Teach First applications 2019: discussion thread Watch

Nomorehockey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
A couple of weeks I think...they’re probably very busy at the moment though, so it might take a bit longer.
Stuckinacomic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey!I applied today, so don't know for sure, but it says on the website that it should take up to ten working days... Fingers crossed anyway, because otherwise I'll be compulsively checking my email for weeks! I hadn't even been considering Teach First until a Get Into Teaching event a couple of days ago, but now it's all I want to do - bit late to the party haha
ng12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Great thanks!
Nurdin24
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It took like 8 working days i think and I don't know but I am going to London. Can't believe it's tomorrow so nervous!
ng12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Good luck! I hope today goes well for you
borg.russo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Any tips for the assessment day? I have mine in less than two weeks and I’m terrified, but I think that’s mainly because I don’t know what to expect!
mrwayne
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
When did you have your assessment centre day? Mine was over a week ago and I’m getting so nervous waiting to find out 🙃
serliso
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I didn’t find out until the day after the two week point (so I waited 15 days) and I was successful. I also know other people find out the next day, or even three weeks after their AC. Try and put it out of your head!
serliso
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by borg.russo)
Any tips for the assessment day? I have mine in less than two weeks and I’m terrified, but I think that’s mainly because I don’t know what to expect!
Read everything and anything you can that relates to Teach First.
I made notes on each of the competencies, with a couple of examples that I could explain using the CAR technique. You can’t really prepare for the group task, so put it out of your head until the day!
Be positive and friendly - you’ll be fine! X
BaffledPenguin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Stuckinacomic)
Hey!I applied today, so don't know for sure, but it says on the website that it should take up to ten working days... Fingers crossed anyway, because otherwise I'll be compulsively checking my email for weeks! I hadn't even been considering Teach First until a Get Into Teaching event a couple of days ago, but now it's all I want to do - bit late to the party haha
Never too late! I applied April this year and started in June haha! Good luck 🙂
Stuckinacomic
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oh that's a relief! I'm just a bit worried I'm late because I'm applying for history in London, two very popular choices lol... I'm happy to have my second or third subject choice, but I really don't want to have a different location - I'll be moving in with my partner and he has to be in London for his job. Has anyone not been offered their first choice location or is it mostly subject that people don't always get?
Adam_1995
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey guys, I've applied for the Teach First Programme and have been invited to the assessment centre! I'm really excited about the assessment centre, but feel a bit nervous. Do you guys have any tips? or anything that I can expect?Also, I've been reading that the 7 min lesson will be presented to kids...I thought it was just the assessors!thanks
Skyewoods
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Stuckinacomic)
What parr of the event chsncha your mind?
Stuckinacomic
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well, after the documentary about Teach First that came out years ago, I was certain I would never want to do that - it looked terrible. But I'm also applying through UCAS for some PGCE courses, and I spoke to UCL and they said they only take 20 history PGCE students a year, so I started panicking. So I went to talk to Teach First because I can't imagine doing anything other than teaching and they were insanely enthusiastic! They were so encouraging and made me feel like they'd actually want me as opposed to unis who didn't seem like they cared either way Also came to the conclusion that they've probably improved things since that documentary came out. (fingers crossed)
mzymb8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi there, I was wondering if you had any advice for the examples for each of the competencies. I dont necessarily feel like I have experience to use as examples for each?Micky
Ibac
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi guys! I have my AC next week. I would like to teach Math in London. Fingers crosses x
Stuckinacomic
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey! I have my AC in a couple weeks now, really nervous! I think the bit that is scaring me the most at the moment is the group activity, to be honest... Only because I have absolutely no idea what that will entail. It says a group case study, but what does that even mean? Guess I'll just have to do it and hope for the best!
eelnais
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't know if it has changed, but advice for the group activity:

Give yourself a role - I volunteered as timekeeper.
Try to speak up as much as possible by either agreeing or disagreeing with what someone has said and offer your own reasoning linked to the case study - but don't talk the most, and I also noted people who were quiet and after having said my piece would address them, e.g., "Ellie, what do you think?" to give them a chance to speak.

There is a chance to evaluate at the end.
Evaluate yourself critically but fairly - I promptly forgot after about five minutes that I was the timekeeper, but said I had been so enthusiastic about the task and got into the swing of things yada yada, and if a class of kids were super enthusiastic about something I would let them have longer than initially planned, but in the future it's something I know I need to work on.
Evaluate others - pick out two specific people. For example, my group task had someone who was very domineering and wanted to lead the entire thing, so I said they took too much control and didn't let others have a say, HOWEVER this was clearly due to their own enthusiasm and want to succeed, and they also had very strong ideas that were worth discussing.

In my feedback I got full marks on my group feedback section.
This was the 2015 cohort interviews (though I was in my second year of uni, so I was accepted for 2016 cohort). Please someone from this year correct me if this part has changed!
mattjdobson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Applied 30th October, no word yet though.
First Choice : Primary
Second Choice : Early Years
Third Choice : English
Hopefully in the North East where me and my husband are currently based for his work.

Hoping to hear something soon, really love the whole premise of TF and would be devastated if
I didn't get to the assessment stage.

Here's Hoping.
Barbados31
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,I have my assessment day this Saturday (10th Nov) - i really want primary school but they said they think i will be offered Secondary Business if i get through!Can anybody give me any tips - I am extremely nervous and feel as though i do not do well in intense environments, although i get told i come across as confident.What sort of questions do they ask in the competency exams? any examples? The lesson i am choosing to teach is key stage 1 maths - was going to teach a short bit at the beginning then allow the children to do one example with me by drawing on the board then give them a worksheet to draw 2 of their own examples with me also helping them if need be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1581)
79.29%
Leave (413)
20.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise