further maths anyone ?? Watch

trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i was only planning to do FP1 since ive been told its mostly C3/4 work.. With maths the concept ill pickup the first time you teach me. Hower because ive never (until recently) practised maths and just applied the same theory thats made me so good at science of just reading over and over ive flopped. I really do want to take it though since i do have an interest in maths.
BibbleJW
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did OCR:
C1-4
M1-3
S1+2
FP1+3
D1

I didn't reallt have a lot of trouble with any of them (though earlier M modules link in heavily with physics, if you are doing it).
meema
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
do you think M1 and M2 are doable by non-physicists
Keoje
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bumblebee_em)
Why not?
*bobo*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Errrr, yes. Physics would have in no way helped me with the mechanics modules I did, they just blab on about motion but never model it.
KSP
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's certainly doable, but i cant imagine it being useful for anything other than physics or engineering. I do edexcel so i can't really comment on the topics in it, but i wouldn't think it differs that much.

And in my experience, further maths can be hard or easy depending on the modules. The pure modules can be challenging and difficult at times, especially FP2 in edexcel. Applied modules can be easy (ie:- statistics lol, where it actually gets easier in the later modules) or mechanics, which can be pretty damn difficult in the later modules (M3 onwards).
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do AQA.

AS: FP1 (easy - only needs C1 and C2 knowledge!!), FP2 (ridiculously hard), S2 (easy)

A2: FP3 (currently easier than FP2 but maybe I'll eat my words later), S3 (OK so far but am altogether not too fond of stats), M1 (easy - back to AS Maths stuff :p: )

For regular maths I did C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 and D1.

I absolutely hated D1 - but it is very easy marks. I got 98 in it so I'll probably use that instead of the M1 I'll be sitting in June. FP2 was the hardest maths module I've ever had to do!
FFCrusader
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Glutamic Acid)
It's apparently the easiest module. :p:

The actual processes are quite easy to understand, and there's not too much to learn. But I can be rather careless so tedious, longwinded algorithms don't really sit well. Especially the Simplex algorithm and Dijkstra's algorithm.

lol apparently it is, but for some reason its my lowest score yet :p:

maybe because they want me to write out all the working and i'm just too lazy to do so.... =|
turgon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I 'm doing all of Edexcel A level maths this year (done C1,C2,S1 and currently doing C3,C4,M1) and then the further pure modules next year (FP1, M2, S2 in January and FP2,FP3,M3 in June). The pure modules are pi** easy so far, but sometimes some topics are quite tedious (Addition/Double Angle/Half Angle formulae for trig). I found S1 a pain, but M1 is currently ok, although I can understand why non physicists find it more difficult than S1 sometimes.
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FFCrusader)
lol apparently it is, but for some reason its my lowest score yet :p:

maybe because they want me to write out all the working and i'm just too lazy to do so.... =|
Oh yeah, the mark scheme is anal about the small things.
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ive chosen m1+m2 for maths and s1+s2 for stats.. but i suck at drawing graphs etc and generally hate stats so ill have to see how it goes
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
You hardly have to draw graphs at all for Stats. At least for S1 (I didn't in my exam.)
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thank the lord for that. is it just menial number crunching then?
Gaara.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
D1 and FP1 i will do well in..just stats thats gonna bring me down. So boring i just sleep during lessons. And having a part time teacher for it don't help matters either.
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
For most AQA and Edexcel, pretty much.

However, the official title of OCR's S1 is Probability and Statistics 1, and there's quite a large chunk of probability and combinatorics there.
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
whats OCR MEI btw?
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
One of the maths specifications OCR use. There's OCR, and OCR MEI. MEI is a bit different to other specs, it has some oddly titled modules and a few of them have coursework in them too.
Hashshashin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm on OCR.

Modules done so far:

C1: 100/100
C2: 100/100
C3: 100/100
C4: 91/100 (self-taught)
FP1: 93/100
M1: 91/100
S1: 99/100

And to do:

FP2
FP3 (self-taught)
S2
M2 (self-taught)
M3 (self-taught)

Going well so far!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (246)
27.27%
No (656)
72.73%

Watched Threads