Ear piercing infection help!!!

Watch this thread
E19wilson
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Around the end of january/begining of February time I got my helix pierced. I cleaned it twice a day for a while until it was pain free, comfortable and had healed. ( I soon realised this was not long enough!). It has been getting infected a lot from when I got it pireced to now but mainly on the back to my ear. However this past week or so it has been the worst infection. As it's infected on the front of the piercing and the back. There is a huge lump on the front which is very sore and incredibly painful similarly to the back infection. I have been using tpc to try and get rid of the infection but it's not working. I want to take the piercing out ASAP but I don't know if I need to get rid of te infection first as people have said if I take it out whilst infected the infection or lump will stay forever. If anyone has some advice on this or how to get rid if an infection the the piercing that would be great or first hand experience please let me know what I should do. Thank you
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by E19wilson)
Around the end of january/begining of February time I got my helix pierced. I cleaned it twice a day for a while until it was pain free, comfortable and had healed. ( I soon realised this was not long enough!). It has been getting infected a lot from when I got it pireced to now but mainly on the back to my ear. However this past week or so it has been the worst infection. As it's infected on the front of the piercing and the back. There is a huge lump on the front which is very sore and incredibly painful similarly to the back infection. I have been using tpc to try and get rid of the infection but it's not working. I want to take the piercing out ASAP but I don't know if I need to get rid of te infection first as people have said if I take it out whilst infected the infection or lump will stay forever. If anyone has some advice on this or how to get rid if an infection the the piercing that would be great or first hand experience please let me know what I should do. Thank you

Go and see the Chemist or the practice nurse or if you have to the GP.

The Chemist can look and refer. the nurse can deal with it. If serious enough the nurse can refer you to the GP.
Alternatively 111 or a walk in centre. get it seen asap before it gets more serious.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/body-p...medical-advice
username3965844
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I had this too and GP was quite unsympathetic - take it out or try and stick with them and oozing
Maybe cust that wont ever go -
great. Claires (who pierced them) just said keep going with post piercing solution but it had been 8 weeks and I thought they had healed ok (had quick healing piercing done). Did internet research and basically taking out earrings is worst thing you can do as opens up more damaged skin to air / infection. I started using sea salt (not table salt) dissolved in boiled water then got cotton pads and squished front and back of ears 3 x day whilst I waited for much hyped spray from Amazon to arrive - Prontolind - Spray - 75 ml (Piercingcare Disinfection Cleaning Tattoo). This stuff really is magic and cleared up my oozing crusty ears. But worth mentioning I still cannot get on with anything except 925 silver or 9ct gold. Hope you get on ok.
username3955940
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
How big are the lumps? I have three helix piercings (10 piercings in total) and I have a helix that sometimes goes all weird (the other two are perfectly fine). What I do is to boil some water and mix it with some salt (1/4 salt I’d say but you can add more if your body can take it and it doesn’t hurt). Take about 5 cotton balls, tear them apart so it’s long enough to wrap around the piercing thoroughly. Soak one cotton strip and then put it onto the infected piercing front and back and apply pressure; you need to make sure the water is hot enough but not hot enough to burn your fingers or your ear as you apply it. Do this until all your cotton strips are used. Right now, it will probably hurt a lot but it will get a lot better as time goes on. If it’s really severe, I recommend doing this twice a day (so 10 strips are used) in the morning and night (out of the shower is good). It will take some time to see some effect, but it definitely helps (for me).

There’s another method my piercer told me about which is making a salt paste and applying it all over the infected area as you sleep. You will need to be careful as the salt can come off as you sleep.

In the shower as well, try cleaning your piercing with the hot water with your fingers, to give it that extra clean which I think you need. This is a good method for keeping your piercing all clean as a habit.

I think you should keep the piercing in as you recover. Make sure during the recovery period that you keep your hair out of the area as hair can get dirty stuff all over the site, making it worse. If worse comes worse, go back to your piercer or go to your GP. I’m no piercing professional and the first method was found on a piercing forum and the second was told by my piercer. I hope this wasn’t too confusing and that your piercing gets better! Good luck! If you have any further questions, don’t be afraid to ask.
username3955940
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Also, how did you get your piercing done? It’s a lot better and safer to have gotten it done with a needle (as it removes a whole section of your flesh) than a gun (very abrupt and can shatter the cartilage. Not to mention places that pierce cartilage with guns don’t disinfect their instruments well). Depending on the instruments used, I’m pretty sure it can affect your chances of getting a piercing infected
E19wilson
Rep:
(Original post by Estarossa)
Also, how did you get your piercing done? It’s a lot better and safer to have gotten it done with a needle (as it removes a whole section of your flesh) than a gun (very abrupt and can shatter the cartilage. Not to mention places that pierce cartilage with guns don’t disinfect their instruments well). Depending on the instruments used, I’m pretty sure it can affect your chances of getting a piercing infected
It was done with a needle. I am going to keep the piercing in until I can get rid if the infection. Thanks for your help, I will try the methods suggested and if it is still bad I will go back to the place i got it pieced and ask for some more tips. Thanks again
username3955940
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It was done with a needle. I am going to keep the piercing in until I can get rid if the infection. Thanks for your help, I will try the methods suggested and if it is still bad I will go back to the place i got it pieced and ask for some more tips. Thanks again
Awesome! Yeah definitely keep it in until it heals up. No problem! Hope it all goes well! Keep me updated on its progress
Xjabnrlv_saadx
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Ok I have 12 piercings and had this exact same problem with my helix and my daith piercings. It sounds as if you have an infection and a keloid.

For the infection, if it is really serious (very hot to the touch, pussing constantly, oozing waxy substances, yellow/orange in colour) then you must see a GP ASAP as you’ll probably need antibiotics. If you feel like you are capable of managing the infection then stop using tcp, I found that it dries out the piercings which leads to cracking of skin therefore introducing the potential for further infection. Mix your own solution of saline water using non iodised sea salt (eBay or Amazon) and boiling water. Mix in about 1tsp with 1/4 cup of boiling water. The solution should taste like tears NOT the sea. Soak a cotton pad/ Q tip in the solution and touch it to the piercing, as hot as you can stand it. This will soften any lumps of crust and clean up the piercing. The saline water also acts as a disinfectant (water potential and bacteria). Little tip that I found useful was using hand gel to disinfect my piercings. This was useful but I don’t recommend because it is really thick so prevents pathogens from leaving the piercing site. If you are going to use handgel please ensure that you use 99.99% antibacterial hand gel, none of this strawberry glittery junk (🙃), and remove the hand gel from the site after no more than 10 minutes. Always wash your hands with antibacterial soap before handling a piercing.

For your keloid, crush aspirin with a teaspoon and mix it with the tiniest drop of water so it turns into a paste. Then apply this paste to your keloid with a q tip. Leave the paste on the keloid overnight. Do this every day for 1-2 weeks and your keloid should be healed.

Be patient and don’t remove the jewellery. I did this with my third lobe piercings and the infection became trapped, leading to a build up of scar tissue. Long story short, I have really obvious scars on my ears now, they’re thick and quite unpleasant.

Good luck healing!!
E19wilson
Rep:
thank you for the advice!! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (17)
29.31%
Take a gap year (14)
24.14%
Resit my exams (9)
15.52%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (8)
13.79%
I don't know yet (7)
12.07%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads