Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    now, this is the first time i've ever had to do this so i'm not 100% sure how it works.

anyway, i understand that you have to declare the car as SORN when it's sold. we purchased the said car on the 24th February 2008. we then had to wait 3 weeks for the registration certificate to come through, and i've only jsut got round to declaring the car as SORN as of today (12th March 2008).
    the website said that the SORN would come into affect as of the 1st March 2008, leaving a time period of which the car was neither SORN or licenced, though only being 5 days.
    as i see it, we could not have done it much faster, as we needed the Document Reference Number off the Registration Certificate, which didn't arrive until a couple of days ago.
    anyway, i was just filling out the form online and at the end it said i may be contacted by DVLA Licencing Officials because of the gap. am i (well, we) likely to be fined for not declaring SORN straight away?

ReputationRep:
    possibly, possibly not.
    They are little jobsworths down at the DVLA. They will likely try and fleece you.
    Dont worry about it in the meanwhile. You have a legitimate explanation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    now, this is the first time i've ever had to do this so i'm not 100% sure how it works.

anyway, i understand that you have to declare the car as SORN when it's sold. we purchased the said car on the 24th February 2008. we then had to wait 3 weeks for the registration certificate to come through, and i've only jsut got round to declaring the car as SORN as of today (12th March 2008).
    the website said that the SORN would come into affect as of the 1st March 2008, leaving a time period of which the car was neither SORN or licenced, though only being 5 days.
    as i see it, we could not have done it much faster, as we needed the Document Reference Number off the Registration Certificate, which didn't arrive until a couple of days ago.
    anyway, i was just filling out the form online and at the end it said i may be contacted by DVLA Licencing Officials because of the gap. am i (well, we) likely to be fined for not declaring SORN straight away?

Nah, that'll be fine. There are tolerances in place, which is why you can leave it over a week before renewing it.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.