The Student Room Group

Anybody from state school got into Medicine ?

Do most people from Private school get into Medicine and what extra benefit is there apart from small class size .. do igcse exam board give u extra edge ? I am in year ten in state grammar hence contemplating private for sixth form . Any thoughts on this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laboromniavincit
Do most people from Private school get into Medicine and what extra benefit is there apart from small class size .. do igcse exam board give u extra edge ? I am in year ten in state grammar hence contemplating private for sixth form . Any thoughts on this?

A Grammar School is just as good as, if not better than, a Private school and it's free. The new GCSEs are just as good as iGCSEs - please don't waste your parents money.
I am literally working my backside off .. for my mocks perfecting my techniques ...I love this new linear gcse .. already hv an idea what to do for a level .. having. a 360 degree look at a topic.. I also do cadets.. piano 7th grade work experience d of e .. volunteering work shadow .. giving my every ounce and know how imp ukcat is.. if that does not give me a chance.. my parents money will be of no further use .. you can take a horse to ... not a reluctant learner so your words give me hope .. what r u studying ?
Here's what you should be focusing on if you want to secure a place for a medical degree:
- Excellent GCSE or IGCSE grades
- Excellent A Level grades
- Excellent UKCAT scores
- Writing an excellent personal statement
- Perfecting your skills in an interview

Edit: Also find relevant work experience in a clinical setting
(edited 5 years ago)
I thought this was the formula . Private school helps with all of these .. they can guide and teach surely cannot make one learn
Original post by Politricks
Here's what you should be focusing on if you want to secure a place for a medical degree:
- Excellent GCSE or IGCSE grades
- Excellent A Level grades
- Excellent UKCAT scores
- Writing an excellent personal statement
- Perfecting your skills in an interview

Igcse 4a* 4as 1b
AS 4as
A2 .......
Chance me
my sister

3A* at a-level
4A* 5As and 3Bs at igcse

and studies medicine at Trinity College Oxford
I go to a grammar school and lots of people get into medicine from my school.Focus on your GCSEs for now.You still have lots of time before you can apply for medicine.You don't need to go to a private school to get into medicine,I know people who got into medicine and went to comprehensive schools.It doesn't really matter what school you get the grades,good ukcat etc..A-levels are quite independent and you have to teach yourself sometimes no matter what school you go to.
I thought this was the formula . Private school helps with all of these .. they can guide and teach surely cannot make one learn

my sister went henrietta then went to city of london (private).

I'm going to international school in Singapore instead... but consider private

Grammar schools also help with everything I have mentioned.

Your Grammar school will also help you. I teach at a selective school and many students go on to do medicine. There is an excellent section telling you everything you need to know about applying and which course favour which aspects e.g. GCSE grades, UKCAT, Have you found that section?
Yes I have .. thanks ... I now need to focus on mocks and then take it from there .. results will give me an indication if I am up for it.. your msg gave a boost
Original post by notevendramatic
my sister

3A* at a-level
4A* 5As and 3Bs at igcse

How??? She doesn’t have 94% A* at gcse ? Oxford I’m sure want that
Reply 13
A few lads and one girl I went to school with are quacks now, we went to what was at the time an ok Catholic secondary (it's awful now).
Original post by notevendramatic
my sister

3A* at a-level
4A* 5As and 3Bs at igcse

Which school did she go to state or private?
Original post by lion-tiger
How??? She doesn’t have 94% A* at gcse ? Oxford I’m sure want that

studies medicine at Oxford
Reply 16
I went to a normal comprehensive school
10As at GCSE. 5As at A level. Imperial medic now. Dont think about being disadvantaged because your from a state school just focus on work rn
Babe, I go to a grammar school and this year we had 40 medicine applicats including me and 31/40 have offers so yeah, attending a private school doesn't mean sh!t.
Reply 18
A lot of the applicants medical school gets are from state schools. My school is a state school and they have a number of people going into medicine each year, so you shouldn't need to worry about that. Focus more on getting your application the best you can make it.

Hi, I'm a current offer holder and I've only ever been to state schools/ sixth forms :smile: I don't think any medical school will show bias towards a specific type of school/ sixth form, just depends on the student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending