applying for entry in the summer of 2019 and got an email today saying that I'd passed the first stage, meaning they're happy with my application and they'll invite me over for assessment. I suppose the assessment needs to happen in the UK, is that right? I currently live in Turkey but would be willing to go and continue the recruitment process there. My concern is that my residence permit in Turkey will be expiring soon and I can't be outside of the country while they're renewing it, so... do you think it would be rude to ask Teach First to consider scheduling my interview prior to that, during the first week of October?

Thanks for any feedback you can give!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.